1/72 - Dassault Mirage III/5 Nesher/Dagger family by Special Hobby - MIIIC & CJ released

Homebee

After the Dassault Mirage F-1, Special Hobby is to release a complete family of 1/72nd Dassault Mirage III/5 Nesher/Dagger kits. 

Sources: 

http://www.specialhobby.info/2018/10/special-hobbys-new-172-mirages-iii-5.html

http://www.specialhobby.net/2018/09/special-hobby-pripravuje-modely-mirage.html

First 3D renders of MIIIC and CJ

Special Hobby are proudly presenting their new and extremely wide family of 1/72 Mirage IIIs which is to offer also the later development of these aeroplanes that played rather important role in the history of aviation and air warfare. The levels of quality of the injection moulding tools and the styrene components themselves are at least comparable, more likely even far surpasing those known from our more recent projects, eg. P-40 Warhawks, CASA C-212s and others. We plan to release the mentioned Mirage III as well as later 5s, Israeli Neshers, Argentina's Daggers, special Swiss canarded versions etc. Today, let us take a bit closer look at the very first of them, the iconic Mirage IIIC and CJ and and a pictorial summary of all the various pieces of styrene the modeller can expect to find in the box.

Mirage_IIIC_01_info.jpg

Mirage_IIICJ_03_info.jpg

Mirage_III_sh13_C_-_CJ_predek_s_podvesy_

Mirage_III_sh17_E_-_EO_-_R_-_RD_-_5_F_-_

Mirage_III_sh18_E_-_EO_-_R_-_RD_-_5_F_-_

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

Big thank you to Special Hobby.  What a superb announcement !

I guess these will arrive after the Viggens, Meteor Nightfighters, and two stage Mosquito's.

Can SH look at the Mirage 2000 family too.  I know there are less variants, but the old Heller kit can't go on forever, can it?

cheers,

Zhizhou

• Like 1

:thumbsup:  Good choice Special Hobby. It looks as if there will be a comprehensive selection of variants covered by the various alternative parts and certainly no shortage of decal options from the many users over the years. Can see a few of these coming home with me.

On 9/21/2018 at 6:51 PM, zhizhou said:

I guess these will arrive after the Viggens, Meteor Nightfighters, and two stage Mosquito's.

Rather sooner than that I suspect, looking at those images.

What splendid, excellent news. Well done Special Hobby!

On 9/21/2018 at 6:31 PM, Homebee said:

Special Hobby is to release a complete family of 1/72nd Dassault Mirage III/5 Nesher/Dagger kits

I feel that we will witness an epic battle!

😉😎

Optionally, depending on preferences, we 

reserve popcorns,

crackers,

semkami (fried sunflower seeds).

😁😁

Some  (as I, for example)😭

who have already taken themselves before Mirage from PJ, AML, RV....make out a prescription for Prozac....😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Aardvark said:

😉😎

Will buy from both sources... UNLESS the Modelsvit iteration will turn out to be riddled with rivets -then I'd rather pass and wait for SH. I hope both will sell well though.

Jay

7 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

UNLESS the Modelsvit iteration will turn out to be riddled with rivets -then I'd rather pass and wait for SH

Do not you like rivets? Maybe you just do not know how to cook them?

😉😁

If seriously, both companies planned the development of the Mirage family. The problem is that the SH starts its family of Mirage with the most popular version Mirage IIIC of a Modelsvit following its production policy from the less popular version Mirage IIIE. As result Mirage IIIC from Modelsvit we can simply not see.

B.R.

Serge

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

This makes me very happy and in answer to Serge's question, real aircraft are not covered in the divots most manufacturers use to represent rivets on kits, scaled up they would be deeper than the thickness of the skin they're supposed to be holding onto the structure beneath!

The Mirage III/5 series were flush riveted.

Edited by Wez

That is going to be a fantastic party! Please do not wait a lot to issue a Nesher! And luckily I have not bought any of the deep panels/riveted versions issued by competitors. 

Also fun to see people are calling SH a mainstream manufacturer :) Not there in terms of sales or market representation, but much beyond in terms of products quality!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aardvark said:

Do not you like rivets?

No. 

1 hour ago, Aardvark said:

Maybe you just do not know how to cook them?

😉😁

Well I tried to cook rivets in the past but try as I might they remain hard. I much prefer deep frying them -twice. Nomnom. But a plastic Mirage won't survive that. 🙃

Getting coat already...

Jay

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Wez said:

This makes me very happy and in answer to Serge's question, real aircraft are not covered in the divots most manufacturers use to represent rivets on kits, scaled up they would be deeper than the thickness of the skin they're supposed to be holding onto the structure beneath!

The problem is that the model is originally created from contradictions. I climbed long enough for one Su-15 and I must say that its panel lines were small steps with one panel over the other by 2-3 millimeters and I could only feel them by touch. The rivets were simply dots of a different color. But despite this, we all require a recced panels line in the model.Although it is more correct from the point of view of scale, it would be possible to draw these line panels for example with a pencil, and such a technology in modeling was, but it did not get distribution! Why? Perhaps the recced panel lines have a greater visual effect than those drawn with a pencil?

Another aspect is matt paint. We all paint the model with matt and semi-matt paints and very rarely glossy!

Due to what is matt paint achieved? Due to microroughness, granularity ...... but we are building a scale reduced in 32, 48 or 72 ! Accordingly, the roughness and graininess should also be reduced in accordance with the scale! But then it will be a glossy paint!

Do you understand the contradiction*?

So for me it's better when there are rivets than when they are not.

2 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

I much prefer deep frying them -twice. Nomnom. But a plastic Mirage won't survive that. 

I knew it! 😎

You just take the wrong prescription! 😉Rivets need to either marinate from weathering or cook in their own juice and then no Mirage will suffer!

😉😁

B.R.

Serge

*- No, this is not my idea!🤗 I just read about it in the book of the German author R.Wille (1978) "Construction of flying models" in the section devoted to flying models copies.

Edited by Aardvark
  • Haha 1

On 9/23/2018 at 7:24 PM, Aardvark said:

I don't think so as they are not in the same category. The Modelsvit will be a high-end kit and I believe the retail price will be in the range of the HPM/PJ kit. I'm not interested: the Mirage III/5 is like the MiG-21, the A-4 and others... small plane, outrageous number of markings so people will want to build several of them. A not-too-expensive and not-too-sophisticated kit is necessary for that and I think the Special Hobby kit is likely to be the best option.

Edited by Laurent
  • Like 3

I have a real dilemma ahead of me as i already have a stash of kits i will never build and so many new kits to tempt me! Need to get crackin on the builds and stash reduction pretty soon! Belgian 5BR will be enough for me to start with.😉

Arabest,

Geoff.

18 minutes ago, Jazzie said:

I have a real dilemma ahead of me as i already have a stash of kits i will never build and so many new kits to tempt me!  to get crackin on the builds and stash reduction pretty soon! 

😉

Arabest,

Geoff.

Join the rest of us.

Edited by Jabba
  • Haha 2