F-4M/K Phantom II - Matchbox 1/72

CedB

Look at this, thread less than 12 hours old & the place is bulging with them norven hemithingy riff raff again, I tell you, its southest predjuwotsit. :D

Looking forward to seeing you do great things on this old girl Ced, there was a thread recently that mentioned replacing the canopy ( they're too low) with the spare from a Fujimi one, cut away the frames & it improved the heck out of them apparently & fits well too, though hanging from on high, it may not be an issue for you.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Flippin' 'eck, what a crowd already! Welcome everyone :) 

Some decisions, some answers...

It's supposed to be a relaxing build so OOB please. Pretty please?

Simon (Beard) - just for you I think I'll build it wheels and hook down and hang it as if it's trying to slam into a tiny, uppy downy strip. The kit has no wheels up option and it will also let me keep Crisp happy with an RN scheme - the kit comes with transfers for XV569 so easy peasy...

John it may look small but it's all to the correct scale as far as I'm concerned 😜

Bill thanks for the offer of the correct bits but I'm going to bash this OOB and, with luck, will have it finished before you're back from the pub :) Great final episode of 'The Bodyguard' eh? Haven't seen it yet? The Butler did it...

Pete - Uncle Tom used to service Phantoms for the RAF and it was his favourite apparently.

So, OOB as XV569, something like this:

10654646375_5fb55a8162_z.jpg

XT872/R-004 Phantom FG1 892 Naval Air Squadron, RAF Leuchars by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

• Like 12

I will watch another "correct" scale build.

Not a huge Phantom Phan but I did pick up the nice new Airfix kit and I now have a couple of the Fujimi kits in the for sale stash.

Oooh 'eck, a Matchbox Phantom. It's only got about 15 bits Ced, you should have it done by teatime! (Just like we all used to manage 'back when we was young'...) I see that you have the late version of the kit, which M'box modified to more correctly portray the nose contours. I have a copy of both versions and one day I'll build them both (the original one was started back in the mid-80s, so the glue should be just about cured by now, eh?), with modifications as appropriate to correct the original issue errors.

Looking forward to seeing how you go with this!

• Like 1

Sorry for being late. Got the duffel coat caught in the turnstile on the way in...

I know nothing about these slick beasts so curious about that open flap under the word 'Navy' in the photo above. 🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Thanks for that Crisp.

An interesting website and a group I had heard of, but never really knew much about. We have friends in Belfast, so I think this is a place I must visit! I notice they also have PR9 XH131. In the seventies I worked for the MOD project office involved in procurement/refurb of a number of RAF aircraft, many long stories there .............. and my notes tell me that I have crawled all over this one when it was in the Sydenham works for refurb! Happy days, although somewhat fraught by events there at the time.

Terry

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Very nice. Do we know if it's a real K or an M in navy paint?

It is a genuine /K FG.1, it's a great restoration, they even removed the RAF only ILS aerials from the fin.

She was the one that turned up at St Athan on Arks' retirement with the 'Fly Navy' script,

1021000-large.jpg

I must admit, this one kit that I would happily build with the wheels up!

@CedB, I can't promise this, but I might have a spare Fujimi canopy

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

It is a genuine /K FG.1, it's a great restoration, they even removed the RAF only ILS aerials from the fin.

She was the one that turned up at St Athan on Arks' retirement with the 'Fly Navy' script,

1021000-large.jpg

I hadn’t noticed before, but they have restored her that way, too; if you scroll down via my link above you can see FLY NAVY on the starboard spine

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Yesssssssss! 🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️

You're welcome Terry (I'll have what he's having …) :D 

9 hours ago, philp said:

I will watch another "correct" scale build.

Not a huge Phantom Phan but I did pick up the nice new Airfix kit and I now have a couple of the Fujimi kits in the for sale stash.

Hi Phil - my larger scale ventures are over now I think. I had planned to move scale if/when my eyes got wobbly but there's as many tiny parts on them as 1/72!

I'm not a huge fan of most things after the 50s to be honest... but this is a bit 'iconic'. Shame I'll just be bashing it eh? 

9 hours ago, Rob G said:

Oooh 'eck, a Matchbox Phantom. It's only got about 15 bits Ced, you should have it done by teatime! (Just like we all used to manage 'back when we was young'...) I see that you have the late version of the kit, which M'box modified to more correctly portray the nose contours. I have a copy of both versions and one day I'll build them both (the original one was started back in the mid-80s, so the glue should be just about cured by now, eh?), with modifications as appropriate to correct the original issue errors.

Looking forward to seeing how you go with this!

Thanks Rob :) Good to know some of the errors have been corrected.

7 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

I'll just leave this here.... 🤨

Thanks Dave :) No, honest, OOB this one… well, mostly.

6 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Thanks Crisp :) Lovely pictures on that site too.

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Sorry for being late. Got the duffel coat caught in the turnstile on the way in...

I know nothing about these slick beasts so curious about that open flap under the word 'Navy' in the photo above. 🤔

No worries Tony, good to have you along :) 

4 hours ago, amblypygid said:

That is, I believe, an auxiliary air door necessitated by the Spey's greater demand for air.

Thanks Chris :) 

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

[snip photo -shame!]

I must admit, this one kit that I would happily build with the wheels up!

@CedB, I can't promise this, but I might have a spare Fujimi canopy

Thanks James - great photo. Thanks also for the offer of the canopy - but I'll probably have this bashed before the post gets it to me.

(Nice discussion on the restoration chaps - interesting and always welcome)

Some modelling bashing this morning. Painting up the crew requires waiting for multiple colours to dry (come on, come on) so other bits attended to.

Mustn't forget me hook.. ahaaar Jim lad!

44162537664_512f78405d_z.jpg

Belay them ejector marks!

Sorry, came over all pirate there.

Why are pirates pirates? because they arrrrrrrr :D 

(That's my third favourite joke by the way after Brown Paper Pete and the Little Paper Bag)

By the way, I was wrong to say there's no paint scheme - there is, look:

44883208121_c30236b1c6_n.jpg 44162556494_a77a5dc562_n.jpg

Ah, so, or words to that effect. Thanks for that Matchbox. I've looked back at the Red Arrows build and decided to do the same black/grey bits.

More crew painting… come on, dry damn you!

I thought this was a complex u/c part:

44832926742_17ef2e58f5_z.jpg

… then looked closely and saw the join. Cleaned up and AK'd with the hook (arrrrr me 'arties):

29947005057_97506ed1ed_z.jpg

Have I told you I like this paste stuff? Yes? Oh, right. On black plastic with a micro-brush you can 'weather' at the same time (sort of). Did you notice I've used the chrome pen on the oleos (is that what they're called?) Can't see it? Oh well, maybe it'll show up later.

Finally:

44833416422_265a5019fa_z.jpg

They can go in to this highly (not) detailed 'pit:

43071919420_04976a1aea_z.jpg

OOB.

But wait, what's this?

44831264642_1a6d2aa3c2_z.jpg

Thread, red and yellow. 'ish. Twisted together and Gators Grip thin applied:

31008853888_d961556a35_z.jpg

Can you see what it is yet?

Jer did some ejector handles on one of his and I was impressed - we'll see if I can do something similar at this scale.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1