1/72 Matchbox Phantom Canopy

Nickred

Help needed guys, currently building a 1/72 Matchbox Phantom (I know, I know! But I need to free some space!) unfortunately the canopy dropped on the floor and I’ve trodden on it. Any recommendations where I can source a replacement? 

If you want a matchbox part, your only chance is to find a modeller with a wrecked phatom kit willing to donate or sell you the canopy

Aeroclub had a vacform replacement many years ago, likely pretty hard to find today.

You can adapt other canopies, one option would be buying a Fujimi British Phantom as these come with two set of canopies and adapt one of them to the Matchbox fuselage, something that will have the added bonus of making this area much more accurate. I've done this and it's not hard

Alternatively you may try to adapt the Rob Taurus vacform canopy, never tried this before though so can't comment on how easy or not it may be

Nick, if you don't get a better offer (predictive texas told me I should've written 'vebber otter' - search me!), I can assist with a Matchbox canopy. Let me know, but it might take a little while as it's going to come from Darn Unda.

1 hour ago, Nickred said:

Help needed guys, currently building a 1/72 Matchbox Phantom (I know, I know! But I need to free some space!) unfortunately the canopy dropped on the floor and I’ve trodden on it. Any recommendations where I can source a replacement? 

I had a similar problem with this kit. The matchbox canopy is a bit difficult as its a bit strange in that the  clear bits are just the" windows" of the canopy and the canopy frames are  moulded onto the fuselage sides . If you look they are quite clearly marked.  I sourced a fujimi canopy  the opening type (they also do a full closed one IIRC as an option) which is the full item (clear bits and frames) cut back the fuselage frames on the fuselage moldings  to the lines, and the Fujimi canopies fitted perfectly, and they looked fantastic, far far better than the stock matchbox item. I suggest you  source an opening Fujimi canopy  and do the same.

Selwyn

• Like 3