Trainers GB, We're on! - Chat

Rob G

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

That always applied to every GB - even the ones at the end of the year.

Indeed it do.

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I'm considering a T-2 Buckeye for this.

That will be a nice addition to the fleet.

After someone else jumps in at position number 39 I'll bag position number 40 for a Miles Master of some description.  Most likely a Novo Mark III out of the box but may also try to back converted one to a Mark II or - if I can find it - build the Pegasus Mark I.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 10:45 AM, Rob S said:

After someone else jumps in at position number 39 I'll bag position number 40 for a Miles Master of some description.  Most likely a Novo Mark III out of the box but may also try to back converted one to a Mark II or - if I can find it - build the Pegasus Mark I.

Welcome to the GB. I'll add you at 40, but it's not strictly required for anyone else to be added now that we've been approved and given a date. Thank you for your interest.

A Master fits the bill quite nicely.

8 hours ago, Rob S said:

Following on from the above train of thought would a Miles M.24 Master Fighter be eligible for this GB?  

Hmm. I did some looking and I'd have to say no. Despite it's lineage, it was a fighter, not a trainer. (Although 'fighter' may be a somewhat optimistic title. 'Armed target' may be more appropriate!)

On 11/3/2018 at 7:43 AM, Rob G said:

Hmm. I did some looking and I'd have to say no. Despite it's lineage, it was a fighter, not a trainer. (Although 'fighter' may be a somewhat optimistic title. 'Armed target' may be more appropriate!)

That's OK given how many GBs I hope to be in I'll probably just settle on a Master III straight out of the box but at least now I know what to put into the "Armed Target Group Build" whenever it is held!  

• Haha 2

For 2019 I've vowed not to overcommit to builds.  I've been doing up to four builds for a single GB and thait's just a bit daft. :mental:  So I'm thinking no more than two builds per GB.

That's fine.   I'm settled on a T-2 Buckeye for this one.  And then I thought a Jet Provost T3 would be nice as well.  I've never yet completed a kit in the classic RAF training scheme with which I was happy but I thought it might be good to try again as I now have a technique which I think might help.  So...   JP3 as well.  :thumbsup:

Then the rot set in.  I went looking for an Airfix JP3 in The Stash.  I found it sat next to a Sword JP5.  I really like to see how things develop over time so it would be nice to build them both alongside each other.  And you can't build anything in the classic RAF training scheme without building a Hawk...   oh look!  Here's one in The Stash.

erm....   right next to an AZModel Chipmunk, Airfix Gnat and Airfix Bulldog... 

Somebody shoot me!  Shoot me NOW!  :wall:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

For 2019 I've vowed not to overcommit to builds.  I've been doing up to four builds for a single GB and thait's just a bit daft. :mental:  So I'm thinking no more than two builds per GB.

Who are you and what have you done to Enzo?

14 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I'm settled on a T-2 Buckeye for this one.  And then I thought a Jet Provost T3 would be nice as well.

14 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

erm....   right next to an AZModel Chipmunk, Airfix Gnat and Airfix Bulldog... 

Phew! Normal service is resumed.

Great joke Enzo, don't do that again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm going to have to stop looking in The Stash - I really am...

Other stuff that I've found:

S&M Models Canberra T4

Fujimi TA-4J Skyhawk

Revell Alpha Jet

Airfix Vampire T11   three of 'em!

Sword T-33    four of the blighters!

Sword T2V Seastar

Hasegawa TF-104G Starfighter

Hasegawa Mitsubishi T-1

Hasegawa Mitsubishi T-2

Revell F-16B

Heller T-6 Texan

And then we come on to the really mad stuff:

Falcon vacform TF-106 conversion with a Meng F-106 available

Xtraparts TF-102 conversion, again with a Meng F-102 available

1/48 Magna Models Miles Master III 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have a Matchbox TF-104 in the stash (ok, technically it's in the For Sale box), and I'd be lucky to get that done OOB. You chaps who manage to build a couple of dozen kits a year, AND to a high standard, blow my mind.

Bring 'em all Enzo, you know you want to!

• Haha 1

Possibilities for me, all 1/48, include a Planet Models Thomas Morse Scout S-4, Revell Stearman Kaydet (PT-17), Testors Ryan ST (PT-20). I also have a Kitty Hawk TF-9J "Twogar", but I don't think I could complete that in the time period. An Amodel Leopard Moth in RAF trainer markings seems outside the rules.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

An Amodel Leopard Moth in RAF trainer markings seems outside the rules.

