F-4M/K Phantom II - Matchbox 1/72

CedB

11 hours ago, CedB said:

44285083984_4408ccbda2_z.jpg

It's probably too late now Ced, but I've only just noticed those triangular 'lumps' at the forward base of the fin. And I have no idea what they're supposed to be. I've never noticed them on a real toom, and there are actually two small intakes at each side of the extreme bottom forward edge of the fin, separated by a thin triangular piece of metal that follows the fin's leading edge profile. This picture will show it better than my explanation;

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/707056/xv586-royal-air-force-mcdonnell-douglas-phantom-fg-1/

As I say, probably too late, but even if you didn't want to carve the intakes out (& I wouldn't either!) I think it would look much better with just the lumps hacked off!

Keith

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Going full speed, Ced! :clap:

Very nice job on the stabilators, totally convincing :worthy:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking absolutely cracking Ced.  You really are motoring on this build.

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

Thanks Chris :) 

41 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

It's probably too late now Ced, but I've only just noticed those triangular 'lumps' at the forward base of the fin. And I have no idea what they're supposed to be. I've never noticed them on a real toom, and there are actually two small intakes at each side of the extreme bottom forward edge of the fin, separated by a thin triangular piece of metal that follows the fin's leading edge profile. This picture will show it better than my explanation;

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/707056/xv586-royal-air-force-mcdonnell-douglas-phantom-fg-1/

As I say, probably too late, but even if you didn't want to carve the intakes out (& I wouldn't either!) I think it would look much better with just the lumps hacked off!

Keith

Thanks Keith :) Yep, too late now, sorry :whistle:

Touched up:

31145304918_4d7d2a7283_z.jpg

Of course I now realise why jet builders leave the racks off until the end:

44969594292_42fb7d668d_z.jpg

Too lazy to mask them, now touched up. Happy with the tailplanes though:

45017742141_6f85ef0b15_z.jpg

Flickr

Transfers in the morning!

• Like 14

I love the smell of transfers in the morning, to misquote Col. Kilgore.

Coming along really well, I think I built the original blunt nosed version a long long time ago. I didn't realise that it had been modified, it looks much better now.

John

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks John :) 

So, transfers on eh?

45025312381_21de175111_z.jpg

Flickr

Oh dear (or words to that effect). I did have a try at lining up the transfers so that I could cut them around the pylons but then realised that they'd then be to big. 

Only one thing for it:

45025420821_f481704aa2_z.jpg

Off with them! Once again I can NOW see why jet builders put the pylons / racks on last. 

Touched up and drying:

44114647725_afaca0021e_z.jpg

• Like 12

I'm disappointed in you Ced - if you can hack the pylons off you could hack those lumps on the fin off too....!!! :tease:

Just kidding, you'll never see them on the ceiling anyway!

No Klear before transfers again....? :whistle: :D

K

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, CedB said:
10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Keith

Thanks Keith :) Yep, too late now, sorry :whistle:

Keith is half right, the ram air intake is missing, but those triangular lumps are supposed to represent a splitter plate that runs along the bottom of the intake slightly above and parallel to the top of the fuselage. If you look carefully at the photo's in the recent walkround you can make it out. Scale wise the Matchbox representation is far too thick, but it should be there. Personally, I'd cut out a triangle on the fin leading edge, remove the matchbox representation and replace it and the vertical intake dividing plate with thin plastic card; the alternative is to reduce the height of the matchbox representation with a bit of gentle filing before adding the dividing plate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Once again I can NOW see why jet builders put the pylons / racks on last. 

I wasn't going to say anything, but yes, pylons are among the last things to put on .... 

13 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

No Klear before transfers again....? :whistle: :D

Please, do Klear coat it, pretty please? :smile: 

Ciao

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

but those triangular lumps are supposed to represent a splitter plate that runs along the bottom of the intake slightly above and parallel to the top of the fuselage

I had seen that plate Dave, but in 1/72.....??!! :)

I admit that I hadn't considered that it was that plate that Matchbox were trying to represent by those huge great lumps of plastic!

Keith

• Like 2

Thanks Keith, Dave, Giorgio and Simon :) 

Little fins? Too late… sorry chaps. That said it would have been easier to chop them off than to get the transfers to go over the damn things!

Gloss coat before transfers? I'm using Steve's method to see how it goes - puddle of thinned Klear and roll down. Seems to work OK and quicker:

31154624438_1f7d6b0f4a_z.jpg

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, CedB said:

I'm using Steve's method to see how it goes - puddle of thinned Klear and roll down.

Either way, you have a gloss surface for the transfers to adhere - so, nice going! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I'm using Steve's method to see how it goes - puddle of thinned Klear and roll down. Seems to work OK and quicker:

I'll have think on that idea too :hmmm:.

Looking goos thoug Ced, even with the odd set-back. 

Stuart

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

It's probably too late now Ced, but I've only just noticed those triangular 'lumps' at the forward base of the fin. And I have no idea what they're supposed to be. I've never noticed them on a real toom,

The triangular horizontal fins are there (in fact you can just see their shadow in your pic), but Matchbox have overdone them a tad.  I believe they controlled the air around the fin base.

They are more obvious in this pic.

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/phantom_fgr.2/images/phantom_fgr.2_06_of_37.jpg

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Off with them! Once again I can NOW see why jet builders put the pylons / racks on last.

I like your decisive approach Ced!

She's looking really good so far.

Terry

• Thanks 1

'Black nose, grey wings
I ain't missin' not a single thing
And pylons, red fin
When I step out I'm gonna do you in

They come runnin' just as fast as they can
'Cause every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man FAA Phantom.'

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Black nose, grey wings
I ain't missin' not a single thing
And pylons, red fin
When I step out I'm gonna do you in

They come runnin' just as fast as they can
'Cause every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man FAA Phantom.'

Tony, you should grow a long white beard,  find two other companions ( maybe Beard is one?:shrug:) and get a yourself a 33' Ford Eleminator and visit Ced to sing him a fine lullaby:guitar: for his success. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

The triangular horizontal fins are there

That is a better pic James, they are the 'plate' I was thinking of when responding to Dave's post #132 - I have to admit Ididn't realise said 'plate' was in fact two triangular ones - I thought they were rectangular and much closer to the fuselage - every day's a school day!

Cracking looking Toom Ced, looks almost as good a kit as the brand new Airfix one (can you tell I'm very disappointed with Airfix's effort...?!) Shame really that Matchbox and Fujimi kits are fetching the same if not more on flea bay - seems I'm not the only one annoyed at Airfix!!

Keith

• Like 3

I put my head down for a couple of days to get some day-job-work done and when I raise my head,  Ced's built the kit, painted it, stripped it, repainted it, ripped bits off the kit, stuck them back on, did the transfers, and been on bloomin' vacation!

it does look nice though - even in those colors!  

gifa-escargot-turbo-boost%C3%A9.gif?fit=

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

they are the 'plate' I was thinking of when responding to Dave's post #132 - I have to admit Ididn't realise said 'plate' was in fact two triangular ones - I thought they were rectangular and much closer to the fuselage - every day's a school day

I 'spose plate is a better word for it really Keith, for some reason I had missed your responce at #132.

I have just seen that our @Tailspin Turtle has done an article on it here ( http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2016/01/f4hf-4-phantom-ram-air-inlet-mysteries.html ) , interesting reading like all of Tommys' articles

I was offered the fin off XV500 when it was scrapped and when I surveyed it before cutting I was surprised at how obvious that plate and intake are.  It doesn't look so obvious when you're stood 5 ft under it!

• Like 3