+++ North American Aviation - we got 31!!!!

trickyrich

Ok I know I'll end up regretting this but we seem to be having some famous aircraft manufactures GB's and really this one needs to be at the top of the list.

She may have closed up in 1967 buts she produced some iconic aircraft of their era's, Mustang, Mitchell, Sabre, Super Sabre, and Vigilante one of my personal favourites.

Founded in 1928 they've built everything form Bi-Planes the X-15, bombers to early cruise missiles.

They also did a collaboration with Rockwell to produce the great OV-10 Bronco, so this is eligible as well. If there are any other notable collaborations with other manufactures let me know as would be considered eligible as well (aircraft built under license are also ok, ie Canadair Sabre).

So here's a chance to build a few on these iconic or interesting craft for North American....XF-107 Rapier, XB-51 Valkyrie

1, trickyrich - HOST

2, Corsairfoxfouruncle

3, TEMPESTMK5

4, theplasticsurgeon

5, zebra

6, Arniec

7, dnl42

8, Black Knight

9, spaddad

10, MarkSH

11, CliffB

12, Jb65rams

13, Caerbannog

14, SleeperService

15, Angus Tura

16, Julian

17, Paul J

18, helios16v

19, Jabba

20, vppelt68

21, rafalbert

22, RJ-WobblyHands

23, Valkyrie

24, Rabbit Leader

25, Beazer

26, German Armour

27, Jinxman

28, stevehnz

29, srkirad 

30, Hockeyboy76

31, almac

• Like 1

gee there seems to be interest in this, welcome aboard I better start a list.

Noted I added the OV-10 Bronco, it was a collaboration with Rockwell, i forgot to mention that as being eligible as well.

• Like 1

yeap it's fine.

I'll use Wiki's list for eligibility, makes it nice and simple, F-107 Ultra Sabre is ok. I'll also the XF-108 Rapier in, though it never flew it was in advance stages when the project was cancelled, but it will need to be in it's mockup/demo scheme. 

North American Aviation

• Thanks 1

How about the Apollo Command/Service Module. Or even a Saturn V - NAA made the second stage, all the engines (made by Rocketdyne, a subsidiary of North American), and the CSM (for the Apollo missions at least) - maybe enough NAA content for it to count?

• Like 1

yeah no worries........

the command module, second stage and the engines will look really cool!!! :D

ok serious me... :rofl2:    :D

I don't have a problem with that at all, there's enough involvement by NA in the project that if they weren't there may it not have even happened, or had been completely different. So therefore even the Saturn V would be cool.

There are probably a few other "projects" like this as well, so anyone please let me know and we can see if they fit the build.

mmm it might but were heading off into territory I didn't want to go in!! It's more about the "Aviation" part of North American and not so much there other endeavours. The majority of people remember them for their famous aircraft and not their space  collaboration-ships.

Lets try and keep it nice and simple and avoid the later Rockwell stuff!!! In the end like most GB's the fringe stuff never gets built even though a huge fuss was made about it needing to be included!

This list from Wiki will be the Master list!

North American Aviation

As you can see by 1973 NAA ceased to exist in it's original form, now becoming a subsidurary or Rockwell International, so the Shuttle in this case is ineligible.

• Like 2

Depending on the timing, I may be able to join with a PTO P-51D with some rather unusual markings.

FWIW, the NAA retirees organization held their final meeting in 2017. As you might imagine, they're getting on in age...

• Like 2

welcome along guys, guess I'd be start a list.

13 hours ago, Arniec said:

I am interested as well. I have got a few in my stash, but I am thinking of doing a 1/48 Trumpeter Vigilante with some extra's.

Cheers,

I do love the Vigilante but the Trumpeter one is not without it's problems, hopefully you have the scaffolding kit for the fuselage? For me it's a 50/50 guess at which would be the easier build the resin Collect-Aire monster or the Trumpeter beast.......knowing me I'd go the resin one again..... Better the devil you know!

• Haha 1

I don't have the scaffold, but I know a friend who has, so maybee I can copy it somehow. 

But, I would go with the Trumpeter all the way. I like resin, but not as a whole kit. 

If it goes thrue this GB I would take the challenge to build the Vigilante and see what I can do with it. 

Cheers,

2 hours ago, Arniec said:

I don't have the scaffold, but I know a friend who has, so maybee I can copy it somehow. 

But, I would go with the Trumpeter all the way. I like resin, but not as a whole kit. 

If it goes thrue this GB I would take the challenge to build the Vigilante and see what I can do with it. 

Cheers,

i would like to build another but they are huge!!! Though I might be tempted if I could fine the convention kit for the A3J. 

1 hour ago, spaddad said:

Count me in.

welcome along

I'll put my name to this if that's ok? I had originally suggested I might do an X-15 for the "year I was born" GB (1963) but  think I'll stick with the BAC 1-11 and the Short Skyvan for that GB and offer up the MPM 1/72 X-15 for this GB.

• Like 1