B-17G "DREAMBABY" again

vppelt68

A few weeks and the B-17 Single Type Group Build will begin here at our favorite modelling forum :yahoo:. Small surprise I shall try to build a plane that has my initials on it;

B-17G-35-BO 42-32025 "DREAMBABY". Not just any B-17, as can be seen in the pic (courtesy of IWM) below! And a survivor of the war, which is always a nice thing to know.

FRE_006251

I may consider myself lucky, as there is one Kits-World decal set 172109 that gives me Squadron codes VP* for the fuselage, and correctly colored Group and Division markings for the tail and starboard wing. It looks like I need to source two sheets for the second fuselage P from set 172012 and the Bu.No 232025 from 172005, so far so good, but where can I get the smaller P for the tail? I know I must try my artistic abilities on the plane name and the pin-up 😰.

Best regards, V-P

• Like 1

• vppelt68 changed the title to B-17 lettering in 1:72
4 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

but where can I get the smaller P for the tail?

There are a number of decal sheets with generic alphabet lettering. But i usually buy/use Railroad dry transfers. The sheets come in a variety of styles, colors and each sheet has 6-8 sizes of letters. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Are you after rivet-counting accuracy, or a white 'P' thats smaller and looks right?

Similar dilemma during build of this YB-40 - my last Fortress.  The letter H on fuselage side is cut up bits of other letters on the same sheet.

I'll be joining you with another B-17 - but kit options this time. 

That looks like a bog standard 45 degree corner 1:4:6 proportion USAAF/USAF style “P” to me.  Probably 18” (or possibly 24”) high (easy to scale out by drawing it on your model and measuring it then doing some basic math(s)).  

I have been planning on doing this aircraft myself along with another from the same unit.  Anyways, I plan on trying to get some decals made up from a local printer for Dreambaby and some other aircraft.  I recently found this photo of how the name was painted on the nose, at least partway through:

https://b17flyingfortress.de/en/b17/42-32025-dreambaby/42-32025-1200px/

It looks like the artist hadn't finished doing the black drop shadow and the artwork is not there either.  I plane on faking it from some other artwork, and since it is only for me, what the hey!  Please also note that the aircraft does NOT have staggered side windows and that the cheek guns were an add on, hence the darker shade of OD on them.  The other aircraft is 42-97503, Princess Pat.  A photo of it can be found here:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrgEZdcFKtbZwUARmMPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTB0NjZjZzZhBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=b+17g+42-97503&fr2=piv-web&fr=yhs-att-att_001&hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att_001#id=9&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F736x%2F63%2F6f%2F1a%2F636f1ad41a2b7ab1632d201f2ce42220.jpg&action=click

Note that the upper left wing insignia does indeed have a red surround to it.  It also had the non-staggered side windows and newly installed cheek windows.  It also has the original tail turret.  On both aircraft the wing tip fuel vents are clearly visible, two vents on each side.  The Hasegawa B-17 is the only kit that I know of that has these vents.  Both the newer Revell and Airfix kits only have one vent per wing tip and the Academy kit has no vents at all.  For Dreambaby I plan on using the Academy fuselage with the Hasegawa wings, with just some minor surgery on the Hasegawa wings to get them to fit.  For Princess Pat I'll use the Revell B-17F with the chin gun fairing from the Airfix Fortress Mk III kit.  All the other parts to do an early G are already there.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1

Hi. I must apologize for adding here that terrible pic in post #1 with the colours awfully off balance. Let's not get into a deeper debate about which are the correct colours for an OD/NG B-17 - there just isn't any single correct answer for that. Anyway, I found this version of the pic that at least looks a lot better - I'm not saying it's more correct :coolio:. But better looking!

smaller DREAMBABY brown od

I shall soon start testing with my recently appointed new paint mule, an Italeri Ju 188 fuselage and empennage! I went through Revell kit painting instructions tonight, converted its Revell paint numbers to Humbrols, then cross checked some details to Airfix B-17G kit instructions, picked the exact paints I already have and chose close enough equivalents to those I have not. Quite a job, actually! I will try Hu 155 for the main colour, Hu 75 for variety in wing panels and leading edges, Hu 66 for repainted cheek, waist and rear gun positions... And Hu 31 for control surfaces?! Maybe they are all plain wrong, but I shall at least try them on the Junkers :bounce: See, I'm getting a bit excited about this build! Best regards, V-P

