Silver City Bristol Superfreighter - Finished

bigbadbadge

Hi all

I have been doing a bit of this.  I remember watching these fly in and out of Lydd Airport in the late 70s although not in Silver City livery along with Heralds and Viscounts.  I am using the S&M Decals and the Aircraft is named City Of London.

cb12fb3a-b8ea-4e16-9aec-5b53db845c0a.JPG

She is quite a biggie

a835cdae-f164-4693-b5fd-af9e6e15f212.JPG

Here she is next to a Maquette 1/72 HP Dart Herald

8b53665e-90f4-4ee7-8619-f34311b39705.JPG

6d31cb05-db02-403d-b05a-c7aa120991de.JPG

c7bde478-ab6d-4e35-b472-2e76df6b32c1.JPG

Sprayed with acrylic car paint, I don't usually spray paint but with something this large, I hope you will forgive me.

c7fe84df-65c9-4d36-831b-d1bff0a920b8.JPG

e2330ce6-1f30-4cc0-b72e-7cd45efb49a8.JPG

Decals started This is the first time I have used the S&M Decals,  They did crack in a few places but it might have been the sheer size of the decals or could well have been my fault. 

e6859317-103c-44a1-bffa-a33bd7e9b1ce.JPG

Oh dear

e95866cd-ab9f-4b55-9c81-7a76472baaf8.JPG

This side went on better.

f2a9a1c4-c169-4653-a388-f84a92e68643.JPG

I have been touching in the damaged bits to the decals with paint.

Thanks for looking

All the best
Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge
  • Like 24

That's a real blast from the past. 

I loved this kit as a youg'un and I've still got a soft spot for it all these years later. 

The name Silver City has always held fond memories for me, as I used to see their old DC 3's flying in and out of Newcastle airport when my Dad flew from there to meet up with whichever ship he was due to join. 

You've done a cracking job with your Superfreighter so far and if you don't mind, I'll tag along with you to the end. 

Edited by cngaero
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cngaero said:

That's a real blast from the past. 

I loved this kit as a youg'un and I've still got a soft spot for it all these years later. 

The name Silver City has always held fond memories for me, as I used to see their old DC 3's flying in and out of Newcastle airport when my Dad flew from there to meet up with whichever ship he was due to join. 

You've done a cracking job with your Superfreighter so far and if you don't mind, I'll tag along with you to the end. 

Thanks Chris.  I was very lucky as a littlun as they crossed the  back corner of our school field on approach to Lyddon airport.  I forgot to mention the Dakotas too such lovely sounds. 

47 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I love the Freighter and Super Freighter so I'm really up for this build!

Enthusiastic of Mars 👽

Thanks Martian 

There is something beautiful in the shape of this unusual aircraft.  I have had this kit a few years and really wanted to start it.  The Herald is also underway as you can see  and I have  Mach 2 Viscount to build too.

Thanks guys

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 1

Definitely going to be watching this.  Got the same kit and decal sheet.  I went on a school trip to Lydd airport, circa 1977.  I  remember Viscounts and DC-3s though, alas, no Superfreighters.  Being an aeroplane nut I used up most of the film reels on our school Super 8 camera capturing Viscounts landing and taxiing.  The film rolls were supposed to last us a whole week but I used up about two thirds of them that day.  I thought I was going to get a right rocket when all the film got developed but instead was given a team point for my good camerawork.      

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, ptmvarsityfan said:

Great subject! Im still waiting for Fly to release their short-nosed Freighter.

Will follow this with interest,cheers, Paul

Thanks Paul, the short nose release by Flycatcher will be interesting.  Are you doing a military machine? 

8 hours ago, CedB said:

I've got one of these in the stash so will follow along with interest - although it looks as though she's almost done!

Any issues with the kit?

Hi Ced thanks.  No real issues at all apart from a slight misalignment on one of the engine nacelles but this is very minor and the canopy was slightly to shallow in height but only needs a strip of plasticard rod to space it. 

That is about it at the moment and it the rest went together well really.  I have enjoyed putting it together. 

8 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Definitely going to be watching this.  Got the same kit and decal sheet.  I went on a school trip to Lydd airport, circa 1977.  I  remember Viscounts and DC-3s though, alas, no Superfreighters.  Being an aeroplane nut I used up most of the film reels on our school Super 8 camera capturing Viscounts landing and taxiing.  The film rolls were supposed to last us a whole week but I used up about two thirds of them that day.  I thought I was going to get a right rocket when all the film got developed but instead was given a team point for my good camerawork.      

Thanks MB8 .

I think the Superfreighters were more visitors whereas the DC3s and Viscounts stayed.  The DC3s were Skyways machines (just looked it up) I think in the 1980s I recall the yellow  Janus  Airways Heralds. I would love a set of the S&M Decals for one of those.  

I am visiting Lydd Airport in October for a breakfast  clubmeet with the car club so may take the opportunity to have a butchers and take the camera too.  

Thanks and all the best 

Chris 

Edited by bigbadbadge
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Paul, the short nose release by Flycatcher will be interesting.  Are you doing a military machine? 

Hi Ced thanks.  No real issues at all apart from a slight misalignment on one of the engine nacelles but this is very minor and the canopy was slightly to shallow in height but only needs a strip of plasticard rod to space it. 

That is about it at the moment and it the rest went together well really.  I have enjoyed putting it together. 

Thanks MB8 .

