1/72 - Dassault Mirage III/5 Nesher/Dagger family by Special Hobby - MIIIC & CJ released

Homebee

On 4/30/2020 at 9:33 PM, Thomas V. said:

All fine, seems that tooling has not " been cut ", just one thing(panel lines-panel lines-panel lines) they need to be far better, surface details and finesse of mentioned is key if they

(SH) want to have competitive and long lasting product.

Having just picked up their 1/48th Re.2000, the panel lines are finer than what I've seen on their previous modern tooling like the Mirage F.1 and P-40. I wouldn't want them any finer and if this kit is the same it will look great.

• Like 1

Re.2000 is a mixed tooling, comprised of fuselage+wings that are short run and smaller details that are tooled differently.

SH short run technology has very fine panel lines and in some kits like VL Myrsky they are exquisite, with some of the best surface detail in 72nd scale.

Mentioned is short run tech, with D.H.Vampire they switched to more mainstream toolings, and they produce few new toolings yearly as complete " full run " kits.

Of those some are good, some bad ( Vampire ) most mediocre, almost all due to quite heavy panelling.

But even among them there is fair share of differences, P-40E has quite heavy panel lines especially on wings, on P-40K, although retaining previous wings,

fuselage surface details are restrained and show that SH can do it, same goes for Do 27 ( again fuselage).

Taking before mentioned into account, and finesse of surface detailing in Modelsvit kits, if they want long term profitability, Mirage III kits better be more

like  details found on P-40K fuselage.

Edited by Thomas V.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Thomas V. said:

Re.2000 is a mixed tooling, comprised of fuselage+wings that are short run and smaller details that are tooled differently.

SH short run technology has very fine panel lines and in some kits like VL Myrsky they are exquisite, with some of the best surface detail in 72nd scale.

Mentioned is short run tech, with D.H.Vampire they switched to more mainstream toolings, and they produce few new toolings yearly as complete " full run " kits.

Of those some are good, some bad ( Vampire ) most mediocre, almost all due to quite heavy panelling.

But even among them there are fair share of differences, P-40E has quite heavy panel lines especially on wings, on P-40K, although retaining previous wings,

fuselage surface details are restrained and show that SH can do it, same goes for Do 27 ( again fuselage).

Taking before mentioned into account, and finesse of surface detailing in Modelsvit kits, if they want long term profitability, Mirage III kits better be more

like  details found on P-40K fuselage.

Okay I wasn't aware of that, though the Re.2000 does remind me if their older short run kits in the fuselage and wings - more flash and no locator pins. So I guess that means a non-steel mold? Fingers crossed for the Mirage III Quality.

4 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Fingers crossed for the Mirage III Quality.

You could check reviews of SH's Mirage F.1 and Super Mystères, that would give you a ballpark idea.

Cheers,

Andre

3 hours ago, Hook said:

You could check reviews of SH's Mirage F.1 and Super Mystères, that would give you a ballpark idea.

Cheers,

Andre

I've got the Mirage F.1, but not the Mystere, but when I saw it at Telford, if the panel lines are the that quality then that's all good by me.

The Super Mystère's to my mind are an improvement over the Mirage F.1's which I was pretty pleased with.  I'm quite hopeful for the forthcoming Mirage III/5.

• Like 1

Modelsvit will also have its own Mirage III C, this was announced today by their representative at the Russian forum in topic about choice Mirage III kit.  

What was in this topic on the previous page

about the manufacture  wars? 😉😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

I'm another who doesn't really believe that this kit and the Modelsvit offering will compete much as they are clearly aimed at different markets. The Modelsvit kit is sure a better kit from many points of view but will also be more expensive if SH will issue this kit at prices comparable to their Mirage F.1. More money for more and better detail from Modelsvit or less money for what will hopefully be a decent enough representation from SH. What I see here is a win-win situation for most modellers, where the ones who don't mind spending some extra cash and doing some more work will enjoy the great detail of the Modelsvit kit while those who prefer to spend less or are no interested in top details will go for SH.

Personally I can see myself spending the money for one of the Modelsvit kits but I would hardly buy multiples at that price point: the cheapest price I've found for this was around £25 while the cheapest I can get the SH F-1 is around £16. And the latter, even if it's not as nicely moulded as other kits, is still better than the rest of the competition

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

I'm another who doesn't really believe that this kit and the Modelsvit offering will compete much as they are clearly aimed at different markets. The Modelsvit kit is sure a better kit from many points of view but will also be more expensive if SH will issue this kit at prices comparable to their Mirage F.1. More money for more and better detail from Modelsvit or less money for what will hopefully be a decent enough representation from SH. What I see here is a win-win situation for most modellers, where the ones who don't mind spending some extra cash and doing some more work will enjoy the great detail of the Modelsvit kit while those who prefer to spend less or are no interested in top details will go for SH.

