HMS Musketeer 1/350

salmo G

After a nice straight forward build of Eduards 1/48 spitfire I wanted to see if I could finish a ship before Telford. I had an Atlantic models 1/350 Musketeer that I had finished over 10 years ago but I was never happy with, not least because the paint scheme didnt quite seem right with the combination of 507C and MS4A looking mixed up compared to photo's., Now that Colourcoats have released their new range this seemed like a chance to see what difference they would make. I quickly pulled the ship apart (easy when the main superstructure blocks were origionally glued in place with white glue, stripped all the railings off and dunked the seperate parts in oven cleaner to strip the paint.

I've made a start by adding plating runs and some extra deck detail, plan is to improve some details and correct some of the issues with the original kit (and some mistakes I built into it myself!) i've got a few photos that I am using as a basis for the ship however theres still quite a few areas I dont have enough details of so no doubt there will be quite an element of guesswork involved in some of the detail work but I wont tell if you don't.......

The kit itself is lovely and while a little simplistic in places gives a very sound basis to improve (if you want to) and the range covers some really lovelly subjects.

I did have some pics of the model in its original condition however i seem to have misplaced them so the couple of pics of it halfway through the stripdown process will have to do to give a feel for what I started from.

44183467314_357c9cf29b_k.jpg44183580944_def80e7da3_k.jpg31030442798_bcdee636e1_k.jpg31030442798_bcdee636e1_k.jpg44530557281_298a4ca678_k.jpg43813058554_fbcc90e6fc_k.jpg

• Like 11

Interesting "rebuild", and already looking good. Two questions - what have you used for the scuttles and how did you do the plating runs? Difficult to see both in the pictures.

Thanks

Terry

Is it this scheme you're doing using the 1942 paints applied at commissioning?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Musketeer_(G86)#/media/File%3AThe_Royal_Navy_during_the_Second_World_War_A21887.jpg

If so then yes, the old Snyder & Short colours would have looked weird on it - their 507C was lighter than their MS4A - in reality it was the other way around.

Really keen to see this one come together. I don't get much opportunity to use my new colours on actual models :(

Hi Terry

The plating runs are simply Tamiya tape, dead easy to apply, maybe a tad thick for destroyers but dosen't look too out of place, the portholes are from a Flyhawk set (usn I think!)

Jamie

Yup thats the one (using that pic as part my ref!) got some paint on some bits already and it looks a whole lot better that the original scheme!

Few more pics of progress below,

Added new barrels to the turrets (they are only 45calibre designed for J/K/N class I think, should be 50 so I extended them slightly with plastic rod)

I was always a bit uneasy about the TT arrangement with the missing central tube, I know there was set used like this however i've managed to unearth a few overhead pics of L/M class destroyers and they all show "normal " tubes so i've spent a bit of time slicing n dicing them to suit.

Bridgework about halfway through detailing up, all simple stuff and just gives the kit an air of extra finesse

Enjoying this so far, hoping to get major paintwork on the hull by the end of the weekend, then we will see how much better the colourcoats range really is!

43121195310_5df4de2ad0_k.jpg

• Like 10

Looking good so far! I like the wind baffles you've added to the bridge - little details like that just add that little bit extra to any model.

Mike.:)

Edited by MikeR

3 hours ago, salmo G said:

Hi Terry

The plating runs are simply Tamiya tape, dead easy to apply, maybe a tad thick for destroyers but dosen't look too out of place, the portholes are from a Flyhawk set (usn I think!)

Thanks. The tape looks really effective actually. The ports look good too.

Terry

Edited by Terry1954

Hi Everyone

Made a lot of progress this week on Musketeer, main camo colours are on the hull, railings fitted and a bit of (over the top) weathering applied.

• The new colours from Colourcoats look much better to my eye than the original colours  (see my earlier model of HMS Rattlesnake for a comparision, apart from the small area of MS3 she wears the same 3 colours as Musketeer but with the original colourcoats paints)
  • Scratchbuilt the 4" AA gun for a bit of light relief.....
  • Added quite a few seperate deck fittings to give a little detail to the build, some are based on pics some are educated guesswork based other similar ships and past experience, to my eye at least they improve the  basic appearance of the kit and are pretty simple to sort and add (stole quite a few of these bits from the pile I made up for HMS Ceylon...... which I will get back to middle of next year)
  • 4" gun support structure was completely re built when I originally assembled the kit, unfortunatly I managed to drop it when cleaning it and had to totally rebuild it again!
  • Added raised circles to the deck around the main turrets as shown on various pics, not sure quite what they are for (guess they are to keep people away from the  moving turret) but made them too small..... and in the spirit of crashing on and just enjoying myself can't be bothered to replace them!

31050747778_8a1803b51d_k.jpg31050746478_6c4d588909_k.jpg29987141147_576f47726d_k.jpg29987143797_43ab5dec5e_k.jpg

• Like 12

7 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Very nice indeed.

I am really warming to the new Colourcoats - the G45/507C really closely matches the few original wartime colour pictures

Rob

Hi Rob,

We're just lucky that:

1) Paint Research Station at Teddington, along with certain officers tasked with coming up with effective camouflage paints and schemes, carefully measured all these colours and wrote down their colour coordinates and/or reflection factors back in the day;

2) That these documents were carefully preserved in the National Archives and that other enthusiasts including @dickrd knew they existed and petitioned me to read what they had read and;

3) That modern technology allows these colour coordinates to be reverse engineered much more practically than would have been the case even 20 years ago.

This wouldn't have been possible without all the help I've had!

• Like 2

Slowed a little but still moving forward, added the bridge plus a few other bits n pieces and just about got the remaining major parts cleaned up and ready for paint, unfortuntaly I have damaged some of the PE davits when I removed them so needed to make some new ones (which look nowhere near as good as the originals!)

One of the reasons I chose to redo this instead of starting something new was that I wanted to try mounting her in a rough sea, so far i've only really made a couple of seas and thy've all been fairlty smooth (and if this dosnt turn out ive not really lost anything) so ive made a start with a base and plastic card surround, next I need to choose a medium to sculpt the sea from, hoping to make some headway with this over the weekend.

44382206164_285dd5a8ac_k.jpg44382205924_65a47cba6f_k.jpg30164765107_9f89b512f0_k.jpg

• Like 9

Looking great so far I will be trying to get a similar look with the weathering on my Eskimo :book:

Will be interesting to see how you achieve your rough sea base for this project 

beefy 

6 hours ago, salmo G said:

Hi Jamie

No problem, it will hopefully be complete in a couple of weeks and I will post some pics in the RFI section, as a matter of interest what is the social media page your refering to?

Brilliant!

We have a Facebook page we try to keep active, and in addition I'm one of the Admins on the popular Facebook group "Warship Scale Modelling". We've also a gallery on our website :)