Trainers GB, We're on! - Chat

Rob G

Well, my build threads are up.  I'm trying to keep my natural impulses in check, especially after my psychotic break in the Grumman GB.  :mental:   Most of my builds are in the classic RAF training scheme, so I'm a bit concerned that The Stash has thrown up some alternatives for that scheme:

Airfix Bulldog

Airfix Tucano

AZ Model Chipmunk

Airfix Gnat

Xtrakit Hunter T.7

Revell Hunter F.6

S&M Models  Canberra T4

My other build in this GB is a T-2C Buckeye in the USN training scheme.  Other kits in The Stash which could be built in this scheme include:

Wolfpack T-45 Goshawk

Sword  T2V Seastar

Sword  FJ-3 Fury

Fujimi TA-4J Skyhawk

And then I see that  @rafalbert  is building an Alpha Jet.  I've always wanted to build one of those!  And I have one in The Stash. 

I'm just gonna stop looking at The Stash.  It's not doing me any good...   :fraidnot:  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Well, my build threads are up.  I'm trying to keep my natural impulses in check, especially after my psychotic break in the Grumman GB.  :mental:   Most of my builds are in the classic RAF training scheme, so I'm a bit concerned that The Stash has thrown up some alternatives for that scheme:

Airfix Bulldog

Airfix Tucano

AZ Model Chipmunk

Airfix Gnat

Xtrakit Hunter T.7

Revell Hunter F.6

S&M Models  Canberra T4

My other build in this GB is a T-2C Buckeye in the USN training scheme.  Other kits in The Stash which could be built in this scheme include:

Wolfpack T-45 Goshawk

Sword  T2V Seastar

Sword  FJ-3 Fury

Fujimi TA-4J Skyhawk

And then I see that  @rafalbert  is building an Alpha Jet.  I've always wanted to build one of those!  And I have one in The Stash. 

I'm just gonna stop looking at The Stash.  It's not doing me any good...   :fraidnot:  

Better crack on if you're going to get all these built Enzo! :lol: At least if all the RAF ones arrive in the paint barn at the same time that'll save you having to clean the airbrush as often as if you were building them separately :whistle:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Col. said:

At least if all the RAF ones arrive in the paint barn at the same time that'll save you having to clean the airbrush as often as if you were building them separately :whistle:

That is my plan.  It's going to need some nifty scheduling on my Excel spreadsheet.  Yes...   I am that sad!!!   :lol: 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

That is my plan.  It's going to need some nifty scheduling on my Excel spreadsheet.  Yes...   I am that sad!!!   :lol: 

More like seriously organised for this GB! Although by the sounds of it you'd have a job of work to get The Stash this organised :D 

2 minutes ago, Col. said:

Although by the sounds of it you'd have a job of work to get The Stash this organised :D 

:lol:   I tried to get The Stash organised on a spreadsheet but it didn't work out.   Besides, I like being surprised by what's in there... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

:lol:   I tried to get The Stash organised on a spreadsheet but it didn't work out.   Besides, I like being surprised by what's in there... 

Oooooo......a spreadsheet. And I was thinking of updating my quarto vellum historic stash list in Century Schoolbook onto that modern A4 stuff in a nice san-serif  Helvetica! New millennium here I come.....

• Haha 3

Right gang, let's check our mirrors, then pull away smoothly into traffic. This GB has officially started ;) 

5 hours ago, Chrissy_J said:

I guess I'm in the small minority in that I don't really know what I'm going to build... not an aircraft, though, unless I'm completely out of ideas.

What options have you got to choose from?

• Like 1

A big thanks to @Col. for officially kicking this one out of its crib and into the cold, harsh reality that is everyday life announcing the start of this GB. I was Otherwise Engaged (tm) and missed it. Good thing that I've got competent staff, eh. :D

Welcome to everyone who's started a build thread, welcome to those who have announced an intention to start a build thread, welcome to those who show up late and welcome, also, to those who'll be observing from the sidelines - should the tension get too much to bear, feel free to jump the fence and join in the scrum at any point! Don't blame us if you get a corked leg or a high tackle.

I'm seeing LOTS of wing-gy things (which is no hardship) and I believe that I'll be joining in with one as well. Anyone who wants to do something a bit different is quite welcome to do so, it is after all a TRAINERS GB, not a TRAINING AIRCRAFT GB. SO please do dig deep into those imaginations and come up with summat different if you feel the urge.

