Mosquito XVIII

rossm

I want to build Mosquito XVIII NT225 'O' in 1/72. Please can anyone tell me if there are decals for a red O with yellow surround 24" (?) high?

4 hours ago, rossm said:

I want to build Mosquito XVIII NT225 'O' in 1/72. Please can anyone tell me if there are decals for a red O with yellow surround 24" (?) high?

I couldn't find any decals,  despite a pretty decent search. You might try making a mask for the yellow and the red portions of the letter 'O' as it is a rather unique squared-off font, or cutting yellow decal stock and then red decal over it. Wish you hadn't brought this up, as that is the very same Mk XVIII that I have alway wanted to do. If you don't have the MMP monograph "Shipbuster" I would get it, as it has excellent detail photos and diagrams on the airplane. I have attached a link to a build posted here on BM that I think will be useful...I think he made a mask for the code letter. Alleycat did a conversion and decal sheet for NT225, but it was for the 1/24 Airfix kit, IIRC. (A decal sheet that has Luftwaffe codes might have a red 'O' with a yellow surround, but most likely won't have the correct font- worth a try, though!)

Mike

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/profile/15969-tail-dragon/&do=content&type=forums_topic_post&change_section=1

If you could find a suitable font, you could try printing up you own onto white decal paper.  You could (having found the font) do this in msword if you have a reasonable new version with Text Effect available on fonts which allows you to do the yellow outline on a red character.  

Thanks both............................

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

I couldn't find any decals,  despite a pretty decent search. You might try making a mask for the yellow and the red portions of the letter 'O' as it is a rather unique squared-off font, or cutting yellow decal stock and then red decal over it. Wish you hadn't brought this up, as that is the very same Mk XVIII that I have alway wanted to do. If you don't have the MMP monograph "Shipbuster" I would get it, as it has excellent detail photos and diagrams on the airplane. I have attached a link to a build posted here on BM that I think will be useful...I think he made a mask for the code letter. Alleycat did a conversion and decal sheet for NT225, but it was for the 1/24 Airfix kit, IIRC. (A decal sheet that has Luftwaffe codes might have a red 'O' with a yellow surround, but most likely won't have the correct font- worth a try, though!)

Mike

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/profile/15969-tail-dragon/&do=content&type=forums_topic_post&change_section=1

I tried searching Hannants "All Decals" for the word "outline" but got nothing that was red outlined yellow - the Luftwaffe ones are the other way about.

I do have the MMP "Shipbuster" book, it was looking through it for XVIIIs in D-Day stripes that got me NT225.

1 hour ago, Grey Beema said:

If you could find a suitable font, you could try printing up you own onto white decal paper.  You could (having found the font) do this in msword if you have a reasonable new version with Text Effect available on fonts which allows you to do the yellow outline on a red character.  

I have a selection of RAF fonts from simmers paint shop but it seems to have gone offline so I can only use them on my old PC where they were installed, shouldn't be a problem though. Assuming one is suitable I guess I print medium sea grey or dark green around them according to the camouflage pattern. Alternatively scan the drawing in the MMP book and try to allow for the fuselage curvature in Photoshop using the roundel as a guide (when it is round the letter should be the right shape). Hopefully I could trim the outside accurately but the inside of the O would be a different matter.

54 minutes ago, rossm said:

I have a selection of RAF fonts from simmers paint shop but it seems to have gone offline so I can only use them on my old PC where they were installed, shouldn't be a problem though. Assuming one is suitable I guess I print medium sea grey or dark green around them according to the camouflage pattern. Alternatively scan the drawing in the MMP book and try to allow for the fuselage curvature in Photoshop using the roundel as a guide (when it is round the letter should be the right shape). Hopefully I could trim the outside accurately but the inside of the O would be a different matter.

For the O on the port side of the fuselage you are OK as there is a solid Dark Green at the top and solid MSG at the bottom (I would have to go and look at the RGB colour for both) so it would be quite straight forward.  Starboard side would be more involved but reasonably straight forward.  Bit of surreptitious painting upto the edge of your letter and you should be there.  With the right RGB colour codes it should come out close to you paint colour..

Hope that helps (I had to do a red O with a white border recently..  @corsaircorp Is just about to do the same...

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

For the O on the port side of the fuselage you are OK as there is a solid Dark Green at the top and solid MSG at the bottom (I would have to go and look at the RGB colour for both) so it would be quite straight forward.  Starboard side would be more involved but reasonably straight forward.  Bit of surreptitious painting upto the edge of your letter and you should be there.  With the right RGB colour codes it should come out close to you paint colour..

Hope that helps (I had to do a red O with a white border recently..  @corsaircorp Is just about to do the same...

Waf !!

The Hellcat has not landed at CC castle yet !!

I think that I will try the Oramask way, when I saw the result obtained by our Dear @TheBaron on  his Iron Chicken, it's pretty tempting !

Surely not easy but tempting !

Sincerely.

CC

On 9/21/2018 at 12:46 PM, rossm said:

I built this very aircraft in 1/48 quite a few years back, here in the In Progress forum, and had the same problem. I solved it by cutting some decal film and lettering, link should be below, go to the third page in, I put some pics to show how I did it.

Hope that helps.

12 minutes ago, Neil said:

I built this very aircraft in 1/48 quite a few years back, here in the In Progress forum, and had the same problem. I solved it by cutting some decal film and lettering, link should be below, go to the third page in, I put some pics to show how I did it.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that, I'm planning on the 1/72 Tamiya kit plus Paragon conversion (of course!). I have the advantage of being able to use an Almark decals red O as a base if I try your method, although that scales out at 27" in spite of being marked as 24" it'll be near enough. You've sent down a googly by mentioning the canopy though, not sure where to find one in 1/72, it may just have to be ignored. I know Falcon do one with bulges both sides which could be modified (with a steady enough hand) but mine is lined up for a B.XVI with, guess what, another Paragon product for the engines and six stack exhausts.

I think I'm leaning to a yellow surround for the O, if only because 404 Squadron, just up the road at Davidstow, used yellow surrounds on their Beaus which creates enough of a precedent for me but I'm happy for other folk to have other opinions.

1 hour ago, rossm said:

You've sent down a googly by mentioning the canopy though, not sure where to find one in 1/72, it may just have to be ignored. I know Falcon do one with bulges both sides which could be modified

It's a while since I have looked at the 1/72 Tamiya Mosquito FBVI, but I 'think' it may include the bulged starboard canopy window as an optional part on the sprue. Will check on that.

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

It's a while since I have looked at the 1/72 Tamiya Mosquito FBVI, but I 'think' it may include the bulged starboard canopy window as an optional part on the sprue. Will check on that.

You're right, should have looked before panicking!

1 hour ago, rossm said:

but mine is lined up for a B.XVI with, guess what, another Paragon product for the engines and six stack exhausts.

Just remembered, I fitted those when I converted the 1/72 Tamiya B IV into a PR 34.

Have to love the Mosquito ......  😊

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

Just remembered, I fitted those when I converted the 1/72 Tamiya B IV into a PR 34.

Have to love the Mosquito ......  😊

Mine won't look quite that good but it will have the Miles M52 test vehicle underneath as Kes was planning here https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235018091-dh-mosquito-b-xvi-in-172/