F-4M/K Phantom II - Matchbox 1/72

CedB

16 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm not a huge fan of most things after the 50s to be honest... but this is a bit 'iconic'. Shame I'll just be bashing it eh? 

I think bashing it is the best option for this old Matchbox.

I did pick up an Airfix Vampire at the raffle at the show this weekend along with the Fujimi F-4K.

The Vampire will probably end up in Egyptian markings from the Suez War but we shall see.

• Like 2

C'mon you lot, give a bloke a chance. This was at the start of page 2 when I looked yesterday, and I'm a slow reader.

I used to use 5amp fuse wire for ejector seat handles in 1/72, might be worth a try but black and yellow please.

Can I get on with my breakfast now please.

John

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Thanks Bill :) Pointy enough for OOB! The kit is going together pretty well with just some care needed when glueing the bottom of the fuselage; there was a bit of warpage on the sides but nothing serious.

Thanks Phil - bashing it will be! :) 

Thanks John - I tried to find your post with the fuse wire but to no avail - good tip though if I ever need it again and black and yellow in the brain :) 

Thanks Terry - understood! :D 

Last stage before the wheels, attaching those distinctive tailplanes:

31030493818_0431391918_z.jpg

Just kidding! :wicked: 

I need to check some references to see just how many of these gaps need filling:

44903757561_4193c949f5_z.jpg

44183744264_aeac2b4da7_z.jpg

Tailplanes a bit wobbly so supported while drying:

43991556405_5b442230fe_z.jpg

…but looking like a Phantom now:

44853798542_21a22f2239_z.jpg

Flickr

• Like 16

Those old Matchbox 'trenches' aren't a whole lot worse than the 'panel lines' on the new Airfix Toom - not been that much progress in Airfix's surface detailing over the last umpteen years then!!

Coming together really quickly Ced, looking good!

Keith

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It definitely looks better in this version than the one I built when the kit was new

The nose is a good effort now

Looking good Ced, the intake walls should match the fuselage contours

I know this is true acos I took some photos of the Phantom in Hendon from atop the ladder

Navy aviation huh, what good idea for a topic

Wasn't there talk of others?

😇

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, perdu said:

the intake walls should match the fuselage contours

True, and this is also the main issue in the HASEGAWA kit, for instance - lots of ETS work went into that when I did mines :frantic:

A whole lotta filling and sanding here, Ced  - well, at least this should bring this build into next week :whistle:  The longer the WIP, the more the fun, you know ... :winkgrin: 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sorry if I misled you Ced, I havn't posted anything on here with the twisted fuse wire, the last jet I finished was in the UK.The idea came from an edition of SAM a long time ago, paint the fuse wire with enamel paint then twist it quite tightly just  like you did with the thread.

Someone said earlier ' faster than a speeding bullet ' I think it's faster than that.

John

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

It's coming along nicely, looking just like a Phantom should!

Terry

Thanks Terry :) 

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Those old Matchbox 'trenches' aren't a whole lot worse than the 'panel lines' on the new Airfix Toom - not been that much progress in Airfix's surface detailing over the last umpteen years then!!

Coming together really quickly Ced, looking good!

Keith

Thanks Keith :) 

2 hours ago, perdu said:

It definitely looks better in this version than the one I built when the kit was new

The nose is a good effort now

Looking good Ced, the intake walls should match the fuselage contours

I know this is true acos I took some photos of the Phantom in Hendon from atop the ladder

Navy aviation huh, what good idea for a topic

Wasn't there talk of others?

😇

Thanks Bill :) OOB, but thanks for the details. Other Navy Aviation subjects? Might be…

1 hour ago, giemme said:

True, and this is also the main issue in the HASEGAWA kit, for instance - lots of ETS work went into that when I did mines :frantic:

A whole lotta filling and sanding here, Ced  - well, at least this should bring this build into next week :whistle:  The longer the WIP, the more the fun, you know ... :winkgrin: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) Not much for me OOB (see, if I keep saying it enough…)

36 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Sorry if I misled you Ced, I havn't posted anything on here with the twisted fuse wire, the last jet I finished was in the UK.The idea came from an edition of SAM a long time ago, paint the fuse wire with enamel paint then twist it quite tightly just  like you did with the thread.

Someone said earlier ' faster than a speeding bullet ' I think it's faster than that.

John

Don't worry John :) I'd made a note from a previous post of yours and just assumed you'd shown it. Idea stored though.

I owe Simon (Beard) and probably others an apology - I said I'd build wheels down but then I was positioning the front wheel door and it fell into the well and perfectly positioned itself. 'Oooh' I thought, 'that fits really well. I wonder what the other doors fit like?'. Before I knew it they were all in position. It's such a good fit, the best I've seen on a kit, so I couldn't resist, sorry:

44187402664_4c2a7c1a1a_z.jpg

29970837897_53106c54c7_z.jpg

Apart from that ejector mark on the middle door and the need to trim down a leg mount to let the door lay flush, all went well and very soon they were glued:

29970848317_3931c28069_z.jpg

Lovely.

Final bit is the canopies. They fit quite well too with only minimal sanding. Gator's Grip applied (but still not dried - it will go clear):

44907713661_c700cb4297_z.jpg

44907720341_1bc9d2eb5b_z.jpg

Flickr

Quick mask of the canopies then on with the primer!

• Like 15

And it's a yes from me.....

(although if memory serves they're something like titanium or magnesium or some other expensive -ium rather than steel. Wish my memory served better so I could remember what they actually were....)

K

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Blimey you don’t hang around!  A veritable QRA in modelling 😊

I built the initial release and cursing the squashed front end. I remember IPMS magazine afterwards advocating grafting an ESCI front end to cure the problem.......

.....didn’t say what to do with the left over bits though!!

Trevor

• Like 1

Looking at the fit, or lack of it, it  seems that you will be joining Martian's great Miliput parade. Other than that she is looking most promising!

Martian 👽

• Like 1

@CedB for realistic weapon loads it's really worth looking at pretty Phantom pics on the net, this thread is superb for references - there are much worse ways to spend the time

There have been some great Navy weapon loads, this sis one of my favourites consisting of ten rocket pods, for display purposes

1F4Navy.jpg

more mixed on this display aircraft here, with three rocket pods, four Sidewinders, two Sparrows, two baggage pods and fuel tanks

cb030f87828edf73dc24cff52610e002.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1