"Spirit Of Atlantic City, N.J." P-47D of Captain Walker 'Bud' Mahurin - Tamiya 1/48 Razorback

PlaStix

On 26/09/2018 at 11:59, J Sherratt said:

That's a great piece of work, well done. John

Hi John and thank you very much for your comments. I had a really enjoyable build with this one.

Kind regards,

Stix

Great build and a very nice paint job mate. :)

It looks really nice and you put a great effort into it! I have yet to build a Razorback from Tamiya but I planned to do this individual too, or maybe of of Robert Johnson´s.. might save your thread as an inspiration.. ;)

I am not a huge fan of seeing bombs and rockets on an 8th AF P-47 and especially one from 56th FG (I do not they used them on occassion though) - but it sure looks cool!

I have also read some about Bud before and I seem to remember he might have shot down one of Adolf Galland´s brothers, during one of the Schweinfurt raids.. He also got some stupid bollocking from a senator after the Korean War since he was one of those PoWs used by the commies in propaganda. yeah - what do you do when there is a rifle at your back and probably noo food unless you read up that manifest.. 😕 Interesting career to say the least though! He also evaded capture in France after a bomber, he shot down, hit his engine..?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/09/2018 at 15:15, Uncle Pete said:

About five pictures in I was saying, "Okay, enough of the real one, where's the kit?"

:rofl2: Hi Uncle Pete. You are way too kind! Thank you.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 26/09/2018 at 17:52, corsaircorp said:

Hello Stix,

:mike:Really brilliant job on your Jug !

May be should I consider get back to the hairy stick ? 🤔

So, only by brush ! really astonishing !

Congrats !

Sincerely.

CC

Hi corsaircorp. Thank you very much for your kind comments. I do enjoy the process of painting that I make use of and, I think, I may not enjoy using an airbrush as much.  I have read of a few people who have had problems with airbrushes and it appears to have gone wrong very quickly and big time! With just using hairy sticks, if something starts to go wrong, it's easy to stop and clean the paint off. If you haven't seen how I paint with flat brushes - there is a link to my video in my signature at the bottom of this post.

Thank you again.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

On 26/09/2018 at 22:51, Ron Pearcy said:

I'm currently building this kit but the Little Chief version. It's a lovely kit but how the he'll did you get the decals to settle on the front of the bombs. I couldn't manage to  even with lots of Microsol.

Beautiful build by the way. Stunning..

Hi Ron and thank you for your comments.  I couldn't get the decals to settle on the front of the bombs at all either - so I ended up painting them on with Revell matt yellow with a very fine pointed brush.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 9/26/2018 at 8:18 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi Marek. Hope you are well. Not seen you around here for a while. Thank you for your very kind comments. Have you got any model building projects ongoing at the moment? 

Kind regards,

Stix

hi Stix

how nice you remember me. I've been busy lately with non-model work, but I hope it will change soon :)

• Like 1

Hi Marek. I couldn't possibly forget you and your fantastic models!! Hopefully, when you get chance to start making models again, you will post them on Britmodeller. Hope you have a good evening.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 27/09/2018 at 17:07, wimbledon99 said:

:clap::clap: Beautiful work of art, Stix!! Bravo :clap::clap:

Hi Nigel and thank you - you are too kind! 👍

Kind regards,

Stix

On 28/09/2018 at 11:51, Paramedic said:

Great build and a very nice paint job mate. :)

It looks really nice and you put a great effort into it! I have yet to build a Razorback from Tamiya but I planned to do this individual too, or maybe of of Robert Johnson´s.. might save your thread as an inspiration.. ;)

I am not a huge fan of seeing bombs and rockets on an 8th AF P-47 and especially one from 56th FG (I do not they used them on occassion though) - but it sure looks cool!

I have also read some about Bud before and I seem to remember he might have shot down one of Adolf Galland´s brothers, during one of the Schweinfurt raids.. He also got some stupid bollocking from a senator after the Korean War since he was one of those PoWs used by the commies in propaganda. yeah - what do you do when there is a rifle at your back and probably noo food unless you read up that manifest.. 😕 Interesting career to say the least though! He also evaded capture in France after a bomber, he shot down, hit his engine..?

Hi Paramedic and thank you very much for your comments.

With regards the bombs and rockets - that's due to me rushing ahead and not checking the instructions! As I'd built a bubbletop version from Tamiya, which had both installed, I just started making and painting both. When I realised this version should only have rockets I felt I'd spent too much time on the bombs not to include them. And I agree - it does look cool with both on board!

Thank you too for more information about Bud - fascinating stuff.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 30/09/2018 at 13:24, Mr B said:

LOvely work n great photos....like the effects very realistic 

rgds

Thank you very much Mr B. Most kind. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

On 10/3/2018 at 9:36 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi Paramedic and thank you very much for your comments.

With regards the bombs and rockets - that's due to me rushing ahead and not checking the instructions! As I'd built a bubbletop version from Tamiya, which had both installed, I just started making and painting both. When I realised this version should only have rockets I felt I'd spent too much time on the bombs not to include them. And I agree - it does look cool with both on board!

Thank you too for more information about Bud - fascinating stuff.

Kind regards,

Stix

Nah, it looks great. ;) What I meant was, that I like seeing them as pure fighters. :)

• Like 1

On 9/25/2018 at 9:12 AM, PlaStix said:

During World War II he was credited with 20.75 aerial victories, making him the sixth-highest American P-47 ace. He was credited with shooting down 3.5 MiG-15s in Korea, giving him a total of 23.25 aircraft destroyed in aerial combat.

I know things are different here in the Antipodes, but my mathematics makes that 24.25.

Beautiful build by the way, and great tribute to an outstanding pilot.

DennisTheBear

• Thanks 1

On 30/09/2018 at 19:28, djos said:

Tamiya Thunderbolt is beautiful kit by itself, and your work simply got everything from base plastic.

Very nice and sharp build.

Best regards

Hi djos and thank you for your comments. Yes, the Tamiya 1/48 P-47s are beautiful kits, both in terms of detail and build-ability.  It  certainly makes it an enjoyable kit to make.

Kind regards,

Stix