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Hi. I must apologize for adding here that terrible pic in post #1 with the colours awfully off balance. Let's not get into a deeper debate about which are the correct colours for an OD/NG B-17 - there just isn't any single correct answer for that. Anyway, I found this version of the pic that at least looks a lot better - I'm not saying it's more correct :coolio:. But better looking!

smaller DREAMBABY brown od

I shall soon start testing with my recently appointed new paint mule, an Italeri Ju 188 fuselage and empennage! I went through Revell kit painting instructions tonight, converted its Revell paint numbers to Humbrols, then cross checked some details to Airfix B-17G kit instructions, picked the exact paints I already have and chose close enough equivalents to those I have not. Quite a job, actually! I will try Hu 155 for the main colour, Hu 75 for variety in wing panels and leading edges, Hu 66 for repainted cheek, waist and rear gun positions... And Hu 31 for control surfaces?! Maybe they are all plain wrong, but I shall at least try them on the Junkers :bounce: See, I'm getting a bit excited about this build! Best regards, V-P

Who's kit will you be using for the build?  Remember that it has the non-staggered waist windows so that leaves out the new Airfix kit.  I don't have the Revell B-17G kit so I don't know if it has both types of tail turrets.  I think it would give you the choice of staggered or non-staggered waist windows.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1

I have the Revell 1:72 G-kit. It has both the original and Cheyenne tails, and non-staggered waist window positions, with three types of windows supplied. For the more entreprenous modellers Revell has marked the position for a more forward starboard waist position inside the fuselage - at least that´s how I have interpreted those tiny raised corners. Though the conversion would be laborous, and probably not 100% precise, that´s a nice little feature. You can take a rather good look at the Revell kits here at our favorite forum:

and

The possible staggered waist window positioning marks can be seen in the 4th sprue pic of the F-kit review. I have no planned use for them in this build. The all-clear parts Cheyenne tail can be seen in the upper right corner of the sprue, in G-kit review.

I also did this to help me in painting the kit - I´ll add only the blanco version here so anyone interested can copy and fill her/his own :smile:.

DREAMBABY with text

And as a link too: https://flic.kr/p/MKitw8

V-P

I know you said that you were using Humbrol paints.  I will be using mostly Model Master paints since they are more readily available on this side of the pond.  The undersides will be the standard WW II neutral gray something close to 36173.  The topsides will be faded OD.  The Cheyenne turret looks to be the same color as the rest of the aircraft.  Standard Insignia red for the wing tips and fixed portions of the empenage, with 36086 for all of the control surfaces.  ANA 613 for the new additions, i.e., cheek guns and fixed windows in the waist windows.  Almost thinking dark green for the outer wing panels on both sides.  It is definitely a different color than the ailerons and the cheek guns and waist windows.  On Princess Pat, code VP-X, the wing panels extend to the de-icing boot and the boots are present on the wing only.  Hard to tell for sure on the shot of Dreambaby, but it may very well have the wing de-icing boots.  This photo clearly shows the de-icing boots in position on the wing:

https://www.rcscalebuilder.com/Tutorials/weathering/default.htm

This other shot also shots the de-icing boots and how the outer wing panel extends to the boots.  It also has the original tail turret. 

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=b-17g+princess+pat&hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att_001#id=6&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F564x%2F63%2F6f%2F1a%2F636f1ad41a2b7ab1632d201f2ce42220.jpg&action=click

Otherwise it is the same as Dreambaby.

Later,

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Which is the most probable color for wheel wells, inner surfaces of flaps, engine cowlings and firewalls etc: interior green or zinc chromate yellow, for a G-35-BO? I believe none of the walkarounds of museum and flying survivors can be relied 100% as they are more or less repainted? I´m tempted to use the ZCY... Best regards, V-P