Do you reuse masking tape?

Pin

ooo...same as my IQ, or is it my waist line, can never remember which.

No I don't.

3 main reasons

1 - if its used more than once it may lose its adhesive qualities resulting in paint creep and thus defeating  it's raison d'être.

2 - It will probably pick up the odd hair ( blinkin dog ) fluff, old pizzas etc,  between uses.

3 - It will more than likely after first use have deformed edges.

I use good ole Tamiya or Aizu Micron, with low tack decorators tape for fill ins.

why do you ask?

1 minute ago, sinnerboy said:

why do you ask?

Because all of a sudden I realised that I started to reuse a lot of it, something that I haven't done before, and the reason is not economy, so I'm wondering if I'm the only one who does that.

The fact that it is less adhesive may be actually a good thing, especially if one deals with NMF or other gentle paintwork. I always use new tape for edges but for area covering previously used pieces of tape seem just right.

• Like 1

Yes and no. As you say tape it expensive. I only use tamiya. 

The stuff right next to the paint, no that is fresh everytime. 

Same as @Pin - other bits that ‘backfill’ surrounding areas, yes. You can use those bits a few time over during a painting session of masking several things. 

Eg fresh tape on all demarcations for each separate part/area. 

One set of ‘backfill’ tape pieces. Spray one part. Remove excess tape bits and place onto second part. Repeat. Till it loses its stick or gets too much paint on it etc. 

Tony. 

• 7 months later...

I reuse mask only to fill areas as well, never for line work. Like you, I like the low adhesion it gains with each use. I use 3M blue painters tape, could not find the gentler green low adhesive tape in the Philippines. If I worry about the tape lifting, I will first place and peel several times, then put it over paint that concerns me. Probably just being to cautious, but that never hurt anybody, I think......

Anthony

I tend to reuse Tamiya masking tape, but generally only for "infill" areas. I'll use fresh tape on the demarcations, just to be sure of a good, clean edge.

Although I also use Frog low tack tape, I find that it isn't really suitable for a second use.

Cheers,

Mark.