1/72 - Dassault Mirage III/5 Nesher/Dagger family by Special Hobby - MIIIC & CJ released

Homebee

9 hours ago, Claudio Moura said:

One point to remember is that some versions of IIIE did not have the Doppler radar under nose, like Argentinean version (Malvinas). I hope that SH do it in separated parts... the Modelsvit kit have the Doppler injected together.

Regards to all,

Claudio

Good point Claudio, the old Heller kit included it as a separate part.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Claudio Moura said:

One point to remember is that some versions of IIIE did not have the Doppler radar under nose, like Argentinean version (Malvinas). I hope that SH do it in separated parts... the Modelsvit kit have the Doppler injected together.

The logical thing would be to opt as a PJ Production for an independent piece and place it if the Air Force we chose had it.
In any case, if it were not so, I don't think it would be very difficult to remove the bulge.

I am looking forward to being released but I fear that they will not do so until mid-2020. I have not seen any new news about him.

Andrés.

On 11/2/2019 at 9:54 AM, Andrés S. said:

The logical thing would be to opt as a PJ Production for an independent piece and place it if the Air Force we chose had it.
In any case, if it were not so, I don't think it would be very difficult to remove the bulge.

I am looking forward to being released but I fear that they will not do so until mid-2020. I have not seen any new news about him.

Andrés.

I would not want to have to remove this bulge in a kit like this. It is a job that could be spared, especially as a new technology kit that would not be difficult to bring this part apart. I´m thinking the same that you... maybe middle 2020.... 😞

Regards,

Claudio

On 11/2/2019 at 7:34 AM, Wez said:

Good point Claudio, the old Heller kit included it as a separate part.

I hope that the SH think this...

10 hours ago, Claudio Moura said:

I would not want to have to remove this bulge in a kit like this. It is a job that could be spared, especially as a new technology kit that would not be difficult to bring this part apart.

With SH's track record, I would be very, * very * much suprised if the doppler fairing is not a seperate part.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Any news on this?? I've just bought a couple of Mig21 MF by Eduard and can't wait to have them built, but everytime i buy a MIG 21, i feel the need to add another Mirage III.

I've built a couple of RV Aircraft Mirage III one Israeli CJ version and one Venezuelan E version. Bought another RV Aircraft Mirage III to build a Venezuelan Mirage 50 EV but i'd rather wait for the Special Hobby one. If it's as good as their Mirage F1 i'll buy many of those.

Also i bought last week a Dagger by PM Model but it was truly awful and returned it to the store... so i really want a Nesher/Dagger/Finger, as the only argentine Mirage III i have is a Heller... and yeah... don't like the Heller kit much...

7 minutes ago, Ed Torn said:

Any news on this?? I've just bought a couple of Mig21 MF by Eduard and can't wait to have them built, but everytime i buy a MIG 21, i feel the need to add another Mirage III.

I've built a couple of RV Aircraft Mirage III one Israeli CJ version and one Venezuelan E version. Bought another RV Aircraft Mirage III to build a Venezuelan Mirage 50 EV but i'd rather wait for the Special Hobby one. If it's as good as their Mirage F1 i'll buy many of those.

Also i bought last week a Dagger by PM Model but it was truly awful and returned it to the store... so i really want a Nesher/Dagger/Finger, as the only argentine Mirage III i have is a Heller... and yeah... don't like the Heller kit much...

Hi Ed Torn.

My opinion regarding the news about Special Hobby releases is that it will not be available until mid-2020. I wish I was wrong.

A while ago I built a Special Hobby F.1 and it really isn't as good a kit as many people think. It is not a bad kit but it is far from being the final F.1 at 1/72. I think your Mirage III will be something similar.

If you want a good Mirage III kit, have you looked at PJ Production or Modelsvit? I have both and I consider them quite good.

Regards.

Andrés.

59 minutes ago, Ed Torn said:

Also i bought last week a Dagger by PM Model but it was truly awful and returned it to the store...

