LCM III -1965 ***Finished ***?

Paul821

As the only time I have built this in the past was when it first came out and I have no instructions - will my memory of 53 years ago lead to a build? Standard sprue shot to follow

In the bag:

DSC02087

No box picture as it came from a D-day set and the box was lost years ago.

Edited by Paul821
posted too soon
  • Like 7

More happy memories from YoungSleeper days. When I built this SleeperDad had me fill the inside with polystyrene. What a result it floated in the bath 😮 The Sherman didn't for long though....

I hope you enjoy it as much as I am mine. Oh err Missus..

• Like 2

Yet another memory jogger appears!

I built one of these when it first came out. I of course ignored the instructions, and came a cropper. I can't remember now if I got the Sherman or the Landing Craft wrong, but the Sherman wouldn't fit inside the Landing Craft once complete. The side walls of one or the other got reversed during the build.

Tony.

• Like 2

Opened the bag

DSC02088

and the 10 year old inside me thought I can finish this one between getting home from school and tea / homework.

However the retired Project Manager said NO - on time and to required quality. Paint takes time to dry and..

deck

there are not too many obvious sink holes but enough and...

man 2

this poor chap seem to have suffered a stomach wound.

10 hours ago, SleeperService said:

fill the inside with polystyrene. What a result it floated in the bath

What a great idea - again said the 10 year old!!

Off to research some colours.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hope you have been paying attention - because what I did not notice when I emptied the bag was that these parts

the missing

were shy and did not want to appear in the photo - they were stuck in a corner at the bottom of the bag.

Thanks to those chaps at the Airfix Tribute Forum I found the instructions - these are the Heller instructions so I hope that following them will not lead to me being kicked out of the build!

My original idea was to build the kit as quickly as possible and then brush paint it, to replicate my build of 50+ years ago. I then looked at the breakdown of colours and number of parts requiring each colour

Figures - 3

Grey - 27

Gun metal - 10

Matt Cream - 1

Matt Rust - 8

Matt White 4

Grand Total 53

Apart from the figures only two parts require a second colour. I thus came up with another plan. Do some pre-assembly then use Halfords grey primer on all parts and leave 25 of them as is. Then brush paint the other 28. At that point I will review the plan to see if primer is adequate.

I suppose I better stop planning and actually do some work with paint and glue.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Hook said:

Does this help?:

Thanks for pointing me here.

As I mentioned I found the Heller instructions c/o The Airfix Tribute Forum - what this does show is how superior (in my view) the Heller instructions are to the Airfix ones of this period..

• Like 1

Now for some real modelling

stage 1

Thought I would include all the tools and materials used at each stage.

Only 2 items stuck together this evening and Miliput was used to heal the "wounded" crew man. The reason I used Milliput is that my LMS is 19 miles away but our nearest town has an excellent arts shop, and I like to support them by purchasing items and this is an item they stock.

Leaving overnight and hopefully more progress first thing in the morning.

• Like 4

Progress this morning. Attached all parts that are to be grey to the hull and deck. Quick coat of Halfords primer on one ide- waited two hours and coated the second side.

Again all tools etc shown in photo

Stage 2

Next step should be mid-afternoon - beginning to think that this should have been an entry in the recent Blitzbuild.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TonyW said:

The Bren Carrier and Gun would be a logical load for it...

I know - that kit is sitting there crying out "PLEASE BUILD ME", but I must resist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

I know - that kit is sitting there crying out "PLEASE BUILD ME", but I must resist.

Go on, you know you want to. Mine was done in a day and a half between jobs on my main builds. 

Andy

• Like 2

This is the work of  last night and early this morning. I was very pleased that there was no paint creep under the masking tape - this seems a common issue for me with things-with-wings.

Although it looks nearly complete none of the main components are actually glued yet!

Stage 3

There should have been a "tin" of Humbrol 113 in the picture.

• Like 5

Extremely busy weekend - but various bits and pieces done and the current state of build is..

DSC02197

the crew man is not sea sick or drunk - its just for reasons I will reveal soon he is not glued on. The pegs are because it is only at this very late stage that I have glued the sides on.

Unless something unexpected turns up - the pegs should be off and the decals on this evening and this OOB (out of the bag) build complete.

• Like 4

There are two parts to my reveal..

Here is the OOB build

DSC02198

Sorry about the depth of field in these shots, promise to do better.

DSC02199

And the first reveal is 

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:14 PM, Foxbat said:

Go on, you know you want to

I had to take time off to add this

DSC02200

DSC02201

I did not enter this as a separate thread in the GB as it already has made an appearance.

Before I post the LCM in the gallery I will make at least one further post showing the bloopers in the build and also the final reveal.

Good news is I actually did enjoy this, and before anyone even suggests it I am not building the 25pdr before the closing date.

• Like 5

Before I post the LCM in the Gallery a few bloopers to own up to!

First is slightly OT and not mine - but from the Universal carrier instructions

DSC02202

Notice the tracks on one side say paint 53 and the other 5!

Now to mine

DSC02203

I attempted to use as little glue as possible and having pre painted the hull this was an issue as the rear one of this slanting bits! fell off and I has to fashion a new one from scratch

DSC02204

I thought there were only to in this but looking at the phot there are three!

The railing seem off kilter

There is a gap in he side of the cabin

Not being a nautical person - I will call them vents - these are not the originals, I knocked on off and replaced both with ones from the Mauretania I built some years ago.

The last issue was not on my making

DSC02205

The decals on the starboard side did split but were recoverable - when I tried to apply those to the port side they just disintegrated!

Having said that I will declare this complete and post a couple of images in the gallery.

The final reveal that I promised, and the reason that the crew members & lifebelt were not glued down is I hope that this is not the last appearance on the LCM on Britmodeller as it should re appear under Diorama's as I attempt the beach scene of the title,

Thanks for watching.

• Like 4