Westland Dragonfly HC.2 - 1/48 AMP via Mikromir

Julien

Westland Dragonfly HC.2

1/48 AMP via Mikromir

hc01.jpg

The Westland Dragon Fly was a UK Built licence built version of the Sikorsky S-51. In the UK these were powered by an Alvis Leonides radial engine developing 500hp.  While the Dragonfly was mainly used by the Royal Navy a few were by the RAF in the Casualty Evacuation role.  These were designated HC.2 (2 built) and HC.4 (12 built); the earlier type with wooden rotors, and the later with metal ones.

It is good to see companies bringing us kits of early helicopters as the are lacking. The kit from AMP (A Mikromir company) arrives on 6 sprues of plastic, four clear spures, a sheet of PE, a set of masks and resin parts for the rotor head. The plastic is more of the short run type but much better than seen before, there is little flash and the detail is better. The clear parts look a little cloudy in the pictures but its deceiving, a little polish up and they will be good. The small white resin parts seem to be made of a more durable material, the type I have seen Eduard use for tail wheels before.  Construction starts in the cabin. The seats are made (3 off) and added to the cabin floor. PE belts are provided for the pilots seat. The read cabin bulkhead is then added. The instrument panel and pilots controls are also added. 

hc05.jpg

hc04.jpg

Next up the extensive glazing for the cabin is made up. The front bubble is actually two halves which attach to a central part, The sides are then added. The complete part is then supposed to slide onto the competed fuselage, though I suspect many modellers might tray a different approach. Next up the base for the rotor head is built up. The cabin floor and base rotor head can then be put into the fuselage and it closed up. The glazing is then slid on. The main landing gear is added at the sides along with the entry step rail.

hc06.jpg

hc02.jpg

The tail rotor is then added. In picture of WF311 it can be seen there is a tail plane with an oval end plate on the opposite side from the tail rotor, however this is missing in the kit. It will not be that hard to make. Next up the full rotor head can be built up. This is quite complex so care will be needed. The blades can then be added. Last up for the main airframe is completion of the nose wheel. Lastly the side paniers to carry the casualties are made up and added.

hc03.jpg

Decals

A small decal sheet provides marking for one RAF Machine WF311. The instructions show this as being at RAF Yeovilton 1950. We know this is RNAS Yeovilton, and as the airframe was delivered in 1950 I would suspect this was delivered there, or could be at Westalnds site? The aircraft was used by 194 Sqn RAF (Far East Casevac Flight) and was written off on 16/3/53 when the engine failed. These airframes were fitted with external panniers for carrying the casualties. 

hc07.jpg

Conclusion

This is something which is overdue, the kit is welcome addition to early Helicopters from AMP.

Highly Recommended.

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif&key=de3f31bfa5d5eb5a5d9aa6ca05e

• Like 6

Nice review and can't wait to get the Royal Navy version.

There were at least five HC.2s delivered, WF308, '311, '315, VZ960 & WZ749, the last two being ex civil WS.51s.

I rather suspect the instructions mean Yeovil at Westlands 1950.

I  have seen pictures of RAF HCs with the winch fitted, which appears to be in the box, so this may add some extra interest to a build.

WF311 is the only one I have seen pictures of with the tailplane, so building  a different airframe would get you around scratch building it

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 71chally said:

Nice review and can't wait to get the Royal Navy version.

There were at least five HC.2s delivered, WF308, '311, '315, VZ960 & WZ749, the last two being ex civil WS.51s.

I rather suspect the instructions mean Yeovil at Westlands 1950.

I  have seen pictures of RAF HCs with the winch fitted, which appears to be in the box, so this may add some extra interest to a build.

WF311 is the only one I have seen pictures of with the tailplane, so building  a different airframe would get you around scratch building it

Hello chally

Now looking for a good painting scheme, HS silver or Yellow ?

Did they have another suit in their service life ?

I will restart my Fonderie HOS 3 when I get the AMP one.

Have a good modelling time !

Sincerely.

CC

The kit has been significantly re-engineered (along the lines of the Belcher kit) from the intial HO3/S-51 kit released earlier this year. Its obviously an attempt to get more options out of a single mould. However, I'm not sure about the change to windscreen glazing, it looks a bit of a clunky arrangement to me and will leave a seam down the middle to clean up, that will be hard to clean up particulary on the internal face - in my opinion the one piece glazing in the previous kit was better.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

5 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

The kit has been significantly re-engineered (along the lines of the Belcher kit) from the intial HO3/S-51 kit released earlier this year. Its obviously an attempt to get more options out the moulds, however I'm not sure about the change to windscreen glazing, it looks a bit of a clunky arrangement - in my opinion it was better in the original kit.

Thomo.

I thought that about the front Glazing when I saw this kit, having the original S-51 in the stash.

Julien

19 minutes ago, Julien said:

I thought that about the front Glazing when I saw this kit, having the original S-51 in the stash.

Julien

It would be possible to make a HC.2 from the previous boxing, without too much effort, which makes it a stange second release.

Hopefully, AMP in future iterations of the kit will return to single piece windscreen glazing.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

• 2 weeks later...