Trumpeter T-72B1 w/Kontakt Reactive Armour

BlackMax12

Not much progress today. There are 162 ERA blocks on the hull along with 50 mounting brackets for them. Several different part

numbers to go in specific locations and some are two piece as the back shows. Wonder why this couldn't have been moulded

in one or two pieces instead of 200 plus.  Then there are another 68 ERA blocks for the turret which hasn't been started, enough for today.

rCijZQO.jpgbV3kZjl.jpgqm3XmBL.jpghzTTAb3.jpgZQuWnHz.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 4

Hi Widow

I picked this up at Avalon on Friday afternoon and as of this morning I have about 45-50 hours into it. Some of that was waiting for paint to cure. It's actually

a pretty simple model that I think is partly intended for the R/C crowd. Other than the very annoying 230 individual ERA blocks it is a pretty straightforward

build. For example the side skirts are moulded on the main hull and the wheels are 2 pieces plus rubber tires rather than the 6-8 piece wheels on something

like the Takom Chieftain series. All of those shortcuts make life easier and the result still looks decent. Too bad the price isn't better as this one isn't

a lot cheaper than the 1/16 King Tigers and Jagdtiger with their complete interiors. There is NO interior on this one and that's a relief. I have a 1/16 Panther G

on order and it has the complete interior so it will be another marathon, still I'm looking forward to it in November.

Lots of spare time and when I like a model I tend to spend lots of that time, like 15 plus hour sessions on it. Then when it's mostly complete

I have a hard time getting back to it. I have a 1/35 Merkava IV, a 1/35 Chieftain 5, a 1/16 King Tiger, a 1/16 Maxxpro and now this 1/16 T-72 that all

need finishing. Some is just simple like tracks, some need paint jobs, some need weathering and detailing but the winter is coming and it's long

here on the prairies so they will probably all go back on the bench before spring.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

Pretty much finished, toned down the camo a bit and some dust and dirt. It's used but not too filthy. It is not that yellow in real life,

more of a honey brown with green and black splotches. Forgot to paint the 2 spare track links on the rear plate in something other

than camo colors and maybe the tow cables also.

I'd like to take it outside for natural light but it's 5C and raining with snow expected Sat and Sunday. Oh Joy!!!

Sitting on top of the dryer I can always run it through Delicates or Permanent Press. Maybe should have covered that,  oops!

VzL82dY.jpgxDUjKB0.jpg4XB44gZ.jpgo7jE66D.jpgU1BjqGm.jpgqjlYW5J.jpgI5uF7Jq.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 7

Thanks Jasper

I looked at the M16 at the LHS  and not very impressed. Some of it like the guns is great and the metal chassis is a good idea but

overall the kit didn't impress me. The tracks are atrocious rubber bands that are so stiff they won't bend properly and they don't have

the links marked on the inside, they are just blank rubber. Might be a real trick trying to make the inside of the track look like joined

links.  I searched the web for  replacement tracks for the M16 like Fruil or Modelkasten and found nothing.

I passed on that one, same as the 1/16 M1A1 with the sprockets that don't even fit the kit tracks. Trumpeter seems to be hit and miss on their

1/16 stuff. The King Tigers and Jagdtiger are good, the Panzer IVs not bad, the T-34 and SU100 represent the rough quick Soviet builds, the Maxxpro

is not great and the latest T-72 pretty simple with no interior. I hope they don't drop the ball on the new 1/16 Panther G as I want that one and maybe, just

maybe there is a 1/16 Jagdpanther G2 to follow the Panther.

Take care,

Lloyd

Thanks Soeren

Yes I now have 9 of the big boys and space is getting pretty tight. I can see a new bigger and lots more expensive display cabinet

on the horizon.

I picked up the new Meng 1/35 Jagdpanther and started it last night. It's a decent kit though small after the last 4 large scale kits I

have been working on. The hull is multi piece so I got that assembled, the wheels built and the swing arms all installed but that's it so far.

May start on the indy link tracks with the add-on teeth, there are 87 links per side and that is 174 teeth so that will be today's project, providing I find some initiative

lying around here somewhere.

There are 4 choices of how to build it with different guns, mantlets, tool storage, etc and I don't like any of the 4 paint schemes they offer. 

I might just build it my way with different features so it doesn't resemble any prototype then I can fudge up my own camo scheme. 

Take care,

Lloyd

Hey Lloyd. Cool, you started that kit already. I am not completely sure whether to first cut down my stash or getting another kit. Panther for sure. With the Meng Jagdpanther I would go with the brown on yellow and some heavily weathered white stripes. That should be really interesting. As long as there is no Atak Zim available, the two other options fall out, sadly.

Hi Soeren

I started a thread in WIP on the Jagdpanther. 

Haven't decided on a scheme yet. I'm building it as an earlier G1 with the one piece gun

as I have a Dragon G2 with the composite gun and whitewash. Whatever the scheme it will be fairly simple. I like the way the yellow with

green bands turned out on my 1/16 Jagdtiger so I may go that way but with some narrow light brown bands just to be different. For

sure I won't use any of the 4 suggested schemes.

This one won't have zimmerit as I'm probably never trying the putty and rake torture again and it is later 1944 after all.

Take care,

Lloyd

You see......a week goes by and you have completed another fantastic build..........and I missed the progress! I do not know how you manage to make such fantastic looking large AFVs so quickly! There would be months of work for me with a kit like that! Very impressive again Lloyd. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix