1/72 - Dassault Mirage III/5 Nesher/Dagger family by Special Hobby - MIIIC & CJ released

Homebee

On 3/4/2023 at 4:07 PM, Mountain goat said:

Wait, is this boxing confirmed to be the IIIE? Both the FAA and SAAF flew the IIIC as well. Having waited for other subjects in the past, something tells me Special Hobby will bring out IIIC subvariants in different markings first, before moving on to the longer fuselage variants. I suspect maybe he misspoke and it's the IIIC after all. No complaints though!

"Ne pas mErcher"

Oops

Jay

Indeed, confirmed today by Mr. Riedel on modelforum, it will still be a IIIC... 😒

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, drake122 said:

Indeed, confirmed today by Mr. Riedel on modelforum, it will still be a IIIC... 😒

Oh well. Let's hope out patience will be rewarded. In the meantime we'll get a IIICZ which is nice. 

Jay

20 minutes ago, Mountain goat said:

In the meantime we'll get a IIICZ which is nice.

Indeed.  I'll still buy it for the CZ option and hopefully Special Hobby will see that if people are still buying the IIIC, there must be a huge market for the IIIE.

54 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Indeed.  I'll still buy it for the CZ option and hopefully Special Hobby will see that if people are still buying the IIIC, there must be a huge market for the IIIE.

Well, surprisingly, Mr. Riedel also responded to my question regarding the IIIE, saying it should be 'this fall'. Altough I can't tell if he is being sarcastic or not, since I couldn't miss the opportunity in my previous post there to take a jab at their decals now being done by Eduard...🤣

• Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Dassault Mirage III/5 Nesher/Dagger family by Special Hobby - MIIIC & CJ released
  • 4 weeks later...

They arrived - nice package, but it's a bit peevish of SH to omit some parts shown as not for use on the new French weapons sprue (#G18/19), now it looks like you end up with some incomplete weapons.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hook said:

it's a bit peevish of SH to omit some parts shown as not for use on the new French weapons sprue (#G18/19), now it looks like you end up with some incomplete weapons.

Did the French ever use the IIIC in the ground attack role?  The Israelis did, but it wasn't very effective.

7 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Did the French ever use the IIIC in the ground attack role?  The Israelis did, but it wasn't very effective.

Not to my knowledge, that started from the E for the French.  

From all accounts the Mirage IIICJ's were pretty efficient in the A2G role during Operation Moked.

Still, snipping a few parts from a weapons sprue is even for me as a Dutchman a tad on the frugal side.  ;) 

Cheers.

Andre

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Hook said:

Still, snipping a few parts from a weapons sprue is even for me as a Dutchman a tad on the frugal side.  ;)

It does seem a bit odd.  Can the snipped plastic be re-ued?  If not, then it is poinless as it is already a sunken cost.  Why pay someone to stand on the line and snip the parts off?  If it can be re-used I imagine the savings are minimal, especially when there is the aformentioned cost of having an extra person on the line.

• Like 1

Did they actually physically remove parts from a sprue? Or are they just marked as not used in the directions? Because the sprue shots on SH webshop show all sprues complete (as in nothing snipped off) as far as I can see. Could it be that this particular customer who mentioned pieces missing just got faulty product, or the parts were stolen, etc.?

1 hour ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

It does seem a bit odd.  Can the snipped plastic be re-ued?  If not, then it is poinless as it is already a sunken cost.  Why pay someone to stand on the line and snip the parts off?  If it can be re-used I imagine the savings are minimal, especially when there is the aformentioned cost of having an extra person on the line.

I seem to remember Sword did similar with their Lightnings. Snipped off the witches hat fin and rudder in the F3 and T5 boxing and vice versa for the F1A/F2 an T4. Seems a pointless exercise to me.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, drake122 said:

Did they actually physically remove parts from a sprue? Or are they just marked as not used in the directions?

Both. ;)

All three of mine have pts #G18/19 removed from the runner. These look like the front ends of the combined fuel / rocket pods.

Even weirder, the seperate runner with the ATAR 9C nozzle and fairing, and vertical tail with RWR is present, even though it is absent in the parts layout.

Go figure.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Well, perhaps the nephew of the CEO needed a job - any job.  ;)

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Hook said:

Well, perhaps the nephew of the CEO needed a job - any job.  ;)

Cheers,

Andre

I couldn't help it and asked the SH CEO on modelforum, waiting for response now. I think manually removing parts from the sprue this way is a very... "peasant" move. 😱

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

It might be intended to force buyers to buy other versions that they market?

True enough.  But just putting "Mirage" on the box lid is gonna do that for me. :D 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I'm glad I'm off that particular carousel. I AM buying all of the books and all of the CDs though, just to make up for not buying all of the kits. :shrug:

I'm not reading or listening to them of course - I have them hidden in the attic and the shed but one day, one day...

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I'm not reading or listening to them of course - I have them hidden in the attic and the shed but one day, one day...

Hi Bertie

Don't forget where you hid them in the attic the day you decide to move away the new owner might not be interested ...

Patrice

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Hi Enzo

I don't think that the Armée de l'Air ever used the IIIC in the Air To Ground Role with the exception of the aircraft deployed in Djibouti in the 70's with the Escadron de Chasse  3/10 Vexin ....

Best regards

Patrice

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Hi Enzo

I don't think that the Armée de l'Air ever used the IIIC in the Air To Ground Role with the exception of the aircraft deployed in Djibouti in the 70's with the Escadron de Chasse  3/10 Vexin ....

Weren't these A2A only? They were even modded to be able to employ the Magic AAM. 

EDIT: EC 2/10 flew 500 and 1000 lb bombs from their C's from April '73, according to WAPJ Vol. 16, p. 104.

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Hook said:

Weren't these A2A only? They were even modded to be able to employ the Magic AAM. 

EDIT: EC 2/10 flew 500 and 1000 lb bombs from their C's from April '73, according to WAPJ Vol. 16, p. 104.

Cheers,

Andre

Good morning André

You are right but I think that only the Mirage IIIC deployed to Djibouti where modified to carry these missiles and bombs ..

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 1