To create this:

20180919_204634.jpg

And this:
20180919_222710.jpg

I'm in the process of correcting the bow to look more like this:
fetch?id=64699&d=1318442222&type=full

This so far:
20180921_170715.jpg

And that's up to date.  Here's to finishing it!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Very interesting modification, and a great subject to model. What software have you used to do the 3D modelling?

Terry

OnShape.  It works well for me as I had some SolidWorks training at a previous job and OnShape uses the same mindset (its creators are ex-SW people).

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Great stuff - both the 3D modelling and the more old-fashioned stuff.  To help those of us less familiar with submarine kits, do you have any pics from before you improved the bow?

I don't but I found this image:
airfix-hms-trafalgar-3.jpg?fit=1024,618&

There's a really pronounced lip/step that I don't believe should be there.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

Nice to see you in the WiP section Woodstock. She's coming along nicely and a nice bit of 3D work. Looks like the cut-out was a 'tad' bigger than you 3D part. ;)

Stuart

Yeah, there was some guess work establishing the first cut, but the gap is an easy fill as I've got that 7mm hull section kicking about:

20180922_104026.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

I don't think anybody would have spotted anything wrong, I still can't but you look like a detail man, so it'll be sorted. :yes:

Stuart

You would have when the door wouldn't open!  Didn't think to put the upper and lower hinges on the same concentricity; it wouldn't have opened otherwise.  I've drawn this, like my SEAL DDS', so that the door will swing open with the insertion of a piece of small diameter piano wire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KEVIN_ARIS said:

the (pod of death)parked on the after end did nothing for trying to keep periscope depth lol, looking forward to seeing your results, god i miss being back at sea on those things

You're talking about the shelter itself?  Interesting.  Can only imagine it's only a few steps up from a parachute hydrodynamically.  Always wondered about flow noise too with these things.

I thought the Astute's were to have an integral shelter from the get-go too.  Something seamless combined into the structure above the pressure hull (what do you call the hutch, for a lack of a better word, that goes over the top of the pressure hull?), maybe slightly larger sail than needed.

Been another delay, Shapeways didn't like my CAD (even though they printed it before?!?) so I had to tweak it to make them happy and that delayed it across a weekend + 48 hours.  Should ship tomorrow, and if I'm very lucky, I'll have it Friday.

• 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Sorry but video not working here...Youtube working fine.

Stuart

Same here. Looks like someone has removed the video. Someone who took exception to us seeing it perhaps? 🤐

Terry

• 3 years later...

I'm a new joiner, however, upstream there was a query by @Woodstock74 about the bow step/line - well, it exists! It can be clearly seen in this picture of Swiftsure being launched. Also - those grey bow sonar windows...... nope, don't exist. It is a one piece conformal GRP moulding. Sometimes black, sometimes GRP natural colour. Traf boats not sure.

Can't import picture - Google Swiftsure launch!