Trainers GB, We're on! - Chat

Rob G

20 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Maybe you can do the new JP kit as well, make it an Airfix JP twofer? :D

But I don't have one....that would mean adding another kit to the stash.....its a thought 🤔....and it is nearly Christmas :like: good idea Rob Thanks (that way I can say the man on the forum told me to do it!)

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Goodmorning To All

I have Just   two little questions:

- An Aero L-29 trainer (Eduard 1/48  weekend kit) in Tiger meet version is eligible?

-........or an Aero L-39 trainer-attack( 1/48 Special Hobby kit) in Thay color is also possible ?

Thanks

Ettore

Edited by Ettore
  • Like 1

@Enzo Matrix
I don't see why your Hunter wouldn't be eligible. Not every trainer has 2 seats, and given 4 FTS's mission of Advanced Fast Jet Training, I'd say that the F.6 fits right in.

@Ettore

The Tiger Meet L-29 is a bit of a difficulty- I'm inclined to allow it given that it was a trainer/light attack type in a fighter squadron, so was most likely used as just a trainer (and Tiger Sqns tend to take 2 seaters with them to Meets if they can), but I'll have to try deeper research when I'm home from work; chasing esoterica such as this on a phone is a problem. I'll give you a definitive answer late in the week.

The Thai L-39 is OK as long as you build the 101 Sqn example (at this point). 101 is their Aviation Academy, 401 is Light Ground Attack and 411 is Fighter. The L-39 is the only type that both the other squadrons seem to operate, so I can only surmise that that's what they're used for. Again, I'll dig deeper when I'm home, but 101 Sqn is definitely OK. I'm a fan of the L-39 and love the Thai colours, I may have to get one for myself!

If you have more information that you can link me to to support either of your choices, it would aid me considerably!

Hello Rob

I read both notices; the L-39 Thay is of 101 Sq. passed at 401 and marks  are of this last squadron. But are eligible an Algerian and a czech airplane.

L-29 Tiger meet airplane is at limit, but the slovak is good. If  you have time, you can read the notices on Eduard web site.....  

I have also a third option: a Fouga Magister CM 175 Zephir   1/72 Special Hobby kit; this machine was used to training pilots to landing French carriers

Ettore 

Edited by Ettore
  • Like 1

I'm rethinking my entry. I think I'll keep the Shorthorn for later, as an early war bomber. I have a Phoenix DH6 in the stash and just ordered the Datafile, so if that arrives in time, DH6 it will be! That also fits in with me wanting to add the Airco aircraft to my collection, as I also have a DH1, 1a, 2, 4, 5, 9 & 9a waiting in the wings.

Ian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob G said:

How is a sandshoe related to this GB? Colour me confused (again)...

// wibble \\

Must be an Aussie, everyone else calls them trainers!

Ian

• Haha 3

On 1/4/2019 at 6:27 PM, limeypilot said:

everyone else calls them trainers!

I call them sneakers...I have also heard them called 'gym boots.'

I might have to add my name to this GB list...I have some aircraft that might be suitable.  Give me an excuse to build a MIg-15 UTI...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, whiskey said:

Has anyone thought about doing an F-106B?

Now there's a rare bird.

if nothing else this will be a colourful GB B) 

• Like 1

Although I was not one of the original supporters, I may well enter this GB.

I noticed this sentence in the original proposal:

On 9/21/2018 at 2:28 PM, Rob G said:

I'd encourage entrants to think a bit 'out there', and be a bit different, I'd hate to see a slew of samey same subjects...

Since I am very much in agreement with this idea, I'll try to propose something a bit different. Would a G.91T be of interest ? This was a variant used for training only and only served in a dedicated training unit, so I believe it would be eligible. If going ahead with this project, it would be a crosskitting exercise between Aeroclub's mixed media kit and the more recent Revell G.91R.

• Like 4

Alas the new Airfix Tiger Moth will probably not be available for this GB, however another recent acquisition, will see me add this to the GB roll call:

46680765701_5268b5a6bc_b.jpg

The moulding is quite nice but its been done in the most horrendous yellow plastic, I'll save your sensibilities as you'll be seeing enough of it when the GB starts, suffice to say I've given myself a headache just examining the kit.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

ooh trainers - i will be here breaking something -  I have a Hobby Boss  Hawk T1A that is crying out for either a Raspberry Ripple Scheme of the Empire Test Pilots School  or black one with 4 FTS (74 Squadron) in 2001 the Tiger on the tail keeps winking at me ! and my T-38 Talon has just been completed :)

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 7:18 PM, RJ-WobblyHands said:

ooh trainers - i will be here breaking something -  I have a Hobby Boss  Hawk T1A that is crying out for either a Raspberry Ripple Scheme of the Empire Test Pilots School  or black one with 4 FTS (74 Squadron) in 2001 the Tiger on the tail keeps winking at me ! and my T-38 Talon has just been completed :)

Sounds as if you need a second kit to avoid making the wrong decision ;) 

• Haha 2

Finally decided what to do now Christmas is over and I'm back to normality (well as normal as I get)

I've ordered a Sword T5 Lightning and intend to continue building up my 56 squadron aircraft with XS459 in NMF (way out of my comfort zone so expect loads of questions and tips)

then hopefully it may look something like this pic from the web :) (Top middle pic)

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/registration/XS459

Ian

• Like 3