Hasegawa Typhoon FGR4 6 Sqn RAF Leuchars (Briefly!)

Here are some photos of my 1/72 scale Hasegawa Typhoon FGR4 in the Centenary markings of 6 Sqn RAF. This aircraft was painted in the paint shop at RAF Leuchars but shortly after the Squadron relocated to RAF Lossiemouth.

I found this to be a tiresome kit to build as the fit was not what I expected of a Hasegawa kit and some of the joints were in tricky places to eliminate without destroying surface detail. All lessons learned for when I come to build a 1 Sqn Typhoon.

IMG_4570-L.jpg

IMG_4572-L.jpg

IMG_4574-L.jpg

IMG_4579-L.jpg

IMG_4582-L.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 44

On 9/23/2018 at 5:45 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Very nice, surprised there was fit problems, had no such with the two I’ve built to date, though if you think that’s bad your in for shock if you try either Revell tools

The intake and the top wing to fuselage joints were the worst culprits. I could not get rid of the joint completely on the top of the wing to fuselage where it crossed a raised area. The Airbrake doesn't fit well at all and the spine of the main fuselage was wider than the fin. Here are some of the worst bits!

IMG_3877-M.jpg

IMG_3875-M.jpg

IMG_3889-M.jpg

IMG_3885-M.jpg

The joint under the wing near the wingtip wasn’t too good either. 

IMG_3890-M.jpg

I’ve got to build at least one more for my Leuchars collection so we’ll see if I can do better with that one. 

Duncan B

21 hours ago, IanC said:

Very neat.

I know nothing about modern aircraft kits so excuse my ignorance, but is there a definitive 1/72 Typhoon II or are we still waiting?

I think both Hasegava and Revell got it right from the start, but Hase's huge price difference from RoG's offering might put some off.

Also, that is one unique-looking Typhoon you got there. I feel like I didn't do justice to my Typhoon, having built it when my modelling skills were very amateur-ish (not like I'm a pro now, more like not-really-a-noob-at-all kind of level).

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2018 at 6:52 PM, IanC said:

Very neat.

I know nothing about modern aircraft kits so excuse my ignorance, but is there a definitive 1/72 Typhoon II or are we still waiting?

16 hours ago, Tyas said:

I think both Hasegava and Revell got it right from the start, but Hase's huge price difference from RoG's offering might put some off.

Also, that is one unique-looking Typhoon you got there. I feel like I didn't do justice to my Typhoon, having built it when my modelling skills were very amateur-ish (not like I'm a pro now, more like not-really-a-noob-at-all kind of level).

I think both the Hasegawa and the Revell kits have their faults to the Typhoon buffs but I don't know enough about them to know. Revell have produced an updated tooling  to address some of the bigger issues in their original kit.

I used the pinned thread on the Typhoon in the Modern aircraft section on Britmodeller as my reference for this build along with photos of the actual aircraft that I could find online.

Duncan B

• Like 1

To whoever asked the question about the definitive kit, it is still the Hasegawa, the new Revell is barely an improvement on the last one, though they are both far ahead all the other kits after that. The Hasegawa has the inboard pylons that neither Revell has as well as in my experience fitting so much better than either Revell kit. 

• Like 2

On 9/28/2018 at 7:08 PM, Dennis_C said:

Original Revell's kit was much worse in terms of parts fit than this Hase. I would say these troubles are pretty modest. 

Anyway a great model of an interesting colour scheme!

Yes the original Revell Typhoon has a reputation as a horror but it came as a surprise to me that the Hasegawa one wasn't quite as 'shake and bake' as I was hoping for. At the time of building it I just wanted a quick build to pass a few days but it turned into a slog that nearly didn't get finished. I'll be better prepared for my next one.

Duncan B