Churchill AVRE with SBG assault Bridge

vladgothic

Hi all

I recently joined the forum and thought I would share my current WIP. I've not been actively modelling for a few years, concentrating on more wargaming projects so this is being kept fairly straight forward!

These are the base kits.

EnFiTAQ.jpg

And this is where I am at presently.

NnsyWeJ.jpg

SKHGJuM.jpg

Hope its of interest and happy to accept any constructive C&C

• Like 9

Looking good so far.......presently on a Cromwell Centaur project.....but am tempted to go for one of these after, starting to get into Brit armour........

You'll have let us know any issues with the AFV kit. Did one myself, and had a few issues on fit and part design.....

Simon.

Thanks Simon, good choice on the Cromwell, good looking tank!

As to the Churchill, I've had no issues really, a couple of items are a little short shot, but easily fixed. The rear fenders are misshapen due to, most likely, being ejected from the tool before cooling fully. The suspension gets most from what I have heard, but care and a steady hand overcomes this.

This particular version is the MKIV but has many many parts from the VII illustrated thoughout construction, so a little research and care needs to be undertaken to get the correct parts.

I have a love hate relationship with AFV kits, some are superb! Strykers for eg, yet 251's I struggled with.

I would highly recommend putting metal tracks on your AVRE, when I built my SGB I found the weight of the bridge was enough to pull over the  Churchill. I fully appreciate the extra cost, however I think this is outweighed by the kit sitting correctly and the bonus of having gears looking tracks. It’s just a suggestion though.

Great subject and I’ll watch with interest.

10 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Well up to your usual standards Vlad - 

Always good to see a Churchill (reminds me of Chris S)

Keep it coming

Rob

Cheers Rob, I hope to improve on those standards, still feel they are lacking!

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Its looking good to me Vlad. Im a fan of both the Churchill and Engineering armor. I think i might take a seat and follow along. :popcorn:

Thanks Dennis, pull up a pew and get comfy, may be here some time!

2 hours ago, Wafu said:

I would highly recommend putting metal tracks on your AVRE, when I built my SGB I found the weight of the bridge was enough to pull over the  Churchill. I fully appreciate the extra cost, however I think this is outweighed by the kit sitting correctly and the bonus of having gears looking tracks. It’s just a suggestion though.

Great subject and I’ll watch with interest.

@Wafu thanks for the suggestion, but for once I am thinking ahead........ I will be using the heavy cast links as supplied in the AVRE box and

I have left the top deck free! 

CUszTeh.jpg

This should allow me to add weight as required, then the when I am happy with the stance and balance I can think about locking it down.

All the pictures seem to show a forward cant to the vehicle when the bridge is attached, unsurprising really, physics and the weight, this is only going to be increased with the forward motion of the vehicle.

This image I found via Google should illustrate my point, best image I could find, but not the best perspective.

hD3m5w7.jpg

17 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

It'll be interesting to see this one progress. I've never done an engineering vehicle before. All of mine tend to have a big stick in front with which to beat the enemy.

John.

Glad to have you along John, once you get started with engineering kit......... there is no turning back 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silenoz said:

Second time in a short while I see this one being build. Some reinforcements of the joins will be needed as I remember (https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=15656&p=albums&album=23223&view=list)

Nice progress so far... 

That's quite a lot more extensive a build than I will be undertaking! Thanks for sharing and the kind words.

Good job so far. I'm also a big Churchill fan, so I'll be along for the ride as well.

Personally, I wouldn't go for a bridge layer. Although I would love to build one, I'd have great difficulty in displaying it safely in ANY format.

Still, that's your problem! 😄

Rearguards,

Badder, aka Vlad.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a couple of weeks and apologies for the lack of updates. I have been snowed under with work and my attention wandered to getting some progress on a shelf queen!

Big step for me is tracks, always a sticking point, but with the aid of Tea, and a couple of quiet hours I cleaned, assembled and fitted the tracks in place.

csLtVwC.jpg

KszIrn7.jpg

Today saw the fenders and the few twiddly sprinkles I had left off earlier, the front guards are so badly misshapen I am leaving them off.

My attention then turned to the bridge, first quarter cleaned and assembled........ its a biggy!

The Resicast destructions could do with improvement, these are old photocopied affairs that are unreadable in places 🤔

Je8Au5h.jpg

So that's me for now, hopefully the next update will be sooner!

• Like 7