Fokker DVII (OAW built), Uffz. Niemszyk, Jasta 50, 1918

OK...while I wait this evening, and so as not to rush the Swedish Spitfire in the other GB, I'll start in on a 1/72nd scale Roden Fokker DVII with some added bits.  I will busing the basic kit from Roden, but this OAW built craft did not have the same louvres as the kit so I will be attempting to use a MAC fuselage (or maybe not, we'll see).  I will also be using the resin corrections for the Roden kit (lower wings and landing gear airfoil).  Decals will be Aviatik for the lozenge and PrintScale for the markings.  We shall see, gents, we shall see...

44141449204_e18661a374_z_d.jpg

43051023270_3022c3d059_z_d.jpg

43051022350_715d0ba78e_z_d.jpg

Thinking aloud--the trick will be getting the nice little Roden motor into the MAC's nose.  I might forgo the MAC pieces and just scrape off the louvers on the Roden body.  Surgery required!

--John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A quick decision and change of tack...I will use a Roden DVII fuselage from another kit, an early OAW build (with the correct radiator, btw).  The only surgery I will need to do is to take off a bit of the cowling where the exhaust comes out of the motor.  

Hat's off to Ray Rimell and the folks at Albatros Prod. for their fine 'Fokker' Trilogy.  Still waiting for Vol. IV...

43952187545_a379d2c33f_z_d.jpg

Less surgery = fewer blue words

43952182025_aef46d9d51_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 3

So here are some kit corrections and some busy work from last night...with subtitles!  Just so you know, I have built many of these Roden Fokkers (there is a another name I could use--but this is a family site) so I am aware of the many pitfalls and annoyances.  No surprises here.

43967165425_4844fb290b_z_d.jpg

44878756361_42aa1cf088_z_d.jpg

I can confirm this as being correct.  Having grown up watching the DVII at Olde Rhinebeck Aerodrome fly around.  I was always amazed at the modern solidity and shape of the wings.

31005496808_c85afa7668_z_d.jpg

29941962397_b8450a0a04_z_d.jpg

And the struts...lovely and thin, moulded well and made of a substance that should never be used.  I used a very fine saw to get them off of the sprue.  I was lucky...no breaks!

44878754241_62574dfb55_z_d.jpg

That where I stand at the moment.  I'll leave it there until I return on Wednesday.  I'll build the motor, get the cockpit done and dusted, assemble the fuselage.

Decals are pretty easy with the Aviatik set.  One bit of surgery I will have to tackle will be the fit of the stabilizer to the fuselage.  Wonky.

--John

• Like 2

The maritime weather services are calling for consistent 8/9 Beaufort all day Wednesday (when I would have returned from Athens) so I have cancelled my trip.  I cannot take the risk if being stuck with no boats on the water!  This means more modelling! 

Started in on the cockpit.  Pretty simple, yet nicely detailed as these Roden kits can be.  Belts and harness are masking tape.

31020980108_5270c37e3d_z_d.jpg

A very pretty little BMW motor. I neglected to show the enormous amount of flash on these parts...all 6 of them.  Two pieces snapped as I was cleaning them and the engine block halves required some slight grinding to get them to fit squarely and in line.  This will be all but obscured once the fuselage is closed up.

43981976655_8c8cd912ba_z_d.jpg

The fuselage halves have been given some kit lozenge since the whole of the plane will be the same.  The kit decal performed alright in small pieces, but it is brittle and easily torn.  I will use Eagle Strike 5-colour lozenge for the outer fuselage.  I will also try to dull down the brightness of this section with a little grey paint wash.  I have covered them in satin varnish so I can hand paint the expose inner spars a darkish Fokker Green.

Sorry about the dust.  I performed some slight surgery so the Loon resin lower wing will fit better.

43981976035_28655a2c7e_z_d.jpg

That's it for tonight!

--John

• Like 3

I really wish Eduard would issue a 1/72nd scale version of their excellent DVII...I really do.  Man...these Roden Fokkers really stink in so many ways.  There are so many 'plusses'...excellent detail, interesting markings, etc...but nothing ever fits right.  I was able to get the motor and cockpit assembly in one half of the fuselage.  A test fit reminded me that the motor, in order to fit in the whole of the thing, will be slightly askew.  From the front it is not so bad, but the top view isn't so great, but I digress and get ahead of myself...here are some nice pictures...

31048728568_8c2b49949f_z_d.jpg

Pretty little Spandaus...and the forward section of the cockpit.

44201916084_ed0608c1a8_z_d.jpg

I closed up the fuselage and the radiator is too wide and juts out in the front.  Sand, file and scrape...

31048727698_08baa3fa99_z_d.jpg

44009320435_f7d3e8c661_z_d.jpg

44201915024_a231f7993d_z_d.jpg

More to come later.  I have already decided that my next DVII will be a MAC, despite the terrible errors in design that this brand carries with it.  At least the front half won't look like...well, something else...

I realized last night that there will be very little painting on this.  It is almost entirely covered in lozenge.  The only painted parts are the tail assembly (all white) and the cowling panels, landing gear wing and wheel covers (green and mauve).  I did a little test using the Mister Kit WW1 colours.

44922102851_19bda1674e_z_d.jpg

I am tempted to go with the dark green in this case.  The mauve is right on.  Although the Fokker Green might be more striking and these paints, in the field, varied greatly due to wear and tear and availability, especially in 1918.  We'll see...

--John

• Like 1

I have closed up the fuselage, attached the augmented radiator and cemented in the top area in front of the cockpit where the guns will fit.  I am sure there is a name for this.  I have masked off the cowing and areas that will be green and used the Mister Kit Albatros Green for the spots that need it--cowling, wheel covers and axle wing.  

