Trainers GB, We're on! - Chat

Rob G

I’m contemplating two Amodel Jetstreams. The first is an RAF T.1 which I think clearly fits the bill for this GB.

The second is Cranfield University’s Jetstream which was used as a flying laboratory to teach university aeronautical engineering students including, 24 years ago, me. The cabin was fitted out with screens showing various parameters and we used it to record data as the pilot demonstrated varooous different things like pitch oscillations, Dutch roll, stalls, simulated engine failures and so on. So I think of it as a teaching tool - does it qualify for the GB?

• Like 2

On 2/1/2019 at 12:23 AM, zebra said:

I’m contemplating two Amodel Jetstreams. The first is an RAF T.1 which I think clearly fits the bill for this GB.

The second is Cranfield University’s Jetstream which was used as a flying laboratory to teach university aeronautical engineering students including, 24 years ago, me. The cabin was fitted out with screens showing various parameters and we used it to record data as the pilot demonstrated varooous different things like pitch oscillations, Dutch roll, stalls, simulated engine failures and so on. So I think of it as a teaching tool - does it qualify for the GB?

It certainly sounds like a trainer to me, a flying classroom infact.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Threadbear said:

Yes definitely interested in this GB. 

Looking at an Airfix Jet Provost from one of the RAFs Flying Schools and a Fouga CM.170 Magister. Not sure to use either the Heller kit or Special Hobby? 

• Like 2

On 9/28/2018 at 3:15 AM, Col. said:

Anyway, in the absense of model kits depicting Ford Sierra Saphire Cosworths and hot 17 year old farmer's daughters

It’s this kind of thing that makes me happy to be back on Britmodeller. It gives me the feeling that I’m not alone anymore, that I’m amongst kindred spirits 😊.

This story cheered me up so much, especially the details of hairdo and white knuckles, that I now must ask if I may join this GB?

💁‍♀️🚗 💨 😧 🚜 😱💰💰 

I’m afraid that no, it will sadly not be a Cosworth and talkative farmer’s daughter 😞.

Instead; I would like to build maybe a Fairchild PT-19 in the markings of Little Norway in Canada during WWII. Sexy colours on these, if nothing else 👍

Please could I sign up?

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For some reason, I haven't been receiving notifications of posts to this thread and it hasn't shown up in my To Be Read section (whatever it's called...). Me and tech aren't always the best of friends.

My apologies gents, your questions and concerns will be answered as soon as I can get a good look at them and a decent keyboard to reply with!

• Like 1

I haven't signed up for this yet Rob & hesitate to now, life has been uncooperative re actual modelling of late but by 2020, I should see a way clear, surely :unsure: , so put me down, I've no shortage of suitable subjects.

Steve.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 4:30 PM, John D.C. Masters said:

I might have to add my name to this GB list...I have some aircraft that might be suitable.  Give me an excuse to build a MIg-15 UTI...

A MiG-15 UTI (sounds like a social disease...) would be most welcome (unlike the social disease...). Welcome along!

On 1/6/2019 at 5:22 PM, Romeo Delta said:

I have a T-45 Goshawk that I have wanted to build for a few years. This is the perfect opportunity. 

Indeed it is. Welcome!

On 1/7/2019 at 9:47 PM, Giorgio N said:

Would a G.91T be of interest ? This was a variant used for training only and only served in a dedicated training unit, so I believe it would be eligible. If going ahead with this project, it would be a crosskitting exercise between Aeroclub's mixed media kit and the more recent Revell G.91R.

A Gina will fill a conspicuous hole. Welcome along Giorgio!

On 1/10/2019 at 7:25 AM, MarkSH said:

Alas the new Airfix Tiger Moth will probably not be available for this GB, however another recent acquisition, will see me add this to the GB roll call:

No Tiger Moth? Whatever will we do? :D Never mind, there's lots of alternatives and it looks like you've found a good'un! Welcome to the GB,.

On 1/10/2019 at 8:00 PM, Mr B said:

Did you say trainers?

i am in for sure

rgds

Oooh, a man of few words. We await your selection with bated breath! Welcome to the GB!. (Those with baited breath can stand outside, downwind of the old clubhouse.)

