Primer options?

Filler

I apologise for asking about this as it's a subject that I know comes up quite frequently. I already have a favourite primer, Halfords Grey Primer in a large rattle can. However, as much as I like this stuff, when you've just got some undercarriage legs to prime, it's just in no way practical to use. Plus, with it being a rattle can, I'm restricted to fine weather priming as I need to go outdoors.

So that leaves me with using the airbrush, and that's something I've been putting off like nothing on earth. I really fear messing up my airbrush with primer, which is a pity as I have read that Mr Surfacer 1200 thinned with Mr Levelling Thiner is excellent.

Another alternative I have seen mentioned is using a Tamiya acrylic as a primer. I seem to recall Phil Flory using that in a video build. Sounds good in that it's the same as the paint I use, but if I'm to spray the same stuff as I paint with as a primer, then why prime at all?

As fashions change and new products continually appear, are there any suggestions that might make priming a little easier and get me modelling quicker?

You can use Tamiya paints to prime (small parts as it will get expensive to cover a big area) especially good with the Mr Levelling thinner, infact thats what I thin my tamiya paints with now as it gives them a smoother slightly less matt coat after spraying than using their X-20A

But if you have a airbrush decant some paint from the halfords tin and use it through your airbrush, saves a lot of wastage.

So long as you clean it after I can't see it doing any more harm to it than using Tamiya paint.

I put Mr. Metal Primer through mine without worrying... All primers can be cleaned (some with hot products, others just need some IPA). Because I'm particularly lazy I just use a bit of Leveling thinner to clean up the airbrush after use of enamels and lacquers. If I remember to grab the bottle I have some automotive thinner that eats through anything (well except for water based stuff, that tends to go like glue). My advice would be not to bother decanting (too much time wasted IMHO), just grab yourself a bottle of Mr. Surfacer 1200 and some Leveling thinner and enjoy. The results are brilliant. Or if you're a fan of Tamiya I remember they do their Surface primer in a bottle as well (never used it though).

Thanks for that suggestion. As it happens, I did decant some Halfords rattle can into a jar and whilst it wasn't as messy as I feared, it was ceratinly a lot of faff and very time consuming. I took the cans to work and hot melt glue some clear flexible tube to the nozzles.  Then at home, outdoors with old clothes and gloves I sprayed paint into a jars. I decanted some grey and some white primer. Then I've had to leave it for the propellant gases to evaporate over night. Now I'm wondering what ill effects of not sealing the paint might have. And I'm still unsure as to the best medium for cleaning up afterwards.

So, after all that, I think that I might just go down the Mr Surfacer 1200 and Levelling Thinner route.

The crazy thing is, I've even got unopened bottles of Stynlrez and Alcad primer. I just have an irrational fear of using primer in the airbrush and always chicken out and spray tons of rattle can primer all around the back yard instead - when the weather allows. Hopefully I can overcome this aversion if I give the Mr Hobby products a try and it works out well.

Have a look on line about decanting from a can, 5 mins for me with no mess, transfer the paint to a small dropper bottle, leave the cap loose to let the paint de-gas and away you go.

Here you go, this one shows the same way I do it

I've always found the Ammo one shot primer works for me straight out of the bottle and through the gun

Cleans up easily as well, and it comes in grey, black and white

Ian

I'm just preparing a shopping list and was going to buy Mr Surfacer 1200, but then noticed the Mr Finishing Surfacer. I've read of quite a few people using 1200 but is the finishing Mr Finishing Surfacer even better? Logic would suggest so as it's finer, comes in three colours and costs almost double.

1 hour ago, Filler said:

is the finishing Mr Finishing Surfacer even better

It is supposed to, but TBH I was not impressed. Neither I buy 1200 any more, 1000 and 500 cover all my needs.