HMS King George V

Ray S

Hello all. Last Christmas my son gave me this kit as a very nice present, and, wonder of wonders, I actually finished it within the calendar year. I normally end up putting new kits into the stash only to be discovered years later!

I wanted to do something different with this model. I could not afford the photo-etch set for this one this time, so I built it entirely OOB. I did take a bit of a liberty and painted it in the 1944 scheme illustrated on the side of the box, but I am fully aware that the configuration had changed between then and 1945 which was how the model was fitted out. It's my model and I built how I want to, built how I want to, you would do to if it happened to you! You could make a song out of that methinks...

Anyway, I really wanted to give Colourcoats paint a really good tryout. I had built a Short Stirling and used their Dark Green and Night Black and got on well with them, so now it was the ideal canvas to try a disruptive pattern on this, largish model. I only brush-paint (unless I use white when I upgrade to a rattle can!). I promptly went to the Soveriegn Hobbies website and downloaded their colour notes for KGV, and decided to do the disruptive option despite the fit differences. I had already completed my set of Colourcoats RN paints (two days before @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies  announced his new NARN series of updated RN Colours), so I knew I probably had the right ones. I tried to follow the guide on the box for colour demarcations, but used Jamie's notes for the actual colours. I thinned the paints with Colourcoats own thinners, and they worked a treat, but oddly I found that the lightest colours covered more completely than the darker ones! I strongly suspect that was me causing that, but after a couple of coats for the light gray and light blue, and three for the dark gray and dark blue, I was well and truly happy with the results from this brand of paint. Top marks Jamie!

The kit itself was great, not much flash and quite nicely detailed for me, but I have to admit that in the end I wished I had been able to get the etch to raise the bar a bit. It looked 'wrong' without any railings, and as for the cranes, well...

Anyway, here is what I ended up with, one quite colourful ship, and a large one to boot!

43009003540_67a6b96d1d_b.jpg

43909728865_eab619d323_b.jpg

44820159711_c735de833e_b.jpg

44820166161_7a8b612a2c_b.jpg

44820172781_d93a14a6f4_b.jpg

29882907387_729393885a_b.jpg

29882909707_84688ac08f_b.jpg

44099905224_05cbffe59e_b.jpg

I did have to take some (more) liberties with the camouflage scheme as I could not quite figure out how the colours wrapped around athwartships (if that means side-to-side) for the for and aft superstructure colours.

These models were ones that my brother and I used to drool over when we were gazing through the catalogues back in the day, and I am very glad my son treated me to this one.

Thanks for looking,

Ray

PS - Looking at these pictures, I have realised I still need to paint the anchor 'chains'! Doh!

• Like 22

Thanks all for looking in and for the comments and 'likes' for this model.

I had a great bundle of fun building it, and it is now safe and sound in a display area, hopefully where it will not get damaged.

All the best everyone, and thanks again,

Ray

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Bit late I know bit I hope I haven't-ahem- missed the boat🚢🙋🏼‍♂️ 😀

Great job that mate with excellent camo- I hope you're very pleased with the results- you should be- well done 👍🏽👍🏽

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pandoa said:

Bit late I know bit I hope I haven't-ahem- missed the boat🚢🙋🏼‍♂️😀

Great job that mate with excellent camo- I hope you're very pleased with the results- you should be- well done 👍🏽👍🏽

@Pandoa, I was very happy with the camo - I had been wanting something along these lines for ages, but always thought I did not have the skills! My son bought me the kit a couple of Christmases ago, and I thought it would be a good reason to try it out! The Colourcoats paints worked very well, I brush-painted the whole ship as I do not have an airbrush.

Last Christmas my son also gave me the Revell 1/144 Flower Class Corvette, so I can see if I have improved when I get around to doing that one.

Many thanks for the comment,

Ray

5 minutes ago, Ray S said:

@Pandoa, I was very happy with the camo - I had been wanting something along these lines for ages, but always thought I did not have the skills! My son bought me the kit a couple of Christmases ago, and I thought it would be a good reason to try it out! The Colourcoats paints worked very well, I brush-painted the whole ship as I do not have an airbrush.

Last Christmas my son also gave me the Revell 1/144 Flower Class Corvette, so I can see if I have improved when I get around to doing that one.

Many thanks for the comment,

Ray

1/144 must be a good sized scale to work with Ray so I'll look forward to seeing your results 😀👍🏼

I've got the Flyhawk 1/700 Campbletown sailing it's way to me from China- in just waiting on it dropping thru my porch letterbox- I've put myself under great pressure trying to do something so small- my eyes can't quite keep up with the pace these days 

I noticed as well you are using a Nikon D50 for your photos? And what a great camera it is- I used one myself for general photography for a long while some years ago only for the shutter to pack up and quoted repair bills virtually costing more than the camera itself! Unfortunately it had to go meet its maker- I'll have to sort out a new one- I'm contemplating a bridge camera for model photography

Good luck with the Corvette! 

Craig

• Like 1