Colourset improvements

Hi Jamie,

this is all very well and good and I'd really like to have these new RN colours in my collection. However, with the extreme clampdown on mailing enamels, lacquers etc  (anything inflammable or marked toxic/poisonous) I cannot order these, even from Australia (I live in New Zealand). Have you considered producing these in water-based acrylics or, in lieu, providing accurate colour matches across other paint ranges so that we can find alternatives?

Cheers

GrahamB

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Our Bismarck Final Sortie Colourset is one of our most popular, but also one of the first we made well before we had even the first clue how to draw simple graphics for illustrations. I'd been dreading doing it, but once I got in to it I decided to be clever with the Layers in the drawing to allow me to show all the iterations worn in the last weeks of Bismarck's very short career.

509bc29c-69b5-4f8e-83be-99f5fe56262d.png

424f9f65-9740-4eb8-a5a9-c955279e1867.png

c52a2fa6-e529-4983-b9c2-43d7c933c42b.png

944611f8-6348-489d-995b-29512c5ceeeb.png

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, sapperastro said:

Are these also stored on your website Jamie?

Hi Greig,

Those for specific paint sets are just under the products listings, but pictures like Bismarck there when I do them are all in our schemes & references section which perhaps isn't all that obvious unless you know where to look?

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/pages/colour-schemes-references-colourcoats-research

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Two more today. These have become a pet peave, because someone got confused a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away and painted Airfix's 1/600 HMS Suffolk in what he thought was China Stations colours with white hull and buff upperworks, which thanks to declassified primary source documentation we now know is a hard-clash with the Admiralty Fleet Orders covering the subject from 1919 through 1937. Yet, the misconception persists. East Indies Station and Red Seas Station however did feature a somewhat related appearance but using Primrose Yellow, as the official documents state and on the funnels, masts and yard arms only.

East Indies Station

RN1930sEastIndiesStn_540x.png?v=15975078

China Stations. The appearance was similar from 1919 through 1937, but 507B was revised to contain some Egyptian Blue in 1928 through 1936 when it was revised again, and it's this version of 507B contained herein. If you want to model 1919 through 1928, use NARN05 instead of NARN07.

RN1930sChinaStn_540x.png?v=1597507664

• Like 6

I meant to include this yesterday too. For quite a while we've been one of the few (only??) model paint company offering a good representation of DuPont 71-021 Sky Type S Grey or Spec 3-1 No.323 Sky Grey, the paints used on the undersides of US built aircraft originally ordered by the United Kingdom in Temperate Land Scheme. This includes many aircraft diverted back to US service as well as many sent to Russia. It was noticeably different from the proper British Sky. This paint was rather prolific, and extant samples of metal and fabric from AVG P-40s even show this paint. Unfortunately, much as that which has corrupted understanding of British ship colours for years, there is a substantial number of people who insist that green & brown P-40s etc such as those used in China were simply light gray underneath, but all evidence points to it actually being the US equivalent of Sky.

Anyway, we had previously offered a 3-colour set with our standard RAF Dark Green and Dark Earth, but this time we've decided to go the whole hog and introduce a better representation of Spec 3-1 No.318 or DuPont 71-013 Dark Green, which was similar to RAF Dark Green but a little darker and greener rather than olive like the British colour. Similarly, we're introducing a Spec 3-1 No.303 or DuPont 71-035 Dark Earth, which likewise was a bit darker than RAF Dark Earth. I had been chewing these over for a while based on Dana Bell's writings, but Nick Millman has spectrophotometer measurements from some P-40 artifacts which corroborate very well with Dana's information, so I've decided if it's worth doing the underside paint properly it's worth doing the upper surfaces too.

This set has hence been withdrawn temporarily and will be reintroduced during Q3 with US Equivalent paints all over, shown here with the British paints for direct comparison:

USEquivTLS2_540x.png?v=1597509371RAFFAATempLandScheme_540x.png?v=15798770

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

Likely the last for this year is this new one for German WWI aircraft such as the Albatros D.Va with the attractive green and purple/mauve over light blue camouflage wings and often brightly decorated fuselages.

ACGWGermanGMB_2048x2048.png?v=1608551915

• Like 3

• 6 months later...