1/72 - Dassault Mirage III/5 Nesher/Dagger family by Special Hobby - MIIIC & CJ released

Homebee

1 hour ago, drake122 said:

The might also be waiting because Modelsvit released their Mirage III family first, and mostly everyone who wanted to buy one already got that kit, as it is generally a good build and accurate.

Unlikely as the Modelsvit kit really fills a different market niche compared to what SH is most likely to offer, that is something similar in quality and price to their Mirage F.1

Even with the Modelsvit kit around, there is still room for SH to do theirs

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

I thought the Modelsvit kit to be too pricey (much like all the non-mainstream kits thus far) , so am holding out for Special Hobby’s release. 

They are pricey.  Also the parts breakdown makes them a tricky build.   If the SH Mirage III is like their F1, that's the one I would go for.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

I thought the Modelsvit kit to be too pricey (much like all the non-mainstream kits thus far) , so am holding out for Special Hobby’s release. 

Modelsvit Mirage III family does cost more than SH Mirage F.1 family, true, but if you want to spice it up with PE or have masks, with Modelsvit these come out of the box, and for Special Hobby, you have to buy everything as separates through CMK/Eduard. 

I think Modelsvit offer good value, even if they are typical short run kits, no locating tabs, etc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, drake122 said:

Modelsvit Mirage III family does cost more than SH Mirage F.1 family, true, but if you want to spice it up with PE or have masks, with Modelsvit these come out of the box, and for Special Hobby, you have to buy everything as separates through CMK/Eduard. 

I think Modelsvit offer good value, even if they are typical short run kits, no locating tabs, etc.

That is true if you look at the matter from the advanced modeller perspective. Things change if you look at the matter from a manufacturer perspective: not all modellers bother with the extras that come in the Modelsvit boxes, actually it is only a relatively small number that do so, reason why a cheaper and simpler kit can sell into a wider market segment, so justifying the investment. Of course at SH they known that the "advanced modellers" market exist, reason why they offer a line or resin detail parts, but are also tempted by the "less advanced modellers" market.

We'll only be able to assess the quality of a SH Mirage III once work on this kit will be completed andl hit the market, it may well be that the Modelsvit will still reign as the superior package, but I'm sure that the expected lower price of the Czech kit will find a lot of buyers.

• Like 7

I think not only advanced modellers will appreciate canopy masks, which are at least 1/5 or maybe 1/4? of kit price considering it as aftermarket stuff. Definitelly I wish from Special Hobby sprue quallity at least the same or better than Modelsvit, decals from Cartograph, and price like Airfix base kits. Let´s see what future will offer to us 🙂

• 1 month later...

So, a fellow modeller on a czech forum asked Special Hobby representative about the status of SH Mirages, if there is any progress coming the end of 2021. The response was... there is nothing to report, but that doesn't mean work is stopped on the project. 🤷‍♂️ Next, this lead to some interesting discussion regarding proposed armament for the Mirage family, and how on the published screenshot, it lacks recon pods for RS versions, rear fuselage pylons and dumb bombs for nations other than France...

• Like 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Dassault Mirage III/5 Nesher/Dagger family by Special Hobby - 3D renders+sprues design - release in 2022
On 12/21/2021 at 2:39 PM, drake122 said:

So, a fellow modeller on a czech forum asked Special Hobby representative about the status of SH Mirages, if there is any progress coming the end of 2021. The response was... there is nothing to report, but that doesn't mean work is stopped on the project. 🤷‍♂️ Next, this lead to some interesting discussion regarding proposed armament for the Mirage family, and how on the published screenshot, it lacks recon pods for RS versions, rear fuselage pylons and dumb bombs for nations other than France...

Could you perhaps provide a link to that? 

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

5 hours ago, Robert said:

Hopefully it will be released this year, 4 years is a long time to wait.

Regards

Robert

I’ve been waiting for the Trumpeter MiG-19 for longer than that !

Wulfman

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/5/2022 at 2:34 PM, Homebee said:

101 and 117 Squadrons covered, so, next one will be 119?

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Dassault Mirage III/5 Nesher/Dagger family by Special Hobby - 3D renders+sprues design+MIIIC/CJ schemes - release in 2022
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2022 at 2:34 PM, Homebee said:
On 1/11/2022 at 11:41 PM, Fukuryu said:

101 and 117 Squadrons covered, so, next one will be 119?

A bit lame to quote oneself, but glad to know I was right in my "premonition".

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Fukuryu said:

A bit lame to quote oneself, but glad to know I was right in my "premonition".

Even worse, I can see myself doing all of those schemes... 😎

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2

Just now, Hook said:

Even worse, I can see myself doing all of those schemes... 😎

Cheers,

Andre

Me too! By chance an hour or so ago received my hard-to-get copy of Isradecal's monography on the 117th's Mirage years, and only from that Sqdn I have three or four I like... I will check the 101 and 119 books later, for more suffering.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fukuryu said:

for more suffering.

I feel your pain!, I have these in the stash to use the recce noses on the SH kits:

https://www.scalemates.com/nl/kits/rvaircraft-72050-mirage-iiicj-reconnaissance--964130

https://www.scalemates.com/nl/kits/rvaircraft-72051-mirage-iii-cj--1007834

https://www.scalemates.com/nl/kits/aml-72018-mirage-iiicj-shahak--974684

At least the SH kits will be easier to put together... most likely. ;)

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Something without the Star of David will catch my attention when they get to it :)

That's one of the nice things about the III/5 - so many operators and lovely schemes worldwide! 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hook said:

That's one of the nice things about the III/5 - so many operators and lovely schemes worldwide! 

Cheers,

Andre

You wouldn’t think so, though, looking at offerings to date :(

16 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Are the ModelsVit ones fatally flawed/unbuildable? 

I think, in fact, they are quite nice and worth the money. Considering you get PE and vinyl masks included. Also super detail even on small parts, but typical short run kits, so you have to pay some attention to get everything correct, but they go together nicely. I wouldn't expect the SH offering to be superior to Modelsvit, even though Special Hobby CEO claims otherwise. I built the SH Viggen and it also goes together, but has fit issues and also typical short run kits feel as well (at least to me). I expect their Mirages to be the same. Furthermore, these markings offered on the first SH Mirage seems quite boring to me. I know they are historically significant, but it's all the same color basically. I am more looking forward to the exotic III/V variants used by small air forces all around the world (if SH ever do those) - including Rose, Pantera, Israeli recce noce Tsiunt conversions, Atlas Cheetah, etc..

Some people also complained about severe riveting on the earliest Modelsvit Mirage and argued in this scale it shouldn't be visible, but on later releases Modelsvit severely reduced riveting as a result. Other than that I don't remember anyone mentioning any glaring shape issues. Also some boxings had poorly researched decals, but high quality ones nevertheless.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Quite the contrary! But at 30 dollars a pop at best, for someone like me who can easily want a dozen IAF Shahaks (a goal probably I won't reach given my build rate, but since real life is limiting enough, I won't put limits to my dreams!) it can turn easily into a very expensive proposition. A good but cheaper option is welcome to help filling the good ol' stash without depleting the good ol' bank account (that I share with my wife...) too much.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Far from it.  They are nice kits.  However, I find them to be expensive and a tricky build.  For instance the nose gear bay has to be built up from numerous components.  If you don't get it just right, it throws off the fit of the nose and front fuselage.  The subsequent filling and sanding removes a lot of the nice surface detail.

• Like 3