Fokker DVII (OAW built), Uffz. Niemszyk, Jasta 50, 1918

It had to be difficult, didn't it?  It couldn't have just freakin' worked out?  Nooooo....disaster.

43191200990_df3052937b_z_d.jpg

Thank the gods it wasn't on the spade and pickaxe.  The other side is fine...no worries.  I guess that's a plus too.  So I go into repair mode.

But there it is, stuck to the tape, laughing at me, mocking me...dammit!

30066842227_75f5a600e6_z_d.jpg

Ok...fix what I can...the lozenge isn't too much of a problem.  These aircraft were pretty patched up anyway.

30066842107_845b2e72c6_z_d.jpg

My options are:

1. paint the black and white stripes by hand.  I could do it, but it would be difficult and for sure not to win any prizes.

2. Hmm...if dish soap works to remove the glue from bumperstickers on a car window, maybe an hour or so is a warm soap solution will release the decal?

I'll try it before I break out the hair brushes.

44954553522_7f6124b3bb_z_d.jpg

Dammit!  Why can't the Roden kits ever be easy?  :angry:

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Sad 2

Good save John! It does look like you have been having a fun time! I dislike decals at the best of times but you have a lot to deal with on this one!!

Kind regards,

Stix

Sorry for the travail, but it looks like you've regained the upper hand.

[I often find myself muttering "Why do you styrene bits fight me? I'm trying to make you magnificent!...."]

[It doesn't seem to help....]

Edited by thorfinn

It has been a while since I built one of these and I had forgotten why I scratch built the struts--they are all wrong.  The outer wing struts push the leading edge of the top wing too far forward and the rear railing edge up giving the impression of a street thug with his hat pulled down over his brow.  So to Evergreen I go, measuring, eye-balling, using the fine resources of the Datafile...

45031507891_3bc93edcc1_z_d.jpg

Slowly, slowly...one must creep up on this kit lest it become startled and bound of into the woods...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have found that the scratch-built struts look better anyway...they'll be painted Fokker Green tonight.  What's left?  Undercarriage, tailskid, prop and what little rigging these things had.  That will be sprue, by the way.

30138487937_597ebcb388_z_d.jpg

45027039612_fd2cfc9f57_z_d.jpg

Down to the wire...already thinking of the next build.  Something British, something from Eduard. 😉

--John

• Like 3

On 10/1/2018 at 9:52 AM, John D.C. Masters said:

It has been a while since I built one of these and I had forgotten why I scratch built the struts--they are all wrong.  The outer wing struts push the leading edge of the top wing too far forward and the rear railing edge up giving the impression of a street thug with his hat pulled down over his brow.

D***** useful to know, since I've got a 'Weekend Edition' waiting in the pile!

Really inspiring work, John. She's a beauty!

"I've got a 'Weekend Edition' waiting in the pile!

If you are referring to an Eduard Weekend Edition...you will have no problem with that kit, my friend.  The issue has always been with Roden, not Eduard.

You'll love the Eduard Fokker.  First rate kit from start to finish!

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

"I've got a 'Weekend Edition' waiting in the pile!

If you are referring to an Eduard Weekend Edition...you will have no problem with that kit, my friend.  The issue has always been with Roden, not Eduard. 

"I'll take 'the Bleeding Obvious' for $200 please, Alex...." :blink:

[A simple case of the 'picture' on my brain's TV set not matching up with the accompanying narrative voicover. I'd worry if it was a sign of aging...but I've been 'blessed' with that sort of wandering attention my entire life. :penguin:]

Thanks for the clarification, nevertheless!

Looking very Fokker-ish.  One thing that looks odd...the wide angle lens is distorting the image.  Things look bent, but they really aren't.

30152478307_569f1facc1_z_d.jpg

45041244632_e26d73e4c1_z_d.jpg

What's left?  Decals on the tail...propeller...rigging...I'll get to these things today.

--John

• Like 4

So here is the instruction image for the decal on the stabilizer....

31225519668_e57a8b96af_z_d.jpg

And here are the two decals I have been given.  The text is there because I sent this to Printscale.  It is obvious.

44378777104_4688528440_z_d.jpg

Thank the gods I had that black stripe decal sheet.  One of them was the same width (5mm), so I just cut a new one.

I have decaled the plane and will now take care of the little rigging pieces.  The finished work forthcoming!

• Like 1

After much hair pulling, ham-fisted-ness, travails, rationalizing and several hours of psychotherapy, this thing is finished.  Here it is alongside some of its DVII sisters...

43296315210_6b71875c5e_b_d.jpg

The rest are in the gallery...Thanks!

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Thanks for the compliment.  Pray tell, what is this mysterious KUTA?   

I believe it's 'Kick Up the A[nterior]'---a pending GB for 'Shelf of Doom' kits.

Excellent result on the D.VII, John! Really impressive work, and a testament to patience and persistence. Well done, that man!

Edited by thorfinn