On 1/11/2019 at 5:18 AM, RJ-WobblyHands said:

ooh trainers - i will be here breaking something -  I have a Hobby Boss  Hawk T1A that is crying out for either a Raspberry Ripple Scheme of the Empire Test Pilots School  or black one with 4 FTS (74 Squadron) in 2001 the Tiger on the tail keeps winking at me ! and my T-38 Talon has just been completed :)

Hawks are always welcome, it'll be grand to see yours.  As has been said, you should probably consider doing 2 kits so as not to do the wrong one. ;)

On 1/23/2019 at 4:29 PM, llking said:

count me in please

Counted. Welcome to the GB.

On 1/25/2019 at 9:49 PM, pabbi said:

Hi, I would like to join with a North American T-6 Texan, Hondo AFB 1954

That sounds like it'll fit right in. Welcome to the GB!

On 1/30/2019 at 5:13 AM, Redstaff said:

Finally decided what to do now Christmas is over and I'm back to normality (well as normal as I get)

I've ordered a Sword T5 Lightning and intend to continue building up my 56 squadron aircraft with XS459 in NMF (way out of my comfort zone so expect loads of questions and tips)...

A Tub is a Good Thing (tm). Lightnings are never out of place and are always fashionable, as well. Welcome to the GB, I'll be watching your build so that I can have some pointers for when I get to mine... No doubt the NMF experts will be along at the required time to assist you in your efforts (BM is like that!).

On 2/1/2019 at 10:23 AM, zebra said:

Both seem to be suitable, as 'training' also includes the trades. Welcome to the GB!

On 2/3/2019 at 5:00 AM, mackem01 said:

Can I please join the party??

You may indeed. It's BYO, so you have no-one but yourself to blame if you don't like the drinks selection!. :D Welcome to the GB.

On 2/3/2019 at 8:26 PM, Threadbear said:

Yes definitely interested in this GB. 

Welcome to the madhouse, Mr Bear!

17 hours ago, Threadbear said:

Looking at an Airfix Jet Provost from one of the RAFs Flying Schools and a Fouga CM.170 Magister. Not sure to use either the Heller kit or Special Hobby? 

Don't just look at it laddie, it'll no' get done by itsel'! JP and Magister - nice combo. I'll leave it to others to advise re the best Magister, but the Airfix one does date from a few years back...

10 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Definitely going to enter, but would aerobatic scheme fit? recently done a reds hawk and fancy a frecce mb339

Sadly Stu, I've disallowed aerobatic display teams in toto - many do belong to training schools, but a line has to be drawn somewhere and instead of debating eligibility on an individual basis, I just decided 'No Display Birds'. I know, I'm a meanie. My ex-wife will tell you the same thing. There's plenty of other choices though, and I encourage you to join in with something else. I'm sure that the MB339 has been used as a bare trainer by someone...

2 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

It’s this kind of thing that makes me happy to be back on Britmodeller. It gives me the feeling that I’m not alone anymore, that I’m amongst kindred spirits 😊.

This story cheered me up so much, especially the details of hairdo and white knuckles, that I now must ask if I may join this GB?

💁‍♀️🚗💨😧🚜 😱💰💰 

I’m afraid that no, it will sadly not be a Cosworth and talkative farmer’s daughter 😞.

Instead; I would like to build maybe a Fairchild PT-19 in the markings of Little Norway in Canada during WWII. Sexy colours on these, if nothing else 👍

Please could I sign up?

Best regards

TonyT

Oh, you are alone TonyT, but if it makes you feel better we'll smile and wave as they carry you off, securely wrapped... :D

A PT-19 will be just the ticket. Welcome to the GB!

(I'm joking, of course. We probably won't wave. 😜 )

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

I haven't signed up for this yet Rob & hesitate to now, life has been uncooperative re actual modelling of late but by 2020, I should see a way clear, surely :unsure: , so put me down, I've no shortage of suitable subjects.

Steve.

DO EET, DO EET NOW! You know that you want to - this GB kicks off in about 10 days, as we managed to make the numbers a LOT more quickly than I thought we would. You can wait until 2020 if you wish, but it'll be a 1-man GB... Join us, we'll do everything that we can to lead you astray encourage you in your hobbyish endeavours. (I'd better add the dates to the head post!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hello RoB and welcome back

I wait a your signal , a small summary:

Goodmorning To All

I have Just   two little questions:

- An Aero L-29 trainer (Eduard 1/48  weekend kit) in Tiger meet version is eligible?