Chocks away! and Tally-ho!  - enjoy the GB chaps and chapettes, and let's all have a LOT of fun.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rob G said:

A big thanks to @Col. for officially kicking this one out of its crib and into the cold, harsh reality that is everyday life announcing the start of this GB. I was Otherwise Engaged (tm) and missed it. Good thing that I've got competent staff, eh. :D

Thankfully I have no life and wasn't doing anything else at the time ;)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Col. said:

Right gang, let's check our mirrors, then pull away smoothly into traffic. This GB has officially started ;) 

What options have you got to choose from?

My first thought was of an armoured driver training vehicle, like a turretless Chieftain. Then I looked into something a bit earlier, like a training vehicle used by the German Panzerarmee - a fahrschulwanne. A different approach is a civilian driving school car, or truck if I can get one cheap. But I haven't decided and I'm a bit lacking in motivation at the moment so I'm not making any firm choice right now. 

I'll put something together though, don't want to let the side down... 🙂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chrissy_J said:

We await your decision with bated breath. No doubt it will be interesting.

So, you made a choice yet??  :D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chrissy_J said:

My first thought was of an armoured driver training vehicle, like a turretless Chieftain.... I haven't decided and I'm a bit lacking in motivation at the moment so I'm not making any firm choice right now. 

I do like the sound of the Chieftain training set-up. Sorry to hear the motivation is missing - a trip to a decent model shop might cure that and help you make a decision ;) 

Hello @Rob G, @JOCKNEY, & @Col.. I was wondering if i might start a late entry, i have this kit from Takom.

ZHDPkOY.jpg

I would like to build one of the Tanks my Grandfather used for training.

1Dg7aNf.jpg

He enlisted in 1941 just before the attack on Pearl Harbor. He was sent to Camp Pine (Fort Drum) New York as a member of the 4th Armored Division. This is His yearbook from Basic training.

l2NwfpH.jpg

emnUZ3R.jpg

His first direct commander was Creighton Abrams.

7ZBnywv.jpg

While at Camp Pine he learned to drive, work on, & fire 75mm’s in M3 Lee’s. Both Riveted and Cast hulled versions. 

Rd1IxnZ.jpg

From there he went to Ft. Knox Kentucky, Fort Bliss Texas, & Fort Irwin California for desert training as the 4th was slated to go to North Africa. Before he could go to North Africa and eventually Europe. His sub unit the 37th armored Regiment was detached.   

Eventually they went on to train and deploy to the Pacific as the 706th Tank Battalion. He would go on to island hop in 44-45 as part of the 706th Tank Battalion. I have built the Tamiya Riveted M3 Lee and a Tamiya early M4 as two of his 4 tanks. This will be the 3rd build and I still need an M4(105). What his unit referred to as Assault Tanks. If this doesnt qualify and you say no. I will eventually build it in the Armor area. 

Dennis

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I would like to build one of the Tanks my Grandfather used for training.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

As far as I'm concerned, welcome to the GB! As long as you have some sort of record of the tank that you build being used by a training unit (kit or decal instructions, annotated photo, serial number recorded in a unit or personal log book, even a note in a diary that says 'today I learned to drive an Mx tank', etc), that'll be good enough for me. The family connection just makes it the sweeter.

I look forward to seeing how your Takom Lee goes together, as I've been eyeing off that range of kits in the LHS...

• Like 2

Good to see a military vehicle get through.   I guess ground vehicles can be tricky when it comes to training and the applied rules for this group build.   Eventually at some point, a unit will be equipped with the vehicles they will take into combat.  Until actually sent into combat, training would continue, first with crews acclimatizing themselves with said vehicle, and then also doing maneuvers and what not, practicing tactics, etc. 

regards,

Jack

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rob G said:

As long as you have some sort of record of the tank that you build being used by a training unit (kit or decal instructions,

Hello Rob so i pulled the decal guides out to confirm. All 7 options were stationed in the continental U.S.. Here are two of the ones i am looking at using. They're both of the 37th on Manuevers in Tennessee. I dont have anything to confirm wether he actually used either tank. Though as a member of the Headquarters company he would’ve been in an H coded tank like the 1st option. If i can get a specific serial # from the yearbook photo’s i may try to make that serial #. 

vrUhbI9.jpg

yT46eb4.jpg

The others are these 3 from Ft.Knox Armored school.

D6NyNwY.jpg

FyMgh6O.jpg

pFdjjX2.jpg

The last option i have photographed is this one from the 31st regm’t. on manuevers in Louisiana. 

