Nakajima Newbie

Hi folks,

I've finally managed to get round to completing the Airfix 1/72 B5N2 Kate which I originally entered for the Carriers Ahoy GB but alas as is so often the case was unable to finish.:wall:

The kit has been an absolute pleasure to build with excellent detail throughout and went together with the minimum of fuss and only a tiny bit of filler here and there.  I used some new paints for me - a set of Japanese specific paints from AK Interactive and whilst I think the colours are excellent - I found the paint itself to be a bit lacking - almost too runny and too sticky in equal measure.  Never mind - I persevered and I managed to use them ok.  Built OOB with the addition of a montex mask set and I used some eduard seatbelts for the cockpit.

The title of this thread relates to the fact that I've never built a Japanese aircraft until now so I hope I've done the type justice.  I've gone a bit photo heavy I'm afraid as you'll see below.  Please let me know what you think.

DSC00411

DSC00413

DSC00415

DSC00416

DSC00417

DSC00418

DSC00419

DSC00422

DSC00423

DSC00424

DSC00425

DSC00426

DSC00431

DSC00432

DSC00433

DSC00435

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, colin said:

Very nice Kate, it looks quite a big bird with the wing span even for 1/72 scale

Thanks Colin.  Yes it does seem fairly big and it has a really wide undercarriage which I suppose you would want in a carrier aircraft

1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

I think you have done the plane justice. Well done. 

Thanks Greg - pleased you think so

Finally someone who used recent research of how the underside color should appear :)

(even if it is a stock paint as I just read)

It wasn't light grey nor green grey but amber grey, kudos, very well done in total too !!

2 minutes ago, occa said:

Finally someone who used the recent research of how the underside color should appear :)

It wasn't light grey nor green grey but amber grey, kudos !!

Hey occa - thanks for your feedback.  As I said I bought a set of paint to try and ensure the colours were more accurate so I'm glad this has paid off.

39 minutes ago, BerndM said:

Beautiful Kate. Love the neat finish and the not overdone chipping.

Thanks for your kind comments BerndM - I do like to see examples of over weathered Japanese aircraft but I think it's a skill in itself which is why I decided not to overdo it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, russ c said:

Very nice Kate there, I like how you`ve weathered the markings too

Thanks Russ. It's one of those things that's often overlooked to weather the markings but it helps to make decals look more painted on rather than look like stickers I always think.