1/72 - Dassault Mirage III/5 Nesher/Dagger family by Special Hobby - MIIIC & CJ released

Homebee

14 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

The only zone is we need upgraded Ouragan (Heller is still considered best in town)

Better than the Valom? I have one in the stash and it doesn't look half bad in the box.

Cheers,

Andre

10 hours ago, Hook said:

Better than the Valom? I have one in the stash and it doesn't look half bad in the box.

Cheers,

Andre

I personally have not measured this, but fellow modellers say geometrically Valom is losing to Heller (again I personally have not measured and I rarely care much about couple mm). And more importantly raised panel lines are easier to remove and rescribe than Valom's riveting. And actually Heller did pretty nice raised panels many can live with okay. I personally hate heavy rivets as this is hard to save it during construction, difficult to reapply matching manufacturer's style, and overall small rivets should not be seen much in 1/72 especially on painted camouflaged aircraft.

Edited by Dennis_C

2 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

I personally have not measured this, but fellow modellers say geometrically Valom is losing to Heller

I have both and no see geometry differences, maybe am I looking bad?  Then can "some modelers" tell me where to look?  Then I’ll take a look, and even take a photo of such a viewing but in a different topic, because it will certainly not be about the Mirage.  

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

As for me, Valom is made at the Heller base, where does the difference come from?

11 hours ago, Aardvark said:

I have both and no see geometry differences, maybe am I looking bad?  Then can "some modelers" tell me where to look?  Then I’ll take a look, and even take a photo of such a viewing but in a different topic, because it will certainly not be about the Mirage.  

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

As for me, Valom is made at the Heller base, where does the difference come from?

Dear friend, 

After consultation with fellow modeller I recognise my memory is not as good any more and Valom is indeed equal to Heller geometrically. So major issue is some smaller inaccuracies with panel lines and very elaborated riveting. 

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dennis_C said:

So major issue is some smaller inaccuracies with panel lines and very elaborated riveting. 

Absolutely correct!

I say more - some  riveting line asymmetric! Also have poor assembling gun port detail with fuselage, this problem Heller have too, but with Heller not so insulting because he doesn't have riveting.

But what all want from hand made master-model manufacturing???

In mass production this technology lives last days, future on 3-d models and subject this topic Mirage III C from SH

vivid confirmation of this!

B.R.

Serge

37 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

In mass production this technology lives last days, future on 3-d models

Maybe, but not a near future.

Maybe someone also thought that when the first resin figures were produced. And nevertheless neither the market of airplanes or tanks is mainly of resin nor is it in the market of figures. There are still many figures in metal and even more and more in plastic with almost the same quality in the details.
The quality of 3D printing is not as good as with injected plastic. They would have to improve a lot in the reproduction of small details, and they would have to find a type of material that works as comfortably as plastic.
That future may come, but if it arrives it will do so in quite some time.

Regards.

Andrés.

7 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

Maybe, but not a near future.

Maybe someone also thought that when the first resin figures were produced. And nevertheless neither the market of airplanes or tanks is mainly of resin nor is it in the market of figures. There are still many figures in metal and even more and more in plastic with almost the same quality in the details.
The quality of 3D printing is not as good as with injected plastic. They would have to improve a lot in the reproduction of small details, and they would have to find a type of material that works as comfortably as plastic.
That future may come, but if it arrives it will do so in quite some time.

First off all I don't talk about figures.

I talk about mass manufacturing big company and medium/little  company.  Most companies now project their models by designing them on a computer, and not like before when a person made the master model. In Valom case You see old hand made technology in case Special Hobby You see new technology 3-d modeling.

Only that and that obviously.

B.R.

Serge 

• 4 months later...

Will this series ever see  the light of day? The CAD illustrations are stunning.

Seems like these much wanted kits would/could/should be a huge money maker for Special Hobby.

Gene K

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gene K said:

Will this series ever see  the light of day? The CAD illustrations are stunning.

Seems like these much wanted kits would/could/should be a huge money maker for Special Hobby.