In fact, this model shop must pay money to those who take the Dagger by PM!!!

😁😁

50 minutes ago, Andrés S. said:

A while ago I built a Special Hobby F.1 and it really isn't as good a kit as many people think.

What's wrong with him?

B.R.

Serge

24 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

What's wrong with him?

What is wrong in a kit is relative, very subjective.

Some people think that a kit is bad because it is 2 mm longer, or because the angle of the leading edge of the wing is 34 ° when it should be 32 °. It is just an example, I do not know if in these or other parameters the forms are totally accurate.
For me that is unimportant and in this sense I consider it correct.

For me, the finesse in the reproduction of the pieces is more important. The main landing gear is a plastic block. Panel lines are not as thin as I would like (Eduard's style would be perfect). Showing the rivets at 1/72 I do not think it necessary but yes the screws that often go parallel to main panel lines, or in component access panels. Coincidentally I have an F.1M in a roundabout of a road near where I live and I assure you that certain screws are more visible than many think.

I repeat that it is not a bad kit, but for me it is quite far from being a very good kit. Eduard or Tamiya I think they would have done a much better job.

But despite all the F.1 of Special Hobby 1/72 is the best available today. It is possible for someone to consider Hasegawa's F.1, even with embossed panel lines but I don't share that opinion.

Regards.

Andrés.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

A while ago I built a Special Hobby F.1 and it really isn't as good a kit as many people think. It is not a bad kit but it is far from being the final F.1 at 1/72. I think your Mirage III will be something similar.

Every kit needs some amount of rework to make it more realistic. Some kits are close but I've never seen a flawless 1/72 kit (could be I've been looking in all the wrong places).

But if one finds the Special Hobby F.1 a little more demanding than others it's probably because this was one of Special Hobby's first steel mould projects. Moreover the moulds had to be reworked after serious fit issues were found during testing thus delaying the introduction of the product by (from the top of my head) almost two years. Some fit and accuracy issues still remain with the kit but as Special Hobby had a steep learning curve with this project, I think the result is most impressive. However to imply they haven't been improving after the F.1 is to sell them short. Every new kit shows improvements over the last. Look at the Viggen for instance - not perfect, but man it is a really nice. Thus I think we can safely expect a good Mirage III/5 from them.

Jay

PS: I have no idea when the Mirage III/5 will hit the shelves, but I do not mind waiting.

Edited by Mountain goat
PS
  • Like 3

I agree with you Mountain goat.

Certainly all kits can and should be worked to improve. Absolute perfection does not exist in any aspect of life.
Maybe I haven't expressed myself well.
Given the above, and that everything is improvable, I think the final kit of P-47 1/72 is Tamiya. The definitive kit of Hellcat is that of Eduard. The definitive Spitfire IX Eduard kit too.
What I mean by "definitive" is that the quality of the adjustment of the pieces, the quality of reproduction of the detail, the smoothness of the surfaces, the sharpness and depth of the panel lines are so great.
These are the factors, to which I give importance, to consider a very good kit.

I have the Viggen and it's certainly not a bad kit, it's very nice. But the sharpness in the details that Eduard, Tamiya and other manufacturers have in their most recent models are enviable. Revell has also reproduced very well what was mentioned in his RF-4E/F-4F Phantom or in the NH-90 helicopter. That kind of detail and quality of reproduction is what I mean.

In saying that it is not the definitive F.1 I did not mean that it is a bad kit. In fact, I repeat, it is the best there is.

Regards.

Edited by Andrés S.

5 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

Hi Ed Torn.

My opinion regarding the news about Special Hobby releases is that it will not be available until mid-2020. I wish I was wrong.

If you want a good Mirage III kit, have you looked at PJ Production or Modelsvit? I have both and I consider them quite good.

Regards.

Andrés.

The Mirage F1 by Special Hobby is good enough for me, i built it in Spain's livery ( i live in Seville) i also bought another one to built it as a moroccan  F1, but since i will build an Angolan MIG 21, i need south african air force decals.

