Spitfire VIII, 615 Squadron RAF *FINISHED*

Beard

While I wait for the Dark Earth to dry on my Spitfire VC, I think it's time to start another.

Here's the box:

20180923_144553

And what's inside:

20180923_144601

20180923_144614

I'm planning on making MD324/ KW-R as it's the only one in the Group Build's timeframe, although I can't find any photographic evidence of it - can any of you help?

Thanks for looking and more soon.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 6

welcome aboard with another Spitfire!!!

The Mk VIII should be fine. They used Mk.VIII's in Burma until February 1945 (they did a brief stint in India before that) before they were disbanded, then reformed after the war with P-47's.

Nice to see you're found something different and another Spitfire to build.

Good luck with this one, seeing how you're doing with the other one, this one will be no problems. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

They used Mk.VIII's in Burma until February 1945 (they did a brief stint in India before that) before they were disbanded, then reformed after the war with P-47's.

Splendid, and speaking of P-47s, I dug.one out of the stash and bought another on eB*y last night.

• Haha 1

The cockpit parts have been painted with Colourcoats Interior Grey-green, with Humbrol 33 for.the details, followed by a dry-brush with a light grey, my patent goauch/ Future/ water wash and a coat of W&N matt varnish.

20180925_200545

Then glued together:

20180925_200505

Yes, I am using etched belts - which were a gift from CedB - I now have to thread a piece of thin steel through a slot in the head armour. Wish me luck.

While that's drying, I'll start to paint my Spitfire VC & Kittyhawk IV and make a start on a Thunderbolt II.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 7

On 9/26/2018 at 7:49 AM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Simon

Very good start

Cheers

Patrice

Hello Patrice. The Eduard Spitfires are daunting when you first look in the box and read the instruction sheet but can be made at my usual breakneck speed without mishap*.

* see below.

On 9/26/2018 at 1:42 PM, trickyrich said:

gee that was quick and the cockpit looks great!

Thanks Rich, the Eduard cockpit is almost a kit in its own right.

On 9/26/2018 at 3:15 PM, modelling minion said:

Very nice work on that cockpit, looks great.

Thanks, I really like how Eduard have done the cockpit, other parts of it I'm not so keen on.

Underside done, after buying some Humbrol Medium Sea Grey as I'd run out of Colourcoats (the later is a better match, to my eyes anyway, but is only available by mail order and I was near a model shop). All was going well with the painting of the uppersides until I realised that:

1) I'd forgotten the fuel tank cap

2) I'd forgotten the bulge for the Coffman starter on lower port-side engine cowling

3) hadn't sorted out the cowling seam

None of these are a real problem to fix but I then realised that I'd painted the upper surfaces Ocean Grey rather than Dark Earth... D'oh!

Anyway, a bit of vernacular later and we have this:

2018-10-03_02-45-52

Thanks for looking.

• Like 6

Good evening Simon

I know the Eduard Spitfire I have already built one and have several boxes in my stash (MkVIII , IX and XVI ) but I don't have a lot of time for my modelling ...

Cheers

Patrice

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

Did you see the Australian War Memorial's page on 615 Squadron?

No, there's some interesting stuff there.

23 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening Simon

I know the Eduard Spitfire I have already built one and have several boxes in my stash (MkVIII , IX and XVI ) but I don't have a lot of time for my modelling ...

Cheers

Patrice

Evening Patrice. 

Which one have you built? I've only made a couple of VIIIs.

• Like 1

It's Sunday so it's modelling day. I've given the Spitfire a second coat of Colourcoats Dark Green:

2018-10-07_12-38-41

I really need to sort the cowling seams out.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

This one has been languishing in the 'bits and bobs need finishing but I can't be bothered' corner but now is the time to get it done.

2018-10-30_09-31-36

Not far now, maybe it's time to start another?

Thanks for looking.

• Like 7

Lovely build, Beard, so definitely worth the final finishing. You've really 'sold' this kit and marque of Spit to me - never done one so given the history of how the Mk. VIII was intended, I really must do one. Good introduction to Eduard for me as well. All the best. Mike

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

another!!  :yikes:

Definitely.

1 hour ago, Ventora3300 said:

Lovely build, Beard, so definitely worth the final finishing. You've really 'sold' this kit and marque of Spit to me - never done one so given the history of how the Mk. VIII was intended, I really must do one. Good introduction to Eduard for me as well. All the best. Mike

Thanks Mike. The Eduard Spitfire is the best 1/72 VIII by a long way (I haven't made any of the Eduard IXs or XVIs I have in the stash yet but I don't doubt they're the best XI/XVI).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

That's really cool Simon.

Thanks Cookie.

4 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Poster paint wash? I'm interested to see this.

It's a very simple technique, I use the paints that come in pallettes meant for children. An all-over black wash, allowed to dry then remove the excesse with a damp tissue, to bring out the panel lines a little then, white and black to do exhausts stains.

The beauty of it is, if you're not happy with the result, you can simply wash it off and start again.

I'll post some photographs later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's had the poster paint weathering. Here's couple of photographs, taken in the dispersal area on my back step:

20181105_150245

20181105_150252

The exhaust staining hasn't been entirely successful, I might wash it off and start again.

• Like 3

On 01/11/2018 at 00:12, Ventora3300 said:

Yes the Mk VIII is a nice Spitfire with some interesting schemes like this one.

• Thanks 1