-........or an Aero L-39 trainer-attack( 1/48 Special Hobby kit) in Thay color is also possible ?

Thanks

Ettore

@Ettore

The Tiger Meet L-29 is a bit of a difficulty- I'm inclined to allow it given that it was a trainer/light attack type in a fighter squadron, so was most likely used as just a trainer (and Tiger Sqns tend to take 2 seaters with them to Meets if they can), but I'll have to try deeper research when I'm home from work; chasing esoterica such as this on a phone is a problem. I'll give you a definitive answer late in the week.  

The Thai L-39 is OK as long as you build the 101 Sqn example (at this point). 101 is their Aviation Academy, 401 is Light Ground Attack and 411 is Fighter. The L-39 is the only type that both the other squadrons seem to operate, so I can only surmise that that's what they're used for. Again, I'll dig deeper when I'm home, but 101 Sqn is definitely OK. I'm a fan of the L-39 and love the Thai colours, I may have to get one for myself!  

If you have more information that you can link me to to support either of your choices, it would aid me considerably!

Hello Rob

I read both notices; the L-39 Thay is of 101 Sq. passed at 401 and marks  are of this last squadron. But are eligible an Algerian and a czech airplane.

L-29 Tiger meet airplane is at limit, but the slovak is good. If  you have time, you can read the notices on Eduard web site.....  

I have also a third option: a Fouga Magister CM 170 Zephir   1/72 Special Hobby kit; this machine was used to training pilots to landing French carriers

Ettore 

first choice L-29 Tiger meet, is always a plane born as a trainer
second choice a Slovak L-29
third choice a CM170 Fouga Magister

I wait

Ettore  :hmmm:.................:bye:

Edited by Ettore

Oh shivers! I hadn't reckoned on that. I might have a go all the same It'll be dining table modelling. :unsure:

6 hours ago, Rob G said:

I'm sure that the MB339 has been used as a bare trainer by someone...

The RNZAF for one which has jogged a memory. Leave it with me. :D

Steve.

• Like 2

@Rob G well, I do have an italeri Jaguar T2 that I got as part of an ebay bundle, suppose I could build that instead, actually on that note, where is the line  on twin seat versions, I just got myself a twin stick saab grippen would that also count? 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

14 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Oh shivers! I hadn't reckoned on that. I might have a go all the same It'll be dining table modelling. :unsure:

The RNZAF for one which has jogged a memory. Leave it with me. :D

Steve.

This,  in turn, has jogged my memory too Steve. It made me remember that close by (closer than the PT-19 I was thinking of doing), I have a nice Aeroclub kit of the MB 339. 

That in turn led to a little search on DuckDuckGo (I don’t use that big Googly thing anymore; they know too much about my turnips).

https://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/mb339/

They’re attractive aircraft aren’t they? This could lead to a change of plan 🤔.

Best regards and a belated happy new year from across the Tasman Steve 👋 

TonyT

• Like 2

I really like these when the RNZAF used them, in a Euro 1 type colour scheme they look sleek but purposeful at the same time. I've also got a just started Blunty which was a GB fail a year or so back, it may become part of a double build but with no guarantee of completion on either, there'll be logistical problems, who incidentally is on holiday with her sister in Queensland just now, :) back on Friday :(;) 

Steve.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

well obviously got one or two possible subjects as said in my ealrier post, but seeing the images of the RNZAF mb339, looks very tasty, if decals are out there that might change things 

Try on here Stu, I've used them before & been happy with the way they work.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for signing me up, I'll now follow that with a question. Would your subject still count if it was a training unit throughout it's life,

except when its was briefly called to front line service? - that subject being an 899 NAS Sea Harrier.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mackem01 said:

Thanks for signing me up, I'll now follow that with a question. Would your subject still count if it was a training unit throughout it's life,

except when its was briefly called to front line service? - that subject being an 899 NAS Sea Harrier.

What say thee gang? While the T.2/4N are obviously training machines are we all happy enough to see the single seat 'sports' model as well?