1/72 - Dassault Mirage III/5 Nesher/Dagger family by Special Hobby - MIIIC & CJ released

Homebee

We have to be thankful to Modelsvit for that, SH had to up the game, but  seeing pics still find it quite  lacking in detail in most places, all will depend on price, if properly priced will do well...

Edited by Thomas V.
  • Like 2

Judging from the photos I prefer this to the Modelsvit approach, but to each his / her own. 

Rudder shape looks better to my Mk 1 eyeball than on the Modelsvit as well. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

IMHO SH and MV kits are for different markets. It's like comparing the latest Academy F-15E to the GWH kit. One may build one of the later but multiples of the former. SH will have less parts, is expected to be cheaper and no PE that may be daunting for the average modeller.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Hook said:

The comparison between the panel lines of this one and the earlier SH Mirage F.1 are especially enlightening. Impressive progress!

These panel lines look impressive. I can't disagree. Panel lines were IMO an area for improvement with some Special Hobby kits recently so great these folks are receptive of the feedback. 

One thing I did not get about the above kit review - was the box lacking decal sheet and an armament sprue? Is that an omission or just pre-production box provided for review?

Edited by Dennis_C

1 hour ago, Dennis_C said:

One thing I did not get about the above kit review - was the box lacking decal sheet and an armament sprue? Is that an omission or just pre-production box provided for review?

I see multiple fuel tanks, bombs, AIM-9B/D's, Shafrir 1/2's and  a Matra R530. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hook said:

Just the one? ;)

It'll only be one for me. One IIIB, one IIIC, one IIICJ, one IIICZ, one IIIE, one IIIO, one IIIR, one IIIRD, one IIIS  and one IIIRS 😁

• Haha 6

Thanks V.P. for posting the KFS Miniatures link - it's a very comprehensive look at the kit contents.

I'm intrigued by the provision of multiple inlet cones - I see three options, at least two of which accommodate different relative extensions (Sprue B); one pair has the cone driven forward (for in-flight depiction?) and the other pair aft (engine shut down?). Parts C5 & C13 on what I took to be the IIIC-specific sprue are marked not for use at all... curious.

I'm very keen to see this in the plastic and even keenerer for the later variants!

16 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

These panel lines look impressive. I can't disagree. Panel lines were IMO an area for improvement with some Special Hobby kits recently so great these folks are receptive of the feedback. 

Yes, Mr. Riedel, CEO of SH posted in a Czech forum, that this Polish reviewer was given a pre release kit with no weapon sprue to review. Fuel tanks are on different sprue.

• Thanks 1

I wonder if any of the decal manufacturers have any plans for this kit.  I have no doubt that Special Hobby will be releasing a boxing with French markings in due course, but they only usually provide three options.  NMF, desert camouflage and Mirage F1 style blue would cover those, but we still need a wider range.

Avalon have a sheet for camouflaged Israeli options.  Berna have two sheets for NMF French options.  I have all three of these in The Stash, so I'm alright, Jack...   :smartass:  But we still need options; most notably for Argentina and South Africa.

Then of course, there will be further releases for the Mirage IIIE and derivatives as well as the Mirage 5.  There is a huge scope for aftermarket decals.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Robert said:

Hopefully we will see an Australian version as well.

I hope so too.  I don't think there needs to be extra parts for that though.  If one has the correct decals, then a Mirage IIIE kit will suffice.

However...   we are all familiar with the Australian camouflaged scheme, but there were later air defence schemes which also need to be documented.  Like I say.... huge scope!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Robert said:

Hopefully we will see an Australian version as well

Isn't the IIIO outwardly identical to the planned IIIE?

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook

32 minutes ago, Hook said:

Isn't the IIIO outwardly identical to the planned IIIE?

Cheers,

Andre

Yes, but without the Doppler radar.

The IIIE based airframes offer so much more in the way of markings, I'm disappointed it's not the initial release but I'm so pleased with what I see in this kit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wez said:

Yes, but without the Doppler radar.

Not all IIIE's had the bulge - on the Heller kit it's a seperate part, I'd expect SH to follow suit.

8 hours ago, Wez said:

The IIIE based airframes offer so much more in the way of markings, I'm disappointed it's not the initial release

Basic marketing.

Cheers,

Andre

1 hour ago, Hook said:

Not all IIIE's had the bulge - on the Heller kit it's a seperate part, I'd expect SH to follow suit.

AFAIK Heller has made the bulge optional to offer the R and 5BA options. All operational Es had the Doppler bulge.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Laurent said:

AFAIK Heller has made the bulge optional to offer the R and 5BA options. All operational Es had the Doppler bulge.

Pakistans IIIEA's and Lebanons IIIEI's did not have them, to mention a few.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Laurent said:

3 hours ago, Hook said:

Pakistans IIIEA's and Lebanons IIIEI's did not have them, to mention a few.

Cheers,

Andre

The IIIE is specific to the Adl'A and had the Doppler fairings, IIIEA and IIIEI, whilst based on IIIE airframes, do not feature the Doppler fairing as they're different models.  I suspect that's what Laurent was driving at.

38 minutes ago, Wez said:

The IIIE is specific to the Adl'A and had the Doppler fairings, IIIEA and IIIEI, whilst based on IIIE airframes, do not feature the Doppler fairing as they're different models.  I suspect that's what Laurent was driving at.

Brrr, Gash...! :D