TAIC captured Dinah

Avereda

I’m going to enter with a Misubushi Ki-46 II Dinah captured by US forces in 1944 and operated by TAIC in New Guinea. The kit will be the Airfix (Home Bargains three quidder) 1/72 one, sprues and box shots to follow. The decals are from the Max Models Dying Sun Part 1 set, originally released by Rising Decals.

First up I need to discuss colour, the colour call out on the decal sheet suggests Mr Color 128 Grey Green, which I’m assuming is the Hempish Colour used by the Japanese. I’ve seen a few photos online http://captured-wings.wikia.com/wiki/C/n_2846 and http://silverhawkauthor.com/japanese-warplanes-of-the-second-world-war-preserved-2-mitsubishi-imperial-japanese-army-air-service-and-imperial-japanese-navy-air-service_408.html - the second link has photos showing the later markings from when the aircraft was transferred back to the US and a different Dinah in surrender markings.

I’m not convinced by the decal colour call outs, the overall impression is of a darker tone possibly Neutral Gray or even Olive Drab. It also seems unlikely to me that the US repair crew would have resprayed in JAAF colours and then added US markings. Also I can see no evidence for the retention of yellow ID markings on the wings.

30946936288_b46f307128_b.jpg

44090410004_d1a9509e2e.jpg

Edited by Avereda
  • Like 6

welcome aboard with something completely different.

I didn't expect to see a captured aircraft in the build, but it fit the brief, so why not.

Good luck with her, am looking forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• 1 month later...

Better get started, box shot, sprues and decals below. I can’t find a direct match for the original interior colour amongst my paints so there may have to be an element of home-brew. The other option would be to assume an internal respray, something to ponder while masking the canopies.

45454597051_cc3a545e30_b.jpg

45454596801_fde878e966_b.jpg

45454596921_0579a0ed50_b.jpg

• Like 4

For some reason I always thought this machine had been stripped of paint and was in either natural metal or overall silver as was the case with some other captured Japanese aircraft. Either way you choose to paint it makes for an interesting and unusual model.

On 10/22/2018 at 3:43 PM, Col. said:

For some reason I always thought this machine had been stripped of paint and was in either natural metal or overall silver as was the case with some other captured Japanese aircraft. Either way you choose to paint it makes for an interesting and unusual model.

I think part of the problem is that the existing photographs show it in various stages of repair/repainting. I was wondering though if it was routine to strip captured Japanese, or indeed any enemy, aircraft given the poor quality of the original paint?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Avereda said:

I think part of the problem is that the existing photographs show it in various stages of repair/repainting. I was wondering though if it was routine to strip captured Japanese, or indeed any enemy, aircraft given the poor quality of the original paint?

Now you mention it that would make sense. Easier to strip off all the old paint and then add the new national insignia over bare metal to ensure it stays rather than risk it flaking off. I know of an A6m and Ki-61 that were done this way and I'm sure there's other examples.

On 10/24/2018 at 8:27 PM, Avereda said:

“Surrender” colours perhaps?

Or may be to make quick identification of a friendly.  Similar to the Meteors used in occupied Europe at wars end??

• 4 weeks later...

Finally under way. Colours will all be guesswork at best, I’m going for something like the original Japanese interior for starters. They’ll be no aftermarket or poor scratching of the internals, hopefully the thick canopy plastic will do its job.

45291645254_6b282dc8ea_b.jpg

• Like 3

We’re seeing a few of these Dinah’s built lately, such a lovely aircraft. Great choice of scheme you’ve picked and reminds me to  check up on how the local heritage listed Hangar 7 site is progressing at Eagle Farm airport. This was another branch of the ATAIU where they tested a good number of Japanese captured aircraft, most of which were stripped and repainted in US insignia. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• 2 weeks later...

A bit further down the line, currently at the messy filler stage. The dihedral seems to have gone a bit south as well.

46159492151_5c5d9b5c73_b.jpg

Edited by Avereda
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2018 at 12:06 PM, Avereda said:

A bit further down the line, currently at the messy filler stage. The dihedral seems to have gone a bit south as well.

Decided I couldn’t live with the lack of dihedral, wings off and I’ll reset

45303966475_28efa34959_b.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, trickyrich said:

oh dear, least you were able to cover it, thin plastic strip should be able to help set them to the correct angle 

Thanks, things look a little better now

45318561895_b8b3463fcf_b.jpg

Edited by Avereda
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

If I’m going to finish anything this year it’s going to have to be this one. Bad football results are casting bad karma over proceedings but on we go. Some speculative Olive Drab on the upper surfaces - you might just be able to make out some preshading.

44657664470_2611f1fc10_b.jpg

• Like 3

Still plodding on regardless - some thin, fragile decals on. Annoyingly the fin markings need a white undercoat so I abandoned decaling temporarily. Another couple of weeks and I might have this one out of the way.

45833142204_96df075544_b.jpg

• Like 3

This all went bad at the decaling stage so I’ll now have to try and finish it as the later non-Pacific version. Slated to die another day on this thread 

• Like 1