I wanted the Modelsvit Mirage III but the only place i can find it it's on eBay and it's around 40 euros including shipping.

For that price i could buy 2 Mirage III by Special Hobby and it would be great because i'd like to build several Mirage III in various air forces schemes

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aardvark said:

In fact, this model shop must pay money to those who take the Dagger by PM!!!

😁😁

B.R.

Serge

That PM Model kit is AWFUL. On one hand i think i should have kept it only for the decals, but at 9 euros, only for the south african air force decals... no thanks. It's easily the worst kit i have ever seen. The kits by Mistercraft are amazing compared to that 

20 minutes ago, Ed Torn said:

It's easily the worst kit i have ever seen. 

Have you seem the PM F-5 kit, then..?

Believe it or not, it's even worse. The cutout in the lower fuselage where the wing is supposed to go, does not even match the shape of the wing..!

Cheers,

Andre

3 minutes ago, Hook said:

Have you seem the PM F-5 kit, then..?

Believe it or not, it's even worse. The cutout in the lower fuselage where the wing is supposed to go, does not even match the shape of the wing..!

Cheers,

Andre

They had it in the store as well, i thought about buying it too, but after seeing how horrible the mirage kit is... no thanks. And they sell them for 9 euros... 

29 minutes ago, Ed Torn said:

The Mirage F1 by Special Hobby is good enough for me, i built it in Spain's livery ( i live in Seville) i also bought another one to built it as a moroccan  F1, but since i will build an Angolan MIG 21, i need south african air force decals.

I wanted the Modelsvit Mirage III but the only place i can find it it's on eBay and it's around 40 euros including shipping.

For that price i could buy 2 Mirage III by Special Hobby and it would be great because i'd like to build several Mirage III in various air forces schemes

Ah, lucky men. Then you have close to the Eurofigther of the Morón Air Base. Maybe you could have seen them one day flying over Sevilla. Beautiful city. Although I live in Valencia, I was born in Córdoba.

Well, F.1 of SH is good enough. In fact I want to start in a short time the other kit that I have to do it with the tricolor scheme that the Spaniards call "lizard". A decoration complicated by the right colors.

Returning to Mirage III. Each modeler has expectations and tastes. I have the PJ Productions III and the Modelsvit III and they certainly have a higher price than the Special Hobby will possibly launch. But I don't usually make the same plane several times. If I'm going to do it with F.1 it's something special.
In your case it is understandable that the Special Hobby adapts better to your expectations.

Regards.

Andrés.

3 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

I have no idea when the Mirage III/5 will hit the shelves, but I do not mind waiting.

I'm with you on this Jay, SH's kits continue to go from strength to strength, their Super Mystère is lovely and the parts of it I've assembled thus far go together well with far less fettling than the Mirage F.1.

I'll wait for their Mirage III/5 series because amongst other things, it won't be covered in those awful divots people like to call rivets.

I want to make lots of Mirages, this is the one for me (I really hope).

3 minutes ago, Andrés S. said:

Ah, lucky men. Then you have close to the Eurofigther of the Morón Air Base. Maybe you could have seen them one day flying over Sevilla. Beautiful city. Although I live in Valencia, I was born in Córdoba.

Well, F.1 of SH is good enough. In fact I want to start in a short time the other kit that I have to do it with the tricolor scheme that the Spaniards call "lizard". A decoration complicated by the right colors.

Returning to Mirage III. Each modeler has expectations and tastes. I have the PJ Productions III and the Modelsvit III and they certainly have a higher price than the Special Hobby will possibly launch. But I don't usually make the same plane several times. If I'm going to do it with F.1 it's something special.
In your case it is understandable that the Special Hobby adapts better to your expectations.

Regards.