Gene K

Good morning Gene

Sometimes ago I asked Petr about this kit and here is his answer ''The Mirage family is taking shape, slowly but steadily and no worries, we will share some news when have them.''

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235045158-breaking-ultimate-mirage-iii-5-family-in-72nd/

Patrice

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mountain goat said:

Wow, they announced this series in September 2018. How time flies!! I could've sworn it was last years' news.

But I don't see the Mirages arriving this year TBH

Jay

That may well be the case, especially given the wholesale disruption caused by Covid 19. But I can afford to wait a while more. As long as the prices are not extortionate, I'll be getting a whole slew of them. The only Mirage III/5 kits I've ever build are from Airfix, Matchbox, Heller and Revell. In fact, I'm building the Airfix kit again for a GB. Once that's complete, I'll have none left in the stash, other than the Tamiya 1/100 IIIC. All of this is another way of saying that I really like the Mirage III/5, but I want some state of the art full-run kits ... sometime.

• Like 1

Although Modelsvit Mirages are short run, and put up some fight during the build, none the less they set quality bar quite high for late III's, current mainstream SH tooling is still far behind

quality of detail in Modelsvit kits, they should take all the time they need and try to surpass Modelsvit.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

Although Modelsvit Mirages are short run, and put up some fight during the build, none the less they set quality bar quite high for late III's, current mainstream SH tooling is still far behind

quality of detail in Modelsvit kits, they should take all the time they need and try to surpass Modelsvit.

I disagree. It may seem the producers are engaged in an arms race and if it's the case I don't like the idea. For me the SH kit shouldn't seek to compete with Modelsvit. The Modelsvit kit is too sophisticated, it's an "über kit". I'd like a more mainstream kit so that I can build N Mirage kits that build easily.

Edited by Laurent
  • Like 4

On 4/23/2020 at 3:38 PM, Laurent said:

It may seem the producers are engaged in an arms race

engaged, engaged...is so busy that some manufacturers do not even voice their promising plans for fear that competitors will do it faster than they do!  As a result, we learn about some models in fact when they appear in the hobby shop or close to hobby shop!

😁

On 4/23/2020 at 3:38 PM, Laurent said:

The Modelsvit kit is too sophisticated, it's an "über kit".

All* Modelsvit (and also their structural units)

models for experience modeller, one who thinks differently is very mistaken.

B.R. 

Serge

* - based on my available: Mirage IIIE/III-V/4000, Ye-2A/5/150(both edition)/152A/152M, I-320, HA-300, VJ-101, MiG-21F, Su-7/BM/IG, S-32, Su-17M/M3, Yak-140, M-17.

1 hour ago, Aardvark said:

engaged, engaged...is so busy that some manufacturers do not even voice their promising plans for fear that competitors will do it faster than they do!  As a result, we learn about some models in fact when they appear in the hobby shop or close to hobby shop!

😁

I'm not sure fear is the reason. Frankly I'm happy without early announcements. No hype but no expectations and no disappointment. Kit released, take it or leave it.

• Like 2

I know it was supposed to be the complete family but to be honest I didn't expect every version but Special Hobby have confirmed the entire III/V family. As long as there's an RS I'll be happy though I'm sure I'll buy a few more.

10 hours ago, Laurent said:

Elevons moulded on the wings like on the Modelsvit kit. Still I'm happy that there's some progress !

Even Tamiya don't give us separate elevators on there 1/48 scale kits, it would be nice if manufacturers got into the habit of doing this.

All fine, seems that tooling has not " been cut ", just one thing(panel lines-panel lines-panel lines) they need to be far better, surface details and finesse of mentioned is key if they

(SH) want to have competitive and long lasting product.

10 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

All fine, seems that tooling has not " been cut ", just one thing(panel lines-panel lines-panel lines) they need to be far better, surface details and finesse of mentioned is key if they

Looking at their Mirage F.1 and Super Mystère kits, I'm not worried.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

16 minutes ago, Hook said:

Looking at their Mirage F.1 and Super Mystère kits, I'm not worried.

Cheers,

Andre

Likewise Andre, I'm not worried either.