Airfix Hudson

Magua87

Like your work. I look forward to your updates.

I am also currently working on a 1/72 Airfix Hudson. I have chosen to build the model as RAAF A16-112 (Airfix Option). The list of changes is growing as the kit and my research are not aligning. As you have stated the shape of the fuselage door is incorrect, as is the tail, the fuselage was constructed using flush fitting rivets, so the sandpaper is getting a work out, the engine cowlings and the engine provided (Wright Cyclone ) is not correct. A16-112 was a Model IV with P&W Double Wasp engines.

A16-112 is still flying at Temora but repainted as A16- 211 “Tojo Buster” and has Wright Cyclone engines making it a Mark III. These were fitted in 1955 during an Adastra refit. This is the opposite Adastra engine swap process to the static Hudson A16-199 at  Henden.

I have replaced the cowlings with resin quickboost examples and I am waiting for replacement resin P&W engines to fit. I am currently trying to replace the Boulton Paul turret as the kit example is “strange”.

The model is coming on nicely and the journey will be and is enjoyable as the destination.

I will be looking forward to you posts.

Regards Alan🖖

Quickboost resin engines have arrived so another step forward. I have found a couple of sites on the web for some Hudson photos. I have been using these to make some modifications to the Airfix kit. If you search Lockheed Hudson walkaround and open up grubbyfingers and the other site is Aussie modellers. Both of these have some very useful pics.

Alan 🖖

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed that the Airfix 1/72 Hudson bomb-bay doors are incorrect. I have seen some photos that indicate the doors hinge halfway up the vertical side of the fuselage under the wings and have read that they were “cut off” to avoid fouling the ground when open. Does anyone have a photo of the doors from their model or from an actual aircraft.

Thanks Alan🖖

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 11:09 PM, Alan G said:

Like your work. I look forward to your updates.

Cheers, Alan. Be sure to add some photos of your build as it progresses. I'm interested to see how those new engines look. I'm tempted to spruce mine up with some lead wire.

I've got my Hudson back on the work bench. I've started brushing Tamiya Fine Surface Primer over the marks left by my metal file and my gap filling around the ailerons. 

UgoDdDUh.jpg

After looking at the images Trevor provided of the bomb bay doors, I bought a 120 grit sanding block and went to town on the middle and forward section of the fuselage. It probably won't have the correct profile, but it'll give me a better base to either scribe on new bomb bay doors or pencil or paint them in. 

xIyZZeth.jpg

T5V21vmh.jpg

• Like 4

The results of all my sanding!

VZW5QLJh.jpg

It's looking pretty good under the primer. I think I'll need to give it a rub down with some 1000 grit to get it a bit smoother before another blast of primer. 

There are a few areas that need attention. Unsurprisingly, the underside of the tail-planes are a bit of a mess. This will be a job for PPP in the coming days.

I was pleasantly surprised at how good the tails look as they took a lot of putty and sanding to blend in. I see I've got just one or two panel lines to reestablish there. 

6MA5wEDh.jpg

The wings are coming along. I've got some more plastic card to add, fill, and sand for the ailerons. I might be able to give them a primer blast next weekend all going well. 

I do all my lacquer and rattle can work outdoors at my partner's parents' place. I primered their lawn today. I don't think they've noticed yet. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I admire your perseverance with this kit. I hated every minute of the one I built. Sadly it was a commission build which meant that I couldn't bin the thing.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This is coming on wonderfully, looking very nice indeed great work. I built the Italeri/MPM kit and that took a lot of work too and fought me quite a bit. It is great to see the old Airfix kit getting built and upgraded.

Keep up the good work.

All the best

Chris

• Like 2

I will be including photos soon. The engines and nacelles look appropriate.

I have been working on and consuming a lot of time on the cockpit and BP turret. One step forward and two back. I spent a couple of hours on the cockpit area and had to undo what I had done. I decided to include piolots and other crew members. This decision resulted in me redesigning the cockpit.

Photos will be in my next entry.

I have also been doing some further research on the role and physical appearance of A16-112. Research indicates that the KO designation for RAAF Squadron 2 did not apply until after 1942. And A16-112 did not serve in this squadron.

Another outcome of this research is that A16-112 was fitted with dual controls in 1941. I am not going down this road.

Anyhow, photos will be in my next rant.

Alan 🖖

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We continue to persevere. Gaps are being filled,

IMXsizkh.jpg

uneven surfaces are being sanded, 

rPZtvrRh.jpg

and we're getting ready for some basic scribing. 

HTKj61fh.jpg

emIBCexh.jpg

Apart from the control surfaces, the bomb bay will be the only area I'll be scribing into the plastic and primer. 

• Like 5

Great work and perseverance on that old kit! 

I didn't know the aircraft was now inside at MOTAT, which is very good to see, and that statue is identical to the one in the old BoB hall at RAF Hendon.

I believe it was made by Peter Jackson's crowd (unsure how many they did make) for the empty Trafalgar Square plinth.

On 11/4/2018 at 4:31 AM, Greg Law said:

Here is some genuine images of a Hudson flown by 9th Squadron in the Solomon's. These were taken by the radio operator who was a family friend of mine. I'm not sure if the lower right is a Hudson  it looks different.

Hudson

Looks like a AVRO Anson from which the photos were made. Look at the lower-right photo. That looks like a Anson to me.

Hans

The Nertherlands

I have a couple pics in my recent MOTAt photos  in AViation Photography section.

One thing to take note of are  the two rectangles at leading edge of wing tips are  Theses are slots or louvres of some kind and should have a sort of opening.

The Hudson was fitted with wing slots or slats. Google  wing slats and you will receive a more precise explanation. But, they altered wing air flow and changed handling characteristics and stall speed and angle. The Hudson had three on the outer third of and, the leading edge, of each wing. When I sort out my ability to attach photos you will see I have modified the wings on my 1/72 Airfix Hudson to include the slots.

Alan 🖖

You may well be right on the Anson. He must have been a passenger at the time the photo was taken. The diary was less complete after he left the desert.

Edited by Greg Law

Super glue on the wings and re-scribing of control surfaces has begun. Will try for primer tomorrow night to check my progress. 

I thought I was finished with the cowlings, when I noticed this. 

LfT4NYrh.jpg

A bit of work to do to get the right one flat. I have been working on this kit off and on for a few years now, but I don't at all remember squaring off the cowling to the left! I wonder if that was dad's handy work long before he gave the kit to me? 

• Like 3

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0EJtdOXm8NYgbC

The photos are self explanatory hopefully. I had modified the original Airfix engines and nacelles until I realised that the wrong engine for A16-112 was depicted. I obtained resin replacements (see a previous post). I modified the originals further to use the wing end of the nacelles (the grey circles in a couple of photos), in the resin nacelles as the new mounting for the quickboost resin twin wasp engines and nacelles.

As you can see I have modified the cockpit and pilots. Yes you will not be able to see most of this but, given the Hudson has a BP turret I thought the rest of the crew had to be included. I have obtained a BP turret to replace the “strange” one supplied. This required a bit of redesign but the result will be worth it. Photo will be in a future post.

Hope the photo link works 

Alan 🖖