Trainers GB, We're on! - Chat

Rob G

18 hours ago, Rob G said:

Right, that's RAY's entry sorted (a fair whack of scratchbuilding there, methinks!), what else are people going to do?

:lol: 

When I was 19 one of the local rich kid's dad started teaching her how to drive in His Sierra Saphire Cosworth. Coming home one evening to meet her coming the other way at about 25mph on the open road, all big blonde hair, even bigger eyes, and white knuckles, with her dad looking quite concerned in the passenger seat was a sight that still sits fresh in my mind :blink2: :S Alas I don't have a photo to prove it happened and that's a pity as she was quite easy on the eye back then :wub: although a bit hard on the ears :ike: 

Anyway, in the absense of model kits depicting Ford Sierra Saphire Cosworths and hot 17 year old farmer's daughters, I'll throw my name in as well with something like a Hawker Hunter T-7 in Dutch Air Force colours. Or perhaps a Supermarine Seafire from the Deck Landing Training School at Milltown if that's considered acceptable?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I built a Gnat and Vampire during the previous Trainers GB.

Stash check, off the top of my head,

2 Chipmunks, 

3 Jet Provosts,

1 Gnat and a WHIF idea,

a Hawk, decals for black ones, - then several others of all generations,

a T-33 and SeaStar,

a Lightning T4.

Some might get built during other GBs, others might be obtained in the meantime, but I'm sure I'll be with you.

• Like 1

Welcome, gentlemen. This is filling up a lot more quickly than I thought it would.

@Col. a 4 door Sierra Cossie? That's so wrong (I had to look it up, actually, seeing as we never got the Sierra down here.) The DLTS Seafire is certainly welcome - something different, especially if posed on an appropriately marked piece of runway.

@theplasticsurgeon build 'em all (you know that you want to!)

@jrlx welcome Jaime. Start searching through the stash now!

@Jb65rams a T-45 is a good start. Any chance of an original Hawk to go with it? :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having read through this thread I've a couple of questions before committing to it:

1.  Would a target tug count, after all, it is being used in a training role?

2.  Would Operational Conversion Flight/Unit (OCF/OCU) or Operational Training Unit (OTU) aircraft (or equivalent non RAF and non-flying things), count if they are in that unit's dedicated markings?

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Rob G said:

...a 4 door Sierra Cossie? That's so wrong (I had to look it up, actually, seeing as we never got the Sierra down here.) The DLTS Seafire is certainly welcome - something different, especially if posed on an appropriately marked piece of runway.

Aye. It raised a few eyebrows at the time as well :lol: 

Was considering at least one of the three Seafire types they used (III, XV, and XVII) in landing configuration but the runway sounds an appropriate display so will keep that in mind thanks :speak_cool:

• Like 1

Sounds like a good idea.

I built RAF Training Command in 1/72 in the 80s so could now complete the set in 2019.

Mind you I had 11 in 1986 but there are only 3 now!

Colin

• Like 1

Apologies for the delayed reply gents, I took a wee drive north to attend the next club up the coast's model show over the weekend. 4 1/2 hours each way, but a good time was had by all. On with the administrationy stuff...

On 9/28/2018 at 4:27 PM, Wez said:

Having read through this thread I've a couple of questions before committing to it:

1.  Would a target tug count, after all, it is being used in a training role?

2.  Would Operational Conversion Flight/Unit (OCF/OCU) or Operational Training Unit (OTU) aircraft (or equivalent non RAF and non-flying things), count if they are in that unit's dedicated markings?

1. Hmm. Let me think about it (and I'd welcome input from the rest of the crowd). I can see arguments for and against.

2. Yes, mos def. I was thinking about something from the Lighting Training Flight myself, so I can hardly disallow it for others! Welcome to the GB, I'll add you for now.

On 9/29/2018 at 12:06 AM, Colin W said:

Sounds like a good idea.

I built RAF Training Command in 1/72 in the 80s so could now complete the set in 2019.

Mind you I had 11 in 1986 but there are only 3 now!

