Hasegawa 1/72 S2F-1 Tracker

hsr

This is my 1/72 Hasegawa S2F-1, AKA S-2A, Tracker. This is a pretty old mold from Hasegawa dating back to 1975 and it shows its age with more then the usual amount of flash, raised panel lines and somewhat sparse on the interior. But that being said it went together it went together well with good fit. I also had the Pavla and Eduard interiors, Quickboost engines and after market decals from PrintScale, MicroScale and Blackbird.

The Pavla interior had a detailed cockpit and the electronics compartment behind the cockpit. The Eduard interior had their usual color panels, seat belts and other doo-dads. The Pavla interior required major surgery to the fuselage and so was incompatible with the Eduard. Luckily last year I build the Mach 2 E-1B and had purchased another S2F kit to use arts parts. Left over from that I had a second complete fuselage. So I built one with the Pavla and one with the Eduard. In the end I had problems with the fit of the Pavla and with warping of the resin so I went with the Eduard. But I did use the excellent seats from the Pavla so it wasn't a total loss.

For the decals I was originally going to go with the all blue scheme, but I also had decals for the gray and white scheme. After much thought and indecision I figured that most of its service life would have been in the gray and white scheme so I went with the Printscale decals. This was a bit of a mistake. The Printscale decals were nice, but they were extremely thin and tended to wrinkle and roll into a little ball at the slightest attempt to move them, so in the end I ended up stealing from the Microscale set and should have used it to begin with. 

In the end I am happy with it, so take a look:

OIt0Mcmv_o.jpg

ePzwS5W3_o.jpg

K0zPwqH5_o.jpg

Jl9mVmB7_o.jpg

GB0XANNk_o.jpg

Ja4qILqV_o.jpg

Next up is the Planet Models XF10F-1. Enjoy

• Like 18

I looked at the Anigrand version which allows you to swing the wings, but it was seriously under sized, at least using the drawing in the Gunter book. So I am going with the Planet Models one. 

Thanks

9 minutes ago, hsr said:

Hasegawa has always been my go-to company. Even there old stuff fits better then, say, Italeri

In general I agree, however, I did an F-104 that I bought in the mid-80's (the molds might have dated to the mid '70s) that was the rare exception.  It was terrible! There was very little detail and the wheel wells were open to the inside.  The fit wasn't that great either. Otherwise, I've had great experiences with their models.

1 hour ago, @opus999 said:

I did an F-104 that I bought in the mid-80's (thhe inside.e molds might have dated to the mid '70s) that was the rare exception.  It was terrible! There was very little detail and the wheel wells were open to t

According to Scalemates.com the original Hasegawa F-104 was created in 1963 and they didn't update it until 1989. So you must have had a pretty old one

That's a nice Tracker HSR, it really looks good in that scheme, a much better choice than GSB for a larger plane like this to my mind. I picked up a started one of these recently, the work done on it was minimal & decent so no problems there, seeing yours, I'll be rapt if I can come up with something like that. :)

Steve.

On 9/24/2018 at 8:01 PM, hsr said:

1 hour ago, @opus999 said:

I did an F-104 that I bought in the mid-80's (thhe inside.e molds might have dated to the mid '70s) that was the rare exception.  It was terrible! There was very little detail and the wheel wells were open to t

According to Scalemates.com he original Hasegawa F-104 was created in 1963 and they didn't update it until 1989. So you must have had a pretty old one

Ahh.... I hadn't checked Scalemates.  Well, that makes a lot of sense!

Congratulations on the beautiful Tracker!

• Thanks 1