Andrés.

oh yes, you can see Eurofighters flying over the city from time to time, last time i think it was like a month ago or so. I like building several kits of they have many operator nations, like Mig 29, Sukhoi SU-27, Su -30, Mirage III, Mig 21, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrés S. said:

I agree with you Mountain goat.

Certainly all kits can and should be worked to improve. Absolute perfection does not exist in any aspect of life.
Maybe I haven't expressed myself well.
Given the above, and that everything is improvable, I think the final kit of P-47 1/72 is Tamiya. The definitive kit of Hellcat is that of Eduard. The definitive Spitfire IX Eduard kit too.
What I mean by "definitive" is that the quality of the adjustment of the pieces, the quality of reproduction of the detail, the smoothness of the surfaces, the sharpness and depth of the panel lines are so great.
These are the factors, to which I give importance, to consider a very good kit.

I have the Viggen and it's certainly not a bad kit, it's very nice. But the sharpness in the details that Eduard, Tamiya and other manufacturers have in their most recent models are enviable. Revell has also reproduced very well what was mentioned in his RF-4E/F-4F Phantom or in the NH-90 helicopter. That kind of detail and quality of reproduction is what I mean.

In saying that it is not the definitive F.1 I did not mean that it is a bad kit. In fact, I repeat, it is the best there is.

Regards.

I agree, detail and panel lines are soft on most Special Hobby kits but as Wez said they are getting better at it.

By the way I have an F1CE and an F1BE ready to be painted in EdA 14 Ala scheme of the 1980s. Looking forward to painting them!

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mountain goat said:

By the way I have an F1CE and an F1BE ready to be painted in EdA 14 Ala scheme of the 1980s. Looking forward to painting them!

Great !!!.
I made one in 2016. The updated F.1M version in low visibility gray.
Then it is possible that we coincide in the time frame during construction. Behind what I have now in hand (Bandai AT-AT 1/144) I hope to put the knife in my F.1CE.
It would be interesting to see them move forward together.

Regards.

Andrés.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fulcrum@ said:

hello !

For what aircraft is this  post ?😉

For some Mirage?

😁

What a difference? You or like Mirage's or don't like Mirage's!😁🤔

And so far I have not met more than one modeler who would say: "Ah, I like Mirage III and dislike Mirage F.1 so much!"  Usually, everything is limited either by financial ability to buy affordable Mirage or limited by the lack of some Mirage (as examples Mirage 4000 in 48th) models in production.

This is what I say now as the owner

Mirage F.1(Hasegawa, ESCI, Heller)*, Mirage III C/E (NOVO, AML*,RV Aircraft*,Modelsvit) Mirage III-V (Modelsvit) Mirage 2000 (Heller, Italery)* Mirage 4000(Modelsvit).😎

Therefore, there is no Mirage III C from Special Hobby news about why not talk at all about Mirage?

😉😁

*-what to do with all this now?

🤔😢

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

i love MIrage III's and i wish such a popular aircraft was available from more manufacturers in 1/72. I remember when i found an academy Mirage and rushed to buy it at my local hobby store...only to find out it was 1/48...

Same with the Eduard Mirage IIIC, 1/48...

I guess these days 1/48 is a lot more popular than 1/72 and it shows at my local hobby store where they stock mostly that scale and not 1/72

I think with all those news and recent releases I'm personally getting to a point where I will be able to obtain a very good kits of all the Dassault originated IDF fighters from Ouragan to Kfir.

SH gave us Super Mystere and is getting us Dagger/Nesher, Modelsvit seems close with definitive Mirage III, we have great Kfir from AvantGarde. The only zone is we need upgraded Ouragan (Heller is still considered best in town) and Mystere (SH to refine their's?)

Great for my hobby, not as great for my wallet :)

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 1:28 PM, Ed Torn said:

I remember when i found an academy Mirage and rushed to buy it at my local hobby store...only to find out it was 1/48...

1/50th, actually, despite what the box claimed. 😎

Academy's Mirages were, erm, "inspired by" the 1/50th Fujimi kits.

Cheers,

Andre