Colin

I had marbles once, but they're long gone, so I feel your pain. Maybe this is a sign that you should attempt to rebuild the collection. :) Welcome to the GB.

On 9/29/2018 at 5:52 PM, JOCKNEY said:

This any good ?

IMG_4069

Cheers Pat

So many things to say, mostly involving certain old Brit TV comedies. But I will hold onto myself (ohh err Matron!) Yes Mr Pat, that is teddibly appropriate, old chap. As long as you remember to add the 'L' plate to it at the end. Going to do Mr Revell's kit?

1 hour ago, Rob G said:
IMG_4069

So many things to say, mostly involving certain old Brit TV comedies. But I will hold onto myself (ohh err Matron!) Yes Mr Pat, that is teddibly appropriate, old chap. As long as you remember to add the 'L' plate to it at the end. Going to do Mr Revell's kit?

Hi Rob

It wasn'e me, it was all Rays idea !

Besides I was thinking about the target tug, Hawker Henley please

cheers Pat

• Haha 2

To me target tugs would fit well into the remit of this GB.

As an aside to the L-plates discussion, I really must find that photo my dad took of a KB-50 which had an L-plate stuck on its nose at a Lossiemouth Air Day :lol: 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Col. said:

I suggested Target Tugs because:

1.  They're used in training - teaching pilot's/gunners how to shoot at things!

2.  They were allowed in the previous Trainers GB.

3.  There's some really lovely colour schemes for target tug aircraft.

• Like 4

On 10/1/2018 at 5:27 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Rob

It wasn'e me, it was all Rays idea !

Besides I was thinking about the target tug, Hawker Henley please

cheers Pat

Oh right, point the finger somewhere else. :D A 'enley would be hentirely happropriate for the GB under the (new) rules (see below).

On 10/1/2018 at 6:23 PM, Col. said:

As an aside to the L-plates discussion, I really must find that photo my dad took of a KB-50 which had an L-plate stuck on its nose at a Lossiemouth Air Day :lol: 

If you find it Col, I'm sure that we'd all like to see it. And see below for approval re target tugs.

On 10/1/2018 at 9:57 PM, franky boy said:

Hi Rob

Put me down for this one please.

Thanks 

James

Consider yourself put down. Hang on... that didn't sound right.

Welcome to the GB.

On 10/2/2018 at 2:55 AM, Wez said:

I suggested Target Tugs because:

1.  They're used in training - teaching pilot's/gunners how to shoot at things!

2.  They were allowed in the previous Trainers GB.

3.  There's some really lovely colour schemes for target tug aircraft.

I concur. Target tugs are in.

On 10/3/2018 at 2:08 AM, CliffB said:

Another one to say 'yes' to please.  It even tempt me back to doing some more Chaco War stuff......

Welcome to the nuthouse Cliff!

On 10/3/2018 at 1:58 PM, Arniec said:

I am in. With what?! I haven't got a clue, but I will find something.

Cheers,

Welcome Arniec, I'm sure you'll find something different.

17 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Yes please. Need a reason to build a Hawk in proper trainer colours. 

A pukkah 'awk, eh? Welcome to the GB.

16 hours ago, Wez said:

@Rob G  looks like we could make the poll this year at this rate, I think you've had another four sign up in recent days

Yup, it's filling nicely. As of course it would, because I want to leave home and travel next year...

15 hours ago, Jabba said:

Count me in.

Yous is counted! Any thoughts on a subject yet? (Not compulsory at this stage, but it's always interesting to speculate!)

If any of you fine upstanding chaps who've signed up for this GB would like to volunteer to co-host, let me know and I'll share the secret code word and handshake. We may make it into this year's voting at the rate we're going!

Also, your thoughts on trainer aircraft in display team colours, please. My idea is to exclude them, as they're not actually being used as trainers when they're assigned to the display team - there may be exceptions for some of the smaller air forces, but in the interests of simplicity, I'm inclined to just disallow them totally. (Hopefully) less arguments that way.

• Like 3