I should think that it'd fit right in. A trainer type, in trainer markings, what's to debate? If you have a doubt about its eligibilty, share a link to the kit and/or decal sheet I'll give you a judgment (ooh, a judgement!) but on the face of it it sounds ok.

Make it a PM discussion if you prefer.

11 hours ago, Rob G said:

I should think that it'd fit right in.

It appears I over-remembered this kit. It's from Planet Models with RAF markings for a liaison aircraft. The Amodel kit is a Metal Moth, with both British and Polish civil markings.

Edited by dnl42
  • Sad 1

I've a question about my possible subject choice, the Curtiss JN-4 Canuck .   The aircraft itself qualifies, but wonder if it is alright to put it in a scheme used during a war bond drive?

3536L-1.jpg

C1373.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

Interesting. I have a 2 seat Camel trainer, a Jenny, and a Farman Shorthorn that I can think of off the top of my head. The Farman is tempting.....

Ian

• Like 1

On 11/15/2018 at 3:31 AM, JackG said:

I've a question about my possible subject choice, the Curtiss JN-4 Canuck .   The aircraft itself qualifies, but wonder if it is alright to put it in a scheme used during a war bond drive?

Hi Jack. I'd like the GB to be just for training types being used as trainers. As a result, I've excluded training types used by display teams, so it would hardly be fair to allow a different non-training use in. :) That is a good looking scheme though, hopefully you'll manage to do it for another GB (or suggest one that suits it!) Interesting type, is there an easily available training unit scheme?

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Interesting. I have a 2 seat Camel trainer, a Jenny, and a Farman Shorthorn that I can think of off the top of my head. The Farman is tempting.....

Hi Ian. a 2 seat Camel (one hump or two?) would be somewhat different. The Shorthorn... absolutely! But will you be able to rig it in less than the time allotted? :D

Rob, thank you for response.

I liked the above scheme as it had the town name of Deseronto in which were located two camps (Rathbun and Mohawk) that trained close to 3,300 airman during the First World War.  It's the most colourful aircraft I've come across of it's type.   Yes there is plenty others to chose from though not quite as flamboyant , but least now I know to strike this one off the list of options.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

@JackGthe line has to be drawn somewhere or we could include almost any type of anything, as even peacetime sorties undertaken by military units are, technically, training. Hopefully you can find another option that takes your fancy and thank you for understanding.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 8:39 AM, Rob G said:

Hi Jack. I'd like the GB to be just for training types being used as trainers. As a result, I've excluded training types used by display teams, so it would hardly be fair to allow a different non-training use in. :) That is a good looking scheme though, hopefully you'll manage to do it for another GB (or suggest one that suits it!) Interesting type, is there an easily available training unit scheme?

So does that mean that the typical jet conversion dual seater (TF-104, TF-102, really any TF types and dual seater Jaguars, Mirages, F-16B and so on) are out as not used by "pure" training units and also had a dual role for use in action if need be?

Cheers, Peter

I've a two seat Harrier, two seat Hunter and a Canberra T4 conversion kit all winking at me from the stash. Will contribute at least one. 

On 11/19/2018 at 10:30 AM, Basilisk said:

So does that mean that the typical jet conversion dual seater (TF-104, TF-102, really any TF types and dual seater Jaguars, Mirages, F-16B and so on) are out as not used by "pure" training units and also had a dual role for use in action if need be?

Cheers, Peter

Nope, they're acceptable as long as they're not depicted on actual combat duties. Which I'm pretty sure that no modern dedicated trainer has ever had to do ( Except Israeli ones, maybe? Some from the African nations?) AFAIK, TF-type 2 seaters attached to squadrons are used almost exclusively for maintaining proficiencies and check rides. If you're going to do a 2 hole modern jet please make sure that it's actually a training type, not a 2 seat combat bird - there are differences. If in doubt, ask about the specific type via PM. (I'm hoping to do a Matchbox TF-104 as it'll be a quick build.)

On 11/21/2018 at 12:04 AM, MarkSH said:

I'm in with a Revell 1/48 Stearman PT-17 an Airfix (newish) 1/72 Gnat T.1 and an already started (<25%) Airfix 1/72 JP T.5 from the old Strikemaster kit.

Nice selection! The Gnat is a fine little kit, if a little fiddly. Mine's 99% of the way there... Maybe you can do the new JP kit as well, make it an Airfix JP twofer? :D

2 hours ago, 825 said:

I've a two seat Harrier, two seat Hunter and a Canberra T4 conversion kit all winking at me from the stash. Will contribute at least one. 

Do 'em all, you know that you want to! :)

Welcome to the GB gents. Start time is getting ever closer!

• Haha 1