SqA0w2X.jpg

All 6 of the above i think qualify as training ? The one option i didnt photograph was the M3 Lee at Aberdeen proving grounds. Let me know what you and the other Group Moderators think. I wont start a thread until i am sure its ok to ? 

Dennis

• Like 3

My comment about building a serial number that had been logged was more about you getting a little closer to your grandad than anything- as I said, that family connection makes it the sweeter.

To save conflicts, how about picking a tank that was definitely at a school, as opposed to being on manoeuvres - that way, there's no question of it being with an active unit. That may dislocate any Grandad connection, which is unfortunate, but a line must be drawn. As I think I said in the rules, almost any military movement that's not actual combat is technically training,  but I'm trying to restrict the GB to dedicated units and vehicles/aircraft etc.

• Like 2

I’ll get to one or both of the Jetstreams but I got my (first of probably many) Airfix Hunter the other day and it’s going to have to be built ASAP. So my first build in this GB will be the Hunter, using decals from Xtradecal for the Day Fighter Combat School, which seems to qualify.

• Like 2

Well, I am undecided on my build(s). I still have to finish a couple of the Maritime GB so my start will be delayed.

Currently, in the stash I have the following:

CT-4A

PC-9

F/A-18B

Mirage IIID

TA-4J

Harrier T10

Harrier T4 Conversion

TF-106 Conversion

Macchi MB326H

F-15D

Jet Provost

Tucano

King Air B350

Hawk Mk127

Decisions, decisions!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlackAck said:

I have just discovered a Fouga CM. 170 Magister kit in my stash.  I imagine that would be appropriate for this GB?

Yip :) 

1 hour ago, zebra said:

I’ll get to one or both of the Jetstreams but I got my (first of probably many) Airfix Hunter the other day and it’s going to have to be built ASAP. So my first build in this GB will be the Hunter, using decals from Xtradecal for the Day Fighter Combat School, which seems to qualify.

:wub: 

27 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Well, I am undecided on my build(s). I still have to finish a couple of the Maritime GB so my start will be delayed.

CT-4A

PC-9

F/A-18B

Mirage IIID

TA-4J

Harrier T10

Harrier T4 Conversion

TF-106 Conversion

Macchi MB326H

F-15D

Jet Provost

Tucano

King Air B350

Hawk Mk127

Decisions, decisions!

Harrier T.4 first.

Harrier T.10 next.

Mirage IIID after that.

There. Decision made for you ;) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

CT-4A

PC-9

F/A-18B

Mirage IIID

TA-4J

Harrier T10

Harrier T4 Conversion

TF-106 Conversion

Macchi MB326H

F-15D

Jet Provost

Tucano

King Air B350

Hawk Mk127

Decisions, decisions!

Your stash seems to be missing a Winjeel! I’d love to see the CT-4A - don’t think I’ve ever seen a model of one of those - or the Macchi

2 hours ago, zebra said:

Your stash seems to be missing a Winjeel! I’d love to see the CT-4A - don’t think I’ve ever seen a model of one of those - or the Macchi

Already built a Winjeel Julian 🙂 

36529822323_271c3fa70e_b.jpg&key=1d7dbf8

..and a Tigermoth (not very well though)

24531031077_0fdcbd2eeb_o.jpg&key=95929a1

..and a Vampire Trainer

24530942647_82427e5c6a_o.jpg&key=9575227

and a Mirage IIID (in 1/48). I still want to build my other ride in 1/72.

36246555824_4f5f22f325_b.jpg&key=8b01cbc

I started a Tasman CT-4A about 20 years ago, never finished it as it was beyond my skills at the time. Ended up selling the part started kit on Evil Bay. I have a better kit now from another Kiwi company (more detailed, it is all resin this time around). The thing is it is so small I might not be able to see all the parts! :D

• Like 4

On 21/02/2019 at 22:19, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

CT-4A

PC-9

F/A-18B

Mirage IIID

TA-4J

Harrier T10

Harrier T4 Conversion

TF-106 Conversion

Macchi MB326H

F-15D

Jet Provost

Tucano

King Air B350

Hawk Mk127

Decisions, decisions!

I can't believe Enzo hasn't chipped in with his trademark "BUILD THEM ALL !" so I thought I had better do it for him ;)

They are all very modern, compared with others being built in the GB so far, great to see us coving all the bases.

my choices would be ;

Jet Provost

Harrier T-10

However I suppose it's only reasonable to ask what you fancy building as they are your kits after all ! :rofl:

Cheers Pat

• Haha 2