1/700th Hasegawa IJN Furataka Heavy Cruiser

Hi chaps, another tiddler for the cabinet, this time it's the 1/700th Hasegawa IJN Furataka (limited edition) that featured in last months edition of Airfix Model World. If you'll indulge me a wee bit of history about the ship:

''Named after a mountain in Hiroshima, where the Imperial Japanese Navy Academy was located, the heavy cruiser, (Itto-Junyokan) Furutaka was commissioned at Nagasaki, Japan in 1926. During the opening chapters of the Pacific War, Furutaka sailed in support of the invasion of Guam and Wake islands as a part of Rear Admiral Aritomo Goto's 6th Sendai. Between 18 Jan and Mar 1942, with 6th Sendai, she supported Japanese landings at Rabaul, New Britain and Kavieng, New Ireland. During the night of 11-12 Oct 1942, Furutaka was engaged in the Battle of Cape Esperance. The American fleet crossed the Japanese fleet's 'T', and in the confusion of the start of the attack, Admiral Goto thought he was being fired upon by his own ships, and manoeuvred in a way that further exposed the fleet to the Americans. The Flagship Aoba was quickly hit and heavily damaged, mortally wounding Goto. Under the direction of Captain Tsutau Araki, Furutaka manoeuvred herself between Aoba and the American ships, sacrificing herself to protect the flagship from further harm''. 

As usual with Hasegawa, it's a great little kit that comes complete with basic PE, brass barrels wooden base and gold nameplate, (written in Japanese) so as part of my cunning plan I used the kit decal for the other side so everyone knew what it was! Built pretty well OOB, as requested by the editor, (though I did sneak in some extra Eduard ladders and additional railings) and as usual, rigging supplied by Uschi van der Rosten (standard and fine).

Painted using a mix of Lifecolor acrylics, Colourcoats enamels, AK Naval washes and Abteilung502 oils.

All in all a lot of fun, now back to big old battlewagons.

Cheers, all and thanks for looking.:cheers:

Melchiemoto 6th Sentai, 4th Dan, 3rd MOT...

4-_DSC_1717.jpg

6-_DSC_1724.jpg

3-_DSC_1716.jpg

5-_DSC_1718.jpg

7-_DSC_1725.jpg

2-_DSC_1714.jpg

8-_DSC_1726.jpg

1-_DSC_1711.jpg

• Like 29

Well Melchey you've knocked that one out of the ball park, you've even managed to weather the 1/700 aircraft, you must have eyes like a pee house rat as they say.

Been trying the Uschi rigging, nice stuff you just have to be careful you don't over stretch it when joining to others as it then pulls it out of shape

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Jolly good show general, looks the part with its fine rigging and subtle weathering.

How about another pic but with something to give it scale, like the customary pen?

Stuart 

It's about 264mm long, so bigger than the average parker pen 😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

How about another pic but with something to give it scale, like the customary pen?

Fountain or ball point? the latter is simply too incomprehensible to contemplate.

Rather nice war canoe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ballpoint!...good lord, are we back in the Dark Ages!...no, no, no I shall break out the Visconti Homo Sapiens as soon as the wind abates and I can clamber across the Trossachs to retrieve it from the Summer House. Hang on a tick I think it is a Visconti Homo Sapiens Dark Age pen, after all, well I'll be!

Visconti Homo Sapiens

• Haha 2

Well, unfortunately, the winds only increased, bringing down several of the Giant Redwoods, blocking my way through the garden pickle and preventing me gaining access to the Summer House... so, unfortunately, a ballpoint will have to do ...but at least it was pinched/acquired from a reputable hotel chain...

DSC_2388.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I just purloined/bought this model,  all based on that magazine build... now if only I didn’t have a love hate relationship with ships.. I love them they hate me....

great model build 

Ray

• Like 3

That was a good article, and the main reason why it's not being recycled when I'm done reading it!

Lovely looking lil ship. I've never been much into /700, until I bought Hasegawa's High Grade Hyuga to build as the pre-carrier version Ise. Sort of like training for the /350s I have just awaiting the time, space and mojo.🙃 Then I stalled mid build...

But the mojo may be coming back! (Along with a pair of Akagi from the Empire.😉)

I just hope I can get it looking half as good as this!

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 1

Thanks Thom, just happy it was of use to you, thanks for not recycling me.  :winkgrin: 

I think the Japanese designed some of best-looking warships, and these heavy cruisers were amongst the finest. Although I've got a mixture of scales on the go, including 1/72nd, 1/144th and 1/350th, I still prefer the 1/700th ones for some reason, I just enjoy detailing them more.

Hope the mojo returns soon, be nice to see the Hyuga finished not to mention the Akagis.

I'm sure it'll turn out just fine, if you have any questions please just ask away, I'm here to help...

• Like 1