F-4EJ 306 squadron colors, markings

72modeler

I have always been interested in doing a JSDAF F-4EJ from 306 Squadron, 6th Air Wing, as it carried  a very unique and colorful anniversary scheme at one point in its career. It was featured on the cover and  two color photos inside the November, 1986 copy of Koku-Fan. There was also a b&w diagram of the upper camouflage pattern, but not the lower or either side pattern. The pattern was very stylized and appeared to be an eagle, hawk, or warrior. I have the two colors used for the scheme figured out, but could really use the lower pattern, if any; I think I can figure out the fuselage pattern from the photos in the magazine. Nose modex was black  '306' with the numbers outlined in  yellow, as was the serial on the fin, which looked like 27-8306. Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Mike

http://aviationphotodigest.com/f-4-phantoms-of-the-japanese-air-self-defense-force/

Hello Mike ... @72modeler Im on it try this webpage and if you can link a photo of the photo you have.  

Dennis

P.S. - Are you looking for the Sea scheme Mike ? If so the best colors are USN Gloss sea blue and Intermediate blue. Ive been wanting to do that scheme on a phantom as well. 

Or is it this one ?

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Japan-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-Mitsubishi-F-4EJ-Kai-Phantom-II/948229

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

I don't think it's either, Dennis. I found a link to the cover of the No. 11 November, 1986 Koku-Fan that shows the 306th Hikotai 6th Wing F-4EJ that I have always wanted to do. From comparing my FS color chips to the three color photos, it looks like the undersides are  painted in FS17875, white, the fuselage and upper flying surfaces appear very close to FS35240, and the outlines of the bird/warrior on the upper fuselage, spine, and wings appears very close to FS35177. The shape on the nose that runs from the windscreen to the radome  is outlined in yellow. As the 306th was in the process of replacing their F-4EJ's with F-15's, I was thinking maybe the darker color might have been the F-15 color as an homage. The blue on the spine and upper surfaces of the two color references you posted look very close to the upper surface color on the one I want to do, but the lighter blue looks much darker and bluer than the lighter of the two colors on the sides and flying surfaces of my project F-4. I have exhausted every possible search wording possibility I could think of, and I have never seen any other photos of this F-4 anywhere else except that Koku-Fan magazine. I guess it will stay on the  'someday' section of my shelves! On the magazine  cover of my copy, the darker color is bluer and lighter than the antiglare, not like it appears in the photo I have linked.

Mike

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KOKU-FAN-Nov-1986-Leaders-Formation-Cuinese-MiG-Fighters-T-28-Trojan-Korea-War/361669024968?hash=item5435275cc8:g:u2wAAOSwaB5Xmiuy

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 72modeler said:

306th Hikotai 6th Wing F-4EJ 

Found another photo. About 2/3rds down the page.

http://www.j-hangarspace.jp/jasdf-squadron-histories

I will keep looking? The magazine was from 1986, that tells me the scheme predates that ? So i will start searching early 80’s photo’s. 

Dennis

PS - Have you reached out to Junchan ? As he is from Japan He might have a better detailed photo collection ? Im always amazed by his photo’s ? 

PPS - I have an Email into a friend of mine. He is a certifiable Phantom Nut, and i am hoping he might have something in his files ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

This is the cover of november Koku Fan in '86

s-l500.jpg

So the image Zach showed is the right one. Next step is to find unserside photos.....which won't be easy.... I'll try and find some more info for you

Cheers, Evert

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, whiskey said:

Anything like this?

aF42j-41.jpg

http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/aF42j.html

Zach,

That sure looks like the same one! Now I just need a photo or drawing that shows the underside, as looking at this photo, it appears there are two colors underneath the wings for sure. Thank you so much!

Mike

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Flyingdutchman said:

This is the cover of november Koku Fan in '86

s-l500.jpg

So the image Zach showed is the right one. Next step is to find unserside photos.....which won't be easy.... I'll try and find some more info for you

Cheers, Evert

Thank you so much! My jet references are mainly Century Series and older; don't have  nearly as much on the moderm weenie cookers!

Mike

3 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Zach,

That sure looks like the same one! Now I just need a photo or drawing that shows the underside, as looking at this photo, it appears there are two colors underneath the wings for sure. Thank you so much!

Mike

No problem, jut did some digging around. Honestly if you cannot find a credible source for an underside or any source at all for that matter, just paint it whatever and I am sure no one will be the wiser.

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Found another photo. About 2/3rds down the page.

http://www.j-hangarspace.jp/jasdf-squadron-histories

I will keep looking? The magazine was from 1986, that tells me the scheme predates that ? So i will start searching early 80’s photo’s. 

Dennis

PS - Have you reached out to Junchan ? As he is from Japan He might have a better detailed photo collection ? Im always amazed by his photo’s ? 

PPS - I have an Email into a friend of mine. He is a certifiable Phantom Nut, and i am hoping he might have something in his files ? 

Dennis,

Yep, that's the one! Pretty Phantom, is she not? I hadn't thought about checking with Junchan- will do that; he's kinda the Japanese Old Viper Tester when it comes  to jet photos! Thank you so much- I owe you my friend! Is this the greatest modeling website or what?

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Mike,

I believe these will come in handy. Aircraft wore this paint scheme prior to the "Kai" upgrade...so it's a straight up F-4EJ. Note the external fuel tanks are painted in the two tone light greys...common with the "all light grey" schemes of the JASDF phantoms.

Have a great day.

Patrick

5f2b9f9a-3597-4b3d-86b1-e39050d66565.jpg

resized_4297cf08-bc55-4ef1-8c76-f21eba04

Edited by Modelpig
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1