44016194815_4d309ef514_z_d.jpg

I really have to let this dry overnight.  The Mister Kit acrylics can be somewhat rubbery until they are fully cured and I don't want anything peeling off.  Why?  Well...I pondered how to make the mauve 'splotches' (actually lozenge rhomboids).  Masking.  It's all about masking.  Another thing about Mister Kit acrylics is that they aren't the best with a hairy brush, so hand painting is out of the question.  I'll be using the 'airy brush' instead.  if so, I'll need to do this:

44208299584_acdee113e1_z_d.jpg

They are a little large, so I'll cut on the inside of the shape.  This is fun!  But not until tomorrow...

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 3

Another extraordinary 'master class' in how to dress up and dress out one of these beloved (but archly-challenging) Roden kits!

Kudos, alone, for having managed to separate the struts in one piece---something I have never quite managed to do.

Following along with great respect...and giddy interest! Excellent work thus far. :clap:

Cheers

39 minutes ago, thorfinn said:

Another extraordinary 'master class'

Thank you Thor.  I'm flattered you would say that.  I think that once it is all dressed up, as you say, the flaws will be minimal.

I was lucky with the struts, very lucky.  I have broken many in my time.  I usually scratch build the struts anyway, so this time might be a first for me.

A very fun little bit of OCD...

The masks...

44037948935_dc121120c3_z_d.jpg

The Paint...

43137386930_96c8918e84_z_d.jpg

Pretty paint painted upon...

43137387780_db68158fa3_z_d.jpg

And the result!

43137385140_f617911985_z_d.jpg

I must admit, I am quite pleased with the result.  Of course this opens up a whole new area for me and while I was going through this process, I thought, "Hmmm...SAAB Wiggen..."  Splinter camo anyone?  Later, later...

--John

• Like 2

This has been a fun evening...Lozenge on the wings!  I really do love the Aviatik products...

31081215928_f83699a6b5_z_d.jpg

I do one side at a time, let it dry thoroughly, then do the other side...

44041743625_4052fcf292_z_d.jpg

I made a template of the fuselage so I could cut the Eagle Strike lozenge the right size and shape.

44954058811_eebf714b06_z_d.jpg

Looks pretty good, right?

44041741665_00c70b9f75_z_d.jpg

Wrong!  I made a terrible historical error.  Oops...I was believed that this aircraft used the OAW 5-colour lozenge pattern when in fact, it used the OAW 4-colour lozenge pattern.  I almost let it slide...I swore a bit, fed the cats, walked outside for 5 minutes.  Came back in, pulled off all the decals and tomorrow I shall start again with the correct pattern.  Well, at least the template is correct.

Good night! 

--John

• Like 2

Oops. But at least it means you got a practice round; meaning that the end results will be better than it would have been if you had done it right from the beginning!   😛

—-

Following with interest by the way, I just bought the same kit at a flee market.

1 hour ago, Torbjorn said:

a practice round

That was my thinking.  Lemonade from lemons!

I'll get back to it this evening.  Thank you for following.

I have built many of these Roden Fokkers, so if you have any questions Tor, I have the answers.

Back again with the correct decals.  I won't show the process again because it is exactly the same as above.  I have also added the crosses and the personal logo.  Note the difference in the Aviatik 'weathered' 4-colour lozenge (wings) coated to the 'fresh' 4-colour lozenge (fuselage) from Pegasus.  I'll be giving the fuselage some dust so it will be toned down some, but I am not concerned.  During this conflict, aircraft were rarely consistent with patterns.  Tones and colours changed frequently according to availability and by 1918, well...you see my logic here.

31108816628_f52cc90346_z_d.jpg\

I will let these dry for the day, then apply a nice coat of satin varnish to protect everything.  

--John

• Like 5

You’ve certainly made short work of this John, even allowing for your change of mind on the lozenge decals.  I’m interested to watch how you tackle the cabana struts.

AW

Thank you and you're right but there is still a lot of work to do.  The cabane struts are actually quite easy.  What you have to do is attach the outer struts first and let that dry.  That way the two wings are aligned and more stable.  Then you take it one cabane strut at a time.  At this point some scratch work has been necessary in the past but with the Loon Models corrected lower wing, they might fit ok.  We shall and out!  Such is the adventure.

I also have to correct the fit for the stabilizer because the gap will not fit smoothly onto the fuselage.  Trust me...the decals are the easy part!

I am continually amazed at Roden.  How could they spend so much time on such fine detail and screw up such basic aspects of the kit?  It boggles and baffles...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I am continually amazed at Roden.  How could they spend so much time on such fine detail and screw up such basic aspects of the kit?  It boggles and baffles...

Truer words were never spoken.....!

Thanks Stix...here's some more...

What kind of sick mind would mould the tailfin mounting bracket (adjustable too!) in 1/72nd scale and yet make sure that the modeller would have to take an hour of sanding, scraping, cutting and cursing just to fit the stabilizer on the rear of the fuselage?  Sick, I tell you...

44991277211_ca99f16c3b_z_d.jpg

Some of the rigging will go through these holes that I have drilled.

44272253324_2614f632f2_z_d.jpg

Bottom wing attached, tail feathers on, guns on.  I have masked the rear section so tomorrow I will paint that all white.  I have already tested the tape/decal combo and it does not pull the decals off.  Needless to say I will be removing the masks very very carefully.

30055171297_accb97ac18_z_d.jpg

That's it for tonight!

--John

• Like 2