what Merlin is represented in the ICM Spitfire kits

Kevin1746

well, since the ICM kits (VII, VIII, IX, XVI) were all Merlin 60 series engined variants (ie two stage supercharger ) then the same engine was fine for all the kits.....  the only real external difference possibly would be between a Rolls Royce Merlin and Packard Merlin (as fitted the Mk.XVI, and the reason for the different Mk. number, otherwise a IX and XVI are the same basic airframe) 

As for what the engine actually is.....  it's noted for being underscale, to fit in the kit cowling panels,  and being a bit basic.  

I would suggest using the 'edit' then 'full edit' to change the thread heading to "what Merlin is represented in the ICM Spitfire kits"  as you might well get a better answer, but I hope this answers your basic question.

If you want a decent exposed Merlin in a 1/48th Merlin 60 Spitfire, an Eduard kit with a Brassin engine would be the way to go.

If you wanted to use the ICM engines in something else, do some searches 

the main engine block looks pretty similar on all Merlins,  the main changes are at the back with different superchargers

eg Merlin III

rolls-3.jpg

This is a Rolls-Royce Merlin 60 with two stage supercharger and aftercooler

V1650Pro.jpg

More gubbins at the back..... and this is why a Hurricane II is longer than a Hurricane I, and why a Spitfire IX is longer the a I or V... the stuff at the back, as the back sits against the main spar (Hurricane) and Frame 5 firewall (Spitfire) the the only way to put them in is to make the nose longer...

I know very little really about engines, and Merlins are a very very complex subject... I jsut know what the basic are regarding models...

anyway, HTH

Edited by Troy Smith

I know it's undersized, but still almost impossible to get underneath the ICM panels.. The reason I have over a dozen .  I tend to build them as a bit of fun between models  as standalone. I'm going to use one in a engine fitting scenario out of the plane..  

I'll give the Edouards aftermarket engine a try