Timm N2T-1 in civil galore. Modifed Execuform vacuformed 1/72nd kit

• 4 weeks later...

Another beauty.  May I ask, is vac form difficult to build and if so, what are the advantages?  About 45 years back I got the Guillows P38 (and actually got the thing to fly!) and it had a few vac-formed parts that were an absolute BEAR to cut with any accuracy.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Uncle Pete said:

is vac form difficult to build and if so, what are the advantages? 

Hi Uncle Pete:

I don't find vacs, in general, more difficult than some injected and resin kits (I rather build a vac than a Dujin resin kit, for example).

That been said, vacs, like in any other media, come in many flavors, and there are good vacs and not so good ones.

I have posted here many, of all kinds. They require the same -and some  additional- skills than other media.

The advantages, if any, are the subjects they represent and others don't, and the (good) challenge they offer to your modelling skills (that prompted me and taught me to scratchbuild).

They have their limitations (as do injected and resin kits) and in general, especially compared to the last generation of injected and resin kits (of good manufacturers, that is) their level of detail and precision is less.

I love them and will continue to build them as they represent a different facet of the modeling universe.

I am also fond of them because they demand more than just put parts together, and have an extra layer of nostalgia (the same reason we build old Airfix or Heller or Italeri kits).

It must be love.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Moa,

Another one of your excellent vacform models! I remember seeing an N2T-1 at the US Museum of Naval Aviation years ago- I was not aware that it was primarily  wood/resin in construction and that the USN ordered 200+ to be used as primary trainers. It's a shame they weren't all metal, as I bet many more would have been preserved and flown on the civil registry. Looks pretty snappy in the red/white scheme! Looks like it was a fun build. 👍

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pheonix said:

Somehow I missed this one before. As others have written - another gem from your collection. I must admit that I have not built a vacform, and now I scratchbuild I probably will not do so.

P

You don't know what you are missing...

(Nowhere man, The world is at your command…)

Beatles fan

• Haha 1