Tamiya 48th scale F-14A

Gekko_1

More Vegemite in action...................

20181002_225634.jpg

20181002_225649.jpg

20181002_225731.jpg

20181005_202234.jpg

HUD painting.
20181003_170249.jpg

Here's a small detail that would have been missed if it weren't for those awesome photo finds! (the 36375 Light Ghost Gray on the beginning of the intake trunking.
20181005_214439.jpg

Next, we begin some of the more interesting stuff.................weathering!

Richard.

• Like 3

Love your attention to detail, same goes for your research about the colours to get it right.

Vegemite, I had to google that to learn it's more like Marmite which I once ate in Australia thinking it was the same as a Dutch spread we have.....but after one bit I knew it was completely different!!! 😨

Will follow with interest!

Evert

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Looking good Richard. 

Along the theme of extra patches of light ghost grey - the front portions of the glove pylons on some of these had 36375 there too. 

Thanks Tony! Hadn't spotted that one! Will get that done today.

7 hours ago, Flyingdutchman said:

Love your attention to detail, same goes for your research about the colours to get it right.

Vegemite, I had to google that to learn it's more like Marmite which I once ate in Australia thinking it was the same as a Dutch spread we have.....but after one bit I knew it was completely different!!! 😨

Will follow with interest!

Evert

Thanks, Evert. Yeah, Vegemite would definitely be one of those things that is an acquired taste. 🤣

OK...............thanks to Tony's eagle eye I was able to get the FS 36495 onto the glove pylons with the help of Vegemite, of course! 😎

20181007_145501.jpg

20181007_145517.jpg

20181007_152410.jpg

Fin tips done...........

20181007_145449.jpg

20181007_151205.jpg

20181007_151527.jpg

Panel line washes have begun too. I do mine slightly different to most people. I use drying retarder and Vallejo Model Wash in a combination of two to one. Once the panel line has been brushed with the mix any excess is wiped away with a brush moistened with water. No smelly chemicals and you have a bit of time to manipulate the mix before it dries. I also use this technique to simulate the tattered sea salt look of USN/Marine subjects too. I'll demonstrate this later in the build.

20181007_165234.jpg

20181007_165314.jpg

20181007_165200.jpg

20181007_165035.jpg

20181007_145547.jpg

To do the red cap area of the drop tank I used Vallejo red ink and using capillary action filled the recess. Works perfectly!

20181007_145531.jpg

Removing the Vegemite from the fan nose revealed the white perfectly protected! YAY for Vegemite! 🎉

20181007_153551.jpg

20181007_154713.jpg

I've got six days to get this Tomcat finished for the local model comp here in South Australia, over the weekend of the 13th and 14th October!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😲 :frantic:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, whiskey said:

Man those are clean lines from the vegemite. You said it comes off with water or is that peeled off?

The Vegemite just dissolves in warm water using a soft brush. Very simple and works perfectly.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/16/2018 at 1:19 AM, brodiebear said:

gonna have to try that Vegemite masking, assume the same for marmite ? (just branding)

Yes, as far as I know, both are basically the same thing.

Well, I didn't get the Tomcat finished for the comp, too much left to do. But, the build goes on!

Here's some progress of the subassemblies. I discovered the hard way that the decals, now quite old, would come apart once soaked in water. Luckily this only happened to the port side skull and bones decal. I was able to re-assemble it on the fin. After that it was time to apply some Micro Liquid Decal Film to the rest of the decals. Luckily this did the trick. Also did some oil paint rendering on the Pheonix pallet.

20181104_0002231.jpg

20181104_0001331.jpg

20181104_0001501.jpg

Wings ready for further weathering. I have to figure out how to do the wing sweep oil and grime marks somehow. Any ideas?

20181104_0005061.jpg

Here's the two drop tanks, one in Light Gull Grey, the other FS.36495. And the remaining Pheonix pallets. All of these still need some more oil paint rendering/weathering.

20181104_0004091.jpg

Here's the underside of the main body. Intake trunking still not glued in place.

20181104_0006291.jpg

A close-up of some of the oil paint rendering/weathering.

20181104_0006441.jpg

Cheers

Richard.

• Like 5

Time to paint the coroguard paint on the leading edge...................

20181108_083450.jpg

20181108_084337.jpg

Based on the only really good colour image I have been able to find of this Tomcat I decided to lighten FS. 36375 by 50% white to match the contrast seen in the photo.

So I sprayed the colour, no problem, then began to take off the masking. Port fin went fine, then......................................

20181108_090342.jpg

Oh! 🤣 :swear:

Luckily I have a lot of patience. I kept my cool and just accepted my fate.

20181108_090721.jpg

To be fair the decals are roughly 35 years old. I think what happened is that the decal hadn't adhered to the surface properly and pulling up the Tamiya tape was enough force to bring up the whole thing.

Anyway, luckily I was able to find a replacement sheet on eBay. So once that arrives I can carefully sand down the surface, repaint, re-gloss, and try again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I've had this too once in my final stages of the build. It was the last time I put any tape over decals.... But I think you'll be able to repair this. You can always reprint and spray instead of using the decal.

Evert

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2018 at 2:22 PM, Gekko_1 said:

So I sprayed the colour, no problem, then began to take off the masking. Port fin went fine, then......................................

20181108_090342.jpg

Oh! 🤣 :swear:

Luckily I have a lot of patience. I kept my cool and just accepted my fate.

20181108_090721.jpg

To be fair the decals are roughly 35 years old. I think what happened is that the decal hadn't adhered to the surface properly and pulling up the Tamiya tape was enough force to bring up the whole thing.

Anyway, luckily I was able to find a replacement sheet on eBay. So once that arrives I can carefully sand down the surface, repaint, re-gloss, and try again.

G'day, Gekko!

Awesome work. You should try covering your decals with some stretched piece of Parafilm M and then mask over with tape on the rest of the surface. Once the Parafilm M is carefully burnished over the decal with a toothpick, you can also run your masking tape over it without any danger of ripping it off afterwards.

HTH

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

4 hours ago, woody37 said:

I never put tape over decals for this reason. Would the vegimite applied over the decal help to prevent This?

lovely work so far :)

Yes actually, Vegemite would have worked perfectly for this sort of thing. I honestly never thought the decal would pull up as it did. I'm guessing it was mainly because the decal was so old the bonding agent must have weakened over time?

On 11/3/2018 at 1:29 PM, Gekko_1 said:

Wings ready for further weathering. I have to figure out how to do the wing sweep oil and grime marks somehow. Any ideas?

20181104_0005061.jpg

In regards to your question about the wing sweep oil and marks, I saw another builder who installed the wings, then took a pencil and drew light marks as he moved the wings fully forward and aft to draw on the paint. Then he took oils and highlighted the areas, when it was finished it looked great and very authentic. I do not remember what site this was on, possibly on a Facebook group for building the Tamiya F-14.

• Thanks 1

On 21/12/2018 at 18:28, Gekko_1 said:

Yes actually, Vegemite would have worked perfectly for this sort of thing. I honestly never thought the decal would pull up as it did. I'm guessing it was mainly because the decal was so old the bonding agent must have weakened over time?

For me anything but eating vegemite/marmite is better, :whistle:   bad luck with the decal, it can happen no matter how old they are.  Impressed with the idea of painting most the components and putting them together at the end, I suppose it only works this well when the fit is as good as this kit, will give it a go on my "pukin dog" Tomcat, and yup I've got the quickboost gun cover.

Bob

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jelliott523 said:

In regards to your question about the wing sweep oil and marks, I saw another builder who installed the wings, then took a pencil and drew light marks as he moved the wings fully forward and aft to draw on the paint. Then he took oils and highlighted the areas, when it was finished it looked great and very authentic. I do not remember what site this was on, possibly on a Facebook group for building the Tamiya F-14.

Thanks for that. I may give it a go, or I may just have the wings swept and not worry about it? Not sure yet.

18 minutes ago, Gekko_1 said:

Thanks for that. I may give it a go, or I may just have the wings swept and not worry about it? Not sure yet.

No worries! I'm looking forward to starting my kit after the New Year. Trying to get several others finished up that were started this past year.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jelliott523 said:

No worries! I'm looking forward to starting my kit after the New Year. Trying to get several others finished up that were started this past year.

I am afraid there are a lot of us in that category. 😀

Bob.

• Like 1