The Last F-8 Gun Kill

tc2324

Hi all,

Just for clarity before I start planning my next dio, I`m of the understanding that the very last gun kill by an F-8 was by LCDR Robert Kirkwood of VF-24 on the 21st July 1967.

Can someone confirm this is indeed correct and if anyone has any profiles or added information it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

tc

According to MiG Master by Barratt Tillman you are correct It was an F-8C from Bonne Homme Richard.  Note that John Nichols (VF-191) claimed a MiG-17 using AIM-9 and guns - he fired a AIM-9D which hit but the MiG carried on flying so it was finished off with guns . This was 9 July 1968.

George

Edited by boffin
speeling
  • Like 1

Thanks George, much appreciated.

It`s put me in a quandary now though. I want to model the last gun kill so do I do the 1967 incident which is reported as a `pure` gun kill of go for the 1968 kill which was a mix of both gun and missile but finished off with gun..?? 

I'd probably go with Nichols' mount as this was an F-8E, a variant that is well served in every scale. Kirkwood Crusader was an F-8C and this variant features several differences from the E or J that all current kits represent. Aftermarket parts may not be easily available and the work needed can be a bit tricky. Of course if you have no problem with such a conversion then you have many more possibilities.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2018 at 4:05 PM, tc2324 said:

Thanks for the opinions chaps. Have to admit I quite like the VF-191 option but finding these decals in 1/72 seems to be a bit of a deal breaker. Got time so no rush.

Wolfpak Decals did that jet on sheet 72-061.  LINK  They are sold out at their website, but Fantasy Printshop in the UK (who prints the decals for Mark at Wolfpack) still has it in stock.  ANOTHER LINK

Regards,

Murph

11 hours ago, Murph said:

Wolfpak Decals did that jet on sheet 72-061.  LINK  They are sold out at their website, but Fantasy Printshop in the UK (who prints the decals for Mark at Wolfpack) still has it in stock.  ANOTHER LINK

Regards,

Murph

Perfect, thank you very much for the links, really helpful and a real time saver.👍