British Army Land Rovers

RAGATIGER

1000 thanks you all, someone pass me a Italeri 1/35 Land Rover instructions and under my limited understanding it was some kind of RAF interior green variety that I don't have

but now I can progress them further

Best modeling 

Armando

Yes don't know about the British but having spent a lot of time inside Irish army Landrovers which were basically the same. Green, green and green inside and out.

I have the same Italeri Landrover. I want to build it like the one I spent a lot of time careening around the border area on the Irish side back in the day. The driver seemed to have a death wish as we charged down various boreens at full tilt.

The Sergeant eventually said, ' Take it easy there Private' to the driver but I didn't notice much change in the velocity.

You know I fancy a diorama of the day when me and another victim were volunteered to load the 'Rover' with the garbage and bring it to the local dump. The glamour of military life.🤬

Edited by noelh

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Late to the party but remember in the early 80's my dads unit getting a vehicle from storage to fit an exiting Ambulance body to which had been removed from a wrecked vehiclle and the vehicle from store came on deep bronze green so it had been stored for a while. Looked strange with a nato green/black body on it.

Rovers up to Series IIA, possibly some Series III, would have been factory-finished in Deep Bronze Green.  Although many were later repainted.  That repainting probably didn't extend to the interior.  The Italeri kit is a Series III and would most likely have been factory finished in the IRR green. 

Many garrison vehicles in the UK remained plain green without the black disruptive pattern, and could occasionally be seen with the cream hard top.  RAF airfield vehicles were plain green with the yellow stripe, although those allocated to Harrier and Regiment Squadrons were disruptively painted.  IIRC MOD bought a bunch of civilian-spec SIIIs towards the end of SIII production to use for garrison duties to allow the GS types to be re-allocated to combat units.  AFAIK they were all painted matt green rather than civilian gloss green.  The change from SIII to 90/110 was one forced on MOD by L-R and MOD wasn't ready for it.

You are aware, I presume that the Italeri Landy is a civilian-spec vehicle and not a GS type?  OOB it could only build a late SIII UK garrison vehicle. The main external changes for a GS would be:

• Fill in the fuel filler (it was under the front seats) and leave off the rear fuel tank. 
  • New fuel tanks under the front seats
  • Rear bumper replaced with a straight rectangular one (no end tapers)
  • Rear bumper grab handles replaced with the prominent square bumperettes
  • Tool clips on the tailgate
  • Double front bumpers in front of the wings (in some kit versions)
  • No middle front seat
  • Driver and passenger seats made of 2 separate pieces (probably won't be visible)
  • lower top to seat backs
  • Dexion racking across cab bulkhead
  • rifle clips on cab bulkhead
  • Different dash layout
  • T-shaped bonnet catches
  • GS towing pintle and electrical connection
  • Rectangular wing mirrors mounted on door hinges
  • oversized side and rear light and indicator covers (later)
  • Tyre pattern is dubious and undersized for a 109
  • Different axles (doesn't really show either)
  • If you have the soft top, the windowed type provided wasn't used by UK forces and wasn't generally available in the UK
  • If you have the hard top, the side windows are wrong and the GS hard top didn't have the alpine windows, rear side windows or outer sunshield
  • Roll-up window blinds were often fitted over the windows on hard tops to stop glint by day or allow internal light use by night
  • An FFR vehicle would need further modifications
  • I think that's about it.

BSM and Firing Line do update sets for this kit including the right wheels/tyres, also available separately from BSM.  Not cheap, though.

Going slightly off-topic, at the end of 90/110 production in favour of the Defender with the new TD5 engine, L-R had none of the old diesels left and MOD chose to buy several hundred V8 petrol 110s for garrison duties to free up diesels for combat units while it processed the support changes. Allegedly the RAF Police had some where they removed the rear propshaft and ran them in high range 4WD as front wheel drive in an attempt to improve the road handling.

• Like 2

The Revell boxings of the kit correct some of these faults, such as the front and rear bumpers, tool stowage, wing mirrors and canvas tilt.  The fuel filler is tooled-out but the rear fuel tank remains and the under-seat tanks are not included.

On 1/28/2019 at 8:21 AM, Das Abteilung said:

Rovers up to Series IIA, possibly some Series III, would have been factory-finished in Deep Bronze Green.  Although many were later repainted.  That repainting probably didn't extend to the interior.  The Italeri kit is a Series III and would most likely have been factory finished in the IRR green. 

Many garrison vehicles in the UK remained plain green without the black disruptive pattern, and could occasionally be seen with the cream hard top.  RAF airfield vehicles were plain green with the yellow stripe, although those allocated to Harrier and Regiment Squadrons were disruptively painted.  IIRC MOD bought a bunch of civilian-spec SIIIs towards the end of SIII production to use for garrison duties to allow the GS types to be re-allocated to combat units.  AFAIK they were all painted matt green rather than civilian gloss green.  The change from SIII to 90/110 was one forced on MOD by L-R and MOD wasn't ready for it.

You are aware, I presume that the Italeri Landy is a civilian-spec vehicle and not a GS type?  OOB it could only build a late SIII UK garrison vehicle. The main external changes for a GS would be:

• Fill in the fuel filler (it was under the front seats) and leave off the rear fuel tank. 
  • New fuel tanks under the front seats
  • Rear bumper replaced with a straight rectangular one (no end tapers)
  • Rear bumper grab handles replaced with the prominent square bumperettes
  • Tool clips on the tailgate
  • Double front bumpers in front of the wings (in some kit versions)
  • No middle front seat
  • Driver and passenger seats made of 2 separate pieces (probably won't be visible)
  • lower top to seat backs
  • Dexion racking across cab bulkhead
  • rifle clips on cab bulkhead
  • Different dash layout
  • T-shaped bonnet catches
  • GS towing pintle and electrical connection
  • Rectangular wing mirrors mounted on door hinges
  • oversized side and rear light and indicator covers (later)
  • Tyre pattern is dubious and undersized for a 109
  • Different axles (doesn't really show either)
  • If you have the soft top, the windowed type provided wasn't used by UK forces and wasn't generally available in the UK
  • If you have the hard top, the side windows are wrong and the GS hard top didn't have the alpine windows, rear side windows or outer sunshield
  • Roll-up window blinds were often fitted over the windows on hard tops to stop glint by day or allow internal light use by night
  • An FFR vehicle would need further modifications
  • I think that's about it.

BSM and Firing Line do update sets for this kit including the right wheels/tyres, also available separately from BSM.  Not cheap, though.

Going slightly off-topic, at the end of 90/110 production in favour of the Defender with the new TD5 engine, L-R had none of the old diesels left and MOD chose to buy several hundred V8 petrol 110s for garrison duties to free up diesels for combat units while it processed the support changes. Allegedly the RAF Police had some where they removed the rear propshaft and ran them in high range 4WD as front wheel drive in an attempt to improve the road handling.

And of cause the wrong number of wheel studs.  The kit has one too many.

I've heard of a rivet counter, but a nut-counter is a new one. You're not counting mine!! 😁

Yes I missed that one.  But the tyres are so bad the nuts are the least of the wheels' problems!  The BSM wheel set cures both.  With apologies to those who do know this, I should point out that none of the L-R wheels from DEF, Panzer Art etc are appropriate.  The BSM and Firing Line ones are the only correct ones for an SIII.

By the time you've bought the kit, the BSM or Firing Line upgrades and possibly some other etch you're half-way or more to the cost of an Accurate Armour SIII.  And you're still fettling an old and not particularly good kit that still needs a lot of other help.