McLaren F1 GTR: Aoshima vs Fujimi

Ben Brown

Hi All,

After seeing the two beautiful builds of the Aoshima kit in the Ready for Inspection section, I was wondering how the Fujimi, kit stands up to it. Engine detail isn’t too important to me, since I build cars as curbsides. The Fujimi kit seems to be slightly less expensive and provides photo etched parts. Is there a general preference for one or the other kit?

Thanks!

Ben

i have built both (fujimi loctite and aoshima gulf) and not only fujimi is awfully high from the ground, but it's plain WRONG. It has parts from the short tail mixed with long tail and from the road version, mixed togheter with bad proportion. Aoshima is perfect.

List of things wrong in the Fujimi:

- Excessive height from the ground

- Short nose

- Side windows wrong (taken from the road version with the dividing line from upper and lower part)

- Cockpit Rear view mirrors (the Race car does not have any rear view mirror simply because the engine cover is not transparent, so they would be unuseful)

- Rear tail too high and too short

- Tires too big

in conclusion, go with aoshima.

Edited by fet_thunderdome
  • Like 1

I’m working on the Fujimi kit now and it’s the Gulf Oul version. I’m not really paying too much attention to the details because it’s mostly just a curbside kit. The real challenge is the paint job with the blue over black and the orange center stripe. And, of course the orange stripes to break between the upper and lower colors. It’s just something to get me back on the bench and in the swing of things before I go back to the pocher F40 and transkit. It’s a fun diversion and another friend is also building the Aoshima kit at the same time so we’re comparing notes as we go 

22 hours ago, larchiefeng said:

The real challenge is the paint job with the blue over black and the orange center stripe. And, of course the orange stripes to break between the upper and lower colors.

I saw the real car once at Goodwood. It's actually a very dark brown, not black as shown on the instructions. It changes colour depending on the light and angle you look at it. Also the blue has a very fine metallic pearl finish to it..

18 hours ago, Steve Noble said:

I saw the real car once at Goodwood. It's actually a very dark brown, not black as shown on the instructions. It changes colour depending on the light and angle you look at it. Also the blue has a very fine metallic pearl finish to it..

Thanks for the info!

Ben

Thanks for the info but, it’s a little late now for making any changes. I started adding the decals to the body yesterday. It’s going to be fine though. Like I said earlier, I’m just having some fun with this one and I’m not overly concerned accuracy. This is just something to get back into the swing of things after taking the summer off of my Pocher F-40 build with the Autograph transkit. There’s something like 3000 parts on that build and working on a 1/24 scale smaller kit is good for me to get used to working with the small details and PE throughout the transkit. I’ll post a couple pictures of the GTR body after I get finished with the decals if you guys are interested.