Personally I can see myself spending the money for one of the Modelsvit kits but I would hardly buy multiples at that price point: the cheapest price I've found for this was around £25 while the cheapest I can get the SH F-1 is around £16. And the latter, even if it's not as nicely moulded as other kits, is still better than the rest of the competition

Good point. The SH kit will be great if you want to build loads in different schemes or if you want to build every version of the III/V.

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

I agree completely. I will buy multiple SH kits of perhaps most versions but one each of Modelsvit - to head up the flight line as it were.

Jay

I see, some modeller's as general's also preparing for past wars!😉😁

The current economic instability does not guarantee the stability of the currency for some countries, i.e.  we can talk about significant devaluations of these currencies. Which is relatively beneficial for exporters, which are model manufacturers, since it can reduce some of their costs and, accordingly, lower the price at which they offer models to stores. Will or will hobby shops not lower the price in such conditions?  I think they will, because in future conditions of falling purchasing power, they will be interested in quick sales and not on the fact that the goods are on the shelf.

Thus, we come to the question: "What will you's do if in your hobby shop the Mirage IIIC from Modelsvit or SH will cost the same or have a slight difference in price?"

😉😁

B.w. in my local hobby shop, product prices SH and Modelsvit are almost equal....yes until their assortment intersects, but it is, until the Mirage's appear.

Of course, this is only my forecast, and half a year ago I was sure that prices would only rise, but half a year ago I had no idea about any viruses and everything that would follow them ....

B.R.

Serge

4 hours ago, Aardvark said:

Thus, we come to the question: "What will you's do if in your hobby shop the Mirage IIIC from Modelsvit or SH will cost the same or have a slight difference in price?"

😉😁

B.w. in my local hobby shop, product prices SH and Modelsvit are almost equal....yes until their assortment intersects, but it is, until the Mirage's appear.

Of course, this is only my forecast, and half a year ago I was sure that prices would only rise, but half a year ago I had no idea about any viruses and everything that would follow them ....

B.R.

Serge

Well if they are both accurate and if it was a larger scale I would be more worried about detail, so then for me it really comes down to which is then the easiest build. 

1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

Well if they are both accurate and if it was a larger scale I would be more worried about detail, so then for me it really comes down to which is then easiest build. 

This one point view, but there is also an opposite point of view when it takes to buy something that is more detailed.  In addition, I think that errors will be in any of the sets.

Therefore I personally will be waiting compared

reviews when both models appear on hobby shop.

B.R.

Serge 

• 6 months later...

All gone a bit quiet on the Mirage family??

I'm sure they will turn up at some point, but does anyone know anything about possible release dates?

Also, do we think there is any chance of a two seat 'IIIB?

Just asking because the Modelsvit 1/72 kits are out and available, and I'm thinking about biting the bullet and getting a couple.

Cheers.

27 minutes ago, Smudge said:

All gone a bit quiet on the Mirage family??

I'm sure they will turn up at some point, but does anyone know anything about possible release dates?

Also, do we think there is any chance of a two seat 'IIIB?

Just asking because the Modelsvit 1/72 kits are out and available, and I'm thinking about biting the bullet and getting a couple.

Cheers.

I hope there will be a IIIB as they said they were doing the entire Mirage III/V family.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 2:01 PM, Tbolt said:

I hope there will be a IIIB as they said they were doing the entire Mirage III/V family.

That makes two of us!

• Like 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Dassault Mirage III/5 Nesher/Dagger family by Special Hobby - 3D renders+sprues design - release in 2021
  • 1 month later...
On 5/4/2020 at 6:43 PM, Tbolt said:

I've got the Mirage F.1, but not the Mystere, but when I saw it at Telford, if the panel lines are the that quality then that's all good by me.

The SMB2 is superb! If the Mirage IIIs are to the same standard we are in for a treat :)

• Like 2

On 11/28/2020 at 11:50 AM, Hook said:

Three!, at least.

And don't forget the IIID twoseaters, in addition to the IIIB!

Cheers,

Andre

That’ll be what I’m looking out for :)

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The Big H now have this kit in their future releases section.  And it's a tenner cheaper than the Modelsvit offering. 

I've pre-ordered one.  If I'm honest, I'm a bit disappointed it's the IIIC first, it's always the chuffing IIIC!

I know the IIIC was used in combat by both Israel and South Africa but the IIIE and 5 based versions also saw combat and offer many more varied colour schemes and thus potential sales however, SH have promised these versions in the future so I guess I'll have to be patient...   ...not something I'm known for!

To those banging on about the Modelsvit kit, I can buy two SH kits for slightly more than the price of one Modelsvit and as I want to do a bucket load of Mirages buying the SH kit in preference is a no-brainer for me, providing it's to the same quality as the SMB2, Meteor and SF.260.  I have the Modelsvit IIIB, it looks a nice in the box and I plan to build it for the French Fancy 2 GB but, it is expensive which prohibits buying more and it features the habit of depicting rivets as divots, subtle ones admittedly but they're not there on the real aircraft (the friction drag would be horrendous)!  I dislike these intently and they'll have to go (a matter I've been giving considerable thought to).

I'm looking forward to this kit and I will be getting more IIIC's!

• Like 1