Henschel Hs123B-1

andyh59

Just completed the excellent Gaspatch 1/48 Henschel Hs123B-1, this really is a beautiful kit, although it doesn't fall together like the Tamigawa kits, but requires some patience and thought to assemble. I also used the Eduard p/e accessory set, mainly for the control panel ( a bit of laziness on my part ) instead of using the kit supplied plastic panel  and decals. This kit actually requires no aftermarket parts everything is supplied.

I decided I wanted to represent a well used, well worn machine. I used Vallejo Model Air Paints for the main camouflage colours RLM 71/65 and Mission Models paint for the RLM04. I actually faded the paints more than I usually would to give a well worn finish.

This particular machine is from 4/SchG2 Russia 1942-43, this aircraft scheme is from the internet and AMTech boxing of the old ESCI kit which incorrectly states it to be a Hs123A-1. Although it is difficult to differentiate between the A and B models the wings being fabric covered on the A and metal on the B not easily discernable from photographs.

The base is just a temporary setting for the "photo-shoot"!img%5Dimg%5Dimg%5Dimg%5Dimg%5Dimg%5Dimg%5Dimg%5Dimg%5Dimg%5Dimg%5Dimg%5D

Cheers

Andy

• Like 33

Having wasted too many months of my life on the Italeri 1/48 Hs-123, I wish I had gone Gaspatch because it looks like an amazing kit.

You certainly seem to have done it justice because it looks exceptionally well build and painted.

Another great build. This has been a good day for completed builds. I have the A1 Gaspatch kit. How easy was it to get the top wing correct? I built the Italeri kit. The wing was really difficult to get right and ended up being my worse kit ever, which is a shame as it is one of my favorite planes. I made one for CFS3.

Edited by Greg Law

Very nice job, just Abe excellent looking plane.  I have done the ESCI kit (Amtech) and this thempts me to see what fire crackers would do to it as it is one of those models that just is not very good, particularly the cowling.  Which is what I was looking at on your Gaspatch model here and it looks perfect! 

On 9/22/2018 at 8:13 PM, Greg Law said:

Another great build. This has been a good day for completed builds. I have the A1 Gaspatch kit. How easy was it to get the top wing correct? I built the Italeri kit. The wing was really difficult to get right and ended up being my worse kit ever, which is a shame as it is one of my favorite planes. I made one for CFS3.

13 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Very nicely done. 

I have a Gaspatch Hs123 sitting in the ‘to do’ pile. Any tips or things to watch out for?

Duncan B

Many thanks for your positive comments. As to any tips or pitfalls with this kit they are really just take care with alignment of parts ( especially the cowling ). I did have to make some slight adjustments fitting the lower wing to fuselage and use a little filler to fair in but this may have been down to me rather than the kit!! Just take your time you will need tweezers and in my case a head magnifier especially with some of the photo-etch.

The top wing is no problem with fit and alignment, just fit the cabane struts to the fuselage first before they stick too firmly dry fit the top wing to get their alignment correct. When I finally added the top wing I just glued it to the cabane struts, the main struts were just snapped in without the need for glue.

In regards to the ESCI/AMTech/Italeri/Revell kit there really is no comparision, but when first issued over 30 years was a type I would have never have thought to see in kit form and has served well all that time. I still have 3 unbuilt kits in my stash - what to do with them 😫 ???

Too much to hope, I expect, for Gaspatch to bring out another Luftwaffe type of this standard, but just enjoy building this state of the art modellers kit highly recommended.

Again thanks for your comments.

Cheers

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2