EF-111

Monty Python

Looking to change scale from 1/32 to 1/48 and one of the aircraft I fancy doing is the EF-111 Raven.

What is the Hobby Boss offering like regarding fit and detail? LHS has one in stock.

TIA

Have been doing the same with Soviet and Russian PVO interceptors, as the 1/48 offerings are more numerous and accurate.

The 1/48 Hobby Boss Aardvark/Raven series suffer from some inaccuracies, the worst being the bulging windshield. I'd buy it if I had an old Academy windshield or that Squadron (?) vacform replacement to hand, but otherwise would skip it. The F-111 is very badly served except for the very rare and pricey 1/72 Hasegawa series from ca.1989-199something. Hasegawa should have released that set in 1/48 and we would all have been happy. 

I don't know what other 1/48 aircraft you fancy doing but would recommend the Kinetic Su-33 Sea Flanker, ICM recce Foxbats, Airfix Walrus and Eduard MiG-21s. As for British, I'm waiting for the Tan Model Buccaneer S.2 and Zoukei-Mura F-4K Phantom.

Cheers

Tony (currently building a 1/32 Finnish Fishbed C and 1/32 MiG-29K Sea Fulcrum prototype) 

7 hours ago, Monty Python said:

What is the Hobby Boss offering like regarding fit and detail? LHS has one in stock.

Not my scale, but you might try reading these- can't speak to the accuracy of the reviews. The Spark 'Vark was an awesome jet!

Mike

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=12764

17 hours ago, Sonoran said:

There is no accurate 1/48 F-111 of any kind, sadly.

To be honest, in terms of 'out of box' you could swap F-111 in that sentence for almost any type you care to think of. However, if you're prepared (and are lucky enough to have the ability - I'm not) to combine aftermarket and scratch building you can end up with something as truly unbelievable as this build from the Academy kit...

17 hours ago, Sonoran said:

I’d have to disagree.  There are plenty of OOTB kits that are drop dead gorgeous.  Tamiya F-16, Tamiya F-14, GWH MiG-29, Eduard MiG-21, etc, etc.  

The F-111 is woefully underserved in 1/48.

Fair enough, you're quite right. I guess I was being rather glass half empty about it as I have recently taken an interest in a run of aircraft where I've run up against bad reviews.

The F-111 is badly served with the Academy kit having a pretty faithful shape but practically no detail whatsoever and the Hobby Boss being packed full of detail but with inaccurate shape.

Hobby Boss seem to be the worst for this don't they? I believe their Tornado is terrible, their A-10 was described as freakish, the A-7 has that ridiculous air intake and as mentioned, they messed up the Aardvark. They even got the air intakes slightly wrong on their not too bad Tomcat. And then there's Kitty Hawk with their cocked up Mirage F-1, Jaguar etc.

Trumpet Boss and Kitty Hawk both suffer from the same thing - exceptionally poor research, and kits designed by people who clearly know little or nothing about the real aircraft (or can’t be bothered to learn), and who are not model builders.  I don’t give either one of them my money for most of their products.  Trumpet Boss does an occasional decent kit, but by and large they’re substandard.  I haven’t found one that Kitty Hawk has done that’s worth my money.

• Like 1

The sad thing is that they've released a lot of kits of some interesting subjects in the last few years and they've messed up nearly all of them and it's highly unlikely that we'll see anyone else produce decent renditions now.