I think the Superfreighters were more visitors whereas the DC3s and Viscounts stayed.  The DC3s were Skyways machines (just looked it up) I think in the 1980s I recall the yellow  Janus  Airways Heralds. I would love a set of the S&M Decals for one of those.  

I am visiting Lydd Airport in October for a breakfast  clubmeet with the car club so may take the opportunity to have a butchers and take the camera too.  

Thanks and all the best 

Chris 

I did a bit of filming there for the BBC a few years back.  Lydd has a very nice cafe if I remember correctly.  It was mainly general aviation by that stage although you could fly to Le Touquet in a Islander as a day trip.  I understand the airport has big plans and has taken to calling itself (rather amusingly) London Ashford.  I wonder when Exeter airport will start calling itself London Exeter.   London Benbecula would be good.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Interesting and coming together quickly. I built one a while back using the Magna short nose conversion. The one recently acquired from Australia by the Bristol Aerospace Museum has disappeared into storage while they sort out where to display it. I was never lucky enough to see one in the flesh so hope they get it on display soon.

• Thanks 1

She looks to have a beautifully smooth finish so far.  Did you tone down the rivets at all?  I just did so with the Frog Shackleton.  Quite a tedious task but at least I no longer get lacerations when I pick it up.  It went well enough for me to consider doing the same on my Superfreighter.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

id a bit of filming there for the BBC a few years back.  Lydd has a very nice cafe if I remember correctly.  It was mainly general aviation by that stage although you could fly to Le Touquet in a Islander as a day trip.  I understand the airport has big plans and has taken to calling itself (rather amusingly) London Ashford.  I wonder when Exeter airport will start calling itself London Exeter.   London Benbecula would be good.  

Ha ha lol.  We thought it was funny them calling themselves London Ashford Airport too.   I have been in the  Biggles bar for a party years back.  I guess I shall find out what the cafe is like soon when I take the car along for the clubmeet. 

1 hour ago, bristol boy said:

Interesting and coming together quickly. I built one a while back using the Magna short nose conversion. The one recently acquired from Australia by the Bristol Aerospace Museum has disappeared into storage while they sort out where to display it. I was never lucky enough to see one in the flesh so hope they get it on display soon.

Thanks BB . That will be a spectacular machine close up. They are rather large. 

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

She looks to have a beautifully smooth finish so far.  Did you tone down the rivets at all?  I just did so with the Frog Shackleton.  Quite a tedious task but at least I no longer get lacerations when I pick it up.  It went well enough for me to consider doing the same on my Superfreighter.

Thanks MB8  yes I did sand off the rivets. I actually would have liked to keep them but it would have looked odd with the ones around the seems missing after sanding. They are not fully removed and there is the slightest representation left although this may well disappear under paint etc.

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 2

Coming on well, I have the kit and Magna conversion, but held off when the Fly one was announced. I fancy an RCAF one  as they flew into Langar in Nottinghamshire. 

• Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 4:25 AM, Moa said:

nonsense.

16 hours ago, Mr T said:

Coming on well, I have the kit and Magna conversion, but held off when the Fly one was announced. I fancy an RCAF one  as they flew into Langar in Nottinghamshire. 

Thanks Moa and Mr T, The RCAF one sounds nice.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

Hi all

Done a little bit more.  I hade to use the stripes from the Kit for the loading doors on the nose as the thin lines on the S&M decals would have worked out to be on the inside of the blue area.  The kit ones went on okay but the thin line is not quite the same or as thin as the lovely S&M decals ones.  I have painted the area in between the decal lines and so now have the complete fuselage strip.  I will coat with several coats of varnish and then hopefully will be able to mask off to paint the lower fuselage aluminium colour.  Engines are now on and await a small amount of tidying before paint and the undercarriage legs. 

1c62a33c-4a30-4a7d-8bf8-4deb6303e43b.JPG

95daf028-81fc-4cc8-8b12-409f09f046b1.JPG

a39a525a-1690-4c14-adf7-c5f692603288.JPG

b99cbcb2-af35-4866-9012-a81c1afc14f0.JPG

Thanks for looking

All the best
Chris

• Like 18

There's something quite majestic about the Superfreighter and your build is really doing it justice. Good luck with the masking on those (well-varnished but delicate) stripes.

What paint are you planning to use for the metal finish?

Brian

• Thanks 1

This is looking lovely! You are being way too hard on yourself about the stripes. I would never have picked up on them had you not mentioned the issue and even then had to look really hard.

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Great job Chris, those stripes are impressive!

Makes me want to get mine out of the stash sooner rather than later :) 

Thanks Ced it is a lovely Kit. 

2 hours ago, bhouse said:

There's something quite majestic about the Superfreighter and your build is really doing it justice. Good luck with the masking on those (well-varnished but delicate) stripes.

What paint are you planning to use for the metal finish?

Brian

Thanks Brian I am a tad nervous about the masking on the decals. I will use Humbrol 56 Aluminium. I will be brush painting too. I do like a challenge. 

7 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Fantastic Chris, coming on well :)

Thanks Neil that's very kind of you.  

Thanks everyone. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

This is looking lovely! You are being way too hard on yourself about the stripes. I would never have picked up on them had you not mentioned the issue and even then had to look really hard.

Martian 👽

Thanks Martian. I know but it really stood out when I first saw it.  I might just run a small bit of white in the gap just to ease the effect. 

7 minutes ago, bhouse said:

Humbrol 56 with a brush! Perfect answer 👍🏻

Thanks Brian 

All the best 

Chris