1/72 - Dassault Mirage III/5 Nesher/Dagger family by Special Hobby - MIIIC & CJ released

Homebee

1 hour ago, Hook said:

Rudder shape and rivets on the Modelsvit would make me prefer a SH one.

Cheers 

Andre

I recall SH mentioned somewhere on modelforum that 2 seat variants are unlikely at this point. Perhaps after all of the announced 3/5 variants are released...

2 hours ago, Hook said:

Rudder shape and rivets on the Modelsvit would make me prefer a SH one.

What is particularly wrong with rudder shape? I recall clear problems with rudder of MirageIII from RV but looks like Modelsvit did it okay.

3 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

What is particularly wrong with rudder shape? I recall clear problems with rudder of MirageIII from RV but looks like Modelsvit did it okay.

I think he's referring to the first iteration, kit no 72045, which indeed had abovementioned issues. These have been solved in subsequent versions (IIIO, EA, CJ, B).

Jay

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Mountain goat said:

I think he's referring to the first iteration, kit no 72045, which indeed had abovementioned issues. These have been solved in subsequent versions (IIIO, EA, CJ, B).

Thank you! And I assume 72061 (C) is correct as well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, drake122 said:

I recall SH mentioned somewhere on modelforum that 2 seat variants are unlikely at this point. Perhaps after all of the announced 3/5 variants are released...

With all the derivatives there are 128 different versions of the Mirage III/V single seater!

I don't build in 1/72 scale but if Special hobby only releases a third of them it will take a looooong time since they will make a two seater.

Saluti

Giampiero

Edited by GiampieroSilvestri
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

I recall that Modelsvit changed the wing sweep but I'm not sure about the fin & rudder.

Anyway. Several weeks ago I did an overlay of the profiles (posted on a French forulm) from the Modelvsit and Special Hobby instructions. The reason is I believe that the views in the instructions are based on the CAD model. They match well except in three areas:

- fin leading edge sweep

- angle of the windscreen

- height of the intake lip

I've received the SH Friday and overlayed the fin to the Modelsvit part and indeed the SH fin leading edge is more swept (I didn't measure... yet). It's hardly noticeable unless you focus on this area but it seems to confirm my hypothesis. Fin height is different also.  

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Laurent said:

I recall that Modelsvit changed the wing sweep but I'm not sure about the fin & rudder.

Anyway. Several weeks ago I did an overlay of the profiles (posted on a French forulm) from the Modelvsit and Special Hobby instructions. The reason is I believe that the views in the instructions are based on the CAD model. They match well except in three areas:

- fin leading edge sweep

- angle of the windscreen

- height of the intake lip

I've received the SH Friday and overlayed the fin to the Modelsvit part and indeed the SH fin leading edge is more swept (I didn't measure... yet). It's hardly noticeable unless you focus on this area but it seems to confirm my hypothesis. Fin height is different also.  

Is it possible that both is correct?

I mean the two company might mesure different aircafts from different batches or something like this. Based on soviet technics that had some differences dou to different factories and series.

5 minutes ago, Borisz said:

Is it possible that both is correct?

I mean the two company might mesure different aircafts from different batches or something like this. Based on soviet technics that had some differences dou to different factories and series.

I'm no aerospace engineer but I doubt an engineer would mess around airfoils geometry lightly.

I did a quick SH vs MV vs Dassault drawing (Mirage IIIR or RD I don't remember). SH vs Dassault matches, MV vs Dassault doesn't. I'm at work so I can't upload anything.

• Like 6

Two dedicated sets

- ref. Q72401 - Mirage IIIC Wheels

Source: https://www.specialhobby.eu/nase-produkce/mirage-iiic-wheels-1-72-for-special-hobby-kit.html

Q72401-result.jpg

- ref. Q72402 - Mirage IIIC Atar 9B Engine Nozzle

Source: https://www.specialhobby.eu/nase-produkce/mirage-iiic-atar-9b-engine-nozzle-1-72-for-special-hobby-kit.html

Q72402-result.jpg

V.P.

• Like 4

On 07/10/2022 at 12:42, MiG-Mech said:

IIIS Yasss! 😎

My reaction exactly! 😁

The presence of the Falcons and their hardpoints was a dead giveaway. 

For the 5BA, SH seems to be clearly going with the LAU-32 and tanks on the wings, and a couple of Matra SAMP 25 (retarded?) on the centerline. It should not be particularly difficult to get a pair of AIM-9J/P, Mk.82HD Snakeyes or BL755s somewhere else, if you desire a whole different loadout on your Belgian Mirage.

spacer.png

• Like 4

On 11/10/2022 at 17:37, Enzo Matrix said:

Now in stock at the Big H.

Good evening all

Be careful with the pictures of the Mirage clear parts on Hannant's they are not furnished on the IIICJ box ...

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Be careful with the pictures of the Mirage clear parts on Hannant's they are not furnished on the IIICJ box ...

Good point!   I believe that the sprue that is shown covers every transparency requirement for the whole range.  The bottom left section is what is provided in this kit.

11 hours ago, Wez said:

As long as everything is there for me to make an Adl'A Mirage IIIC, I'll be a happy bunny!

11 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I think you'll be a :happy: 🐰.   I certainly am.

Good morning

An Adl'A Mirage IIIC is a Very good idea and I am looking forward for your builds next year in the MB DA GB

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 3

Well, mine arrived today and as @Enzo Matrix predicted, I am a verreee happpeee bunnneee!

I'm mightily impressed with this kit, the surface detail is a great improvement on previous Special Hobby kits, also I pleased I don't have to devote any thought on how to fill the divots on the surface.

A great kit, I shall be